Author Topic: Got my first Swedish Pimple  (Read 12146 times)

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
Got my first Swedish Pimple
« on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Today I decided to try something I'm unfamiliar with. I bought my first swedish pimple. I want to see if I can jig for some perch or possibly walleyes. I got a size 3 Orange Ice 1/5 oz. So now I'm hoping someone can explain to me some good techniques to use this lure. ;D If anyone has any do's and don'ts for using this lure it'd be greatly appreciated. Also what is the shallowest water I can use the S.W.? And lastly, what works best for tipping the hooks? I've heard perch eyes, grubs, spikes, minnow heads, etc. I'm sure all have a time and place to use em. Thanks  :bow:
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Caught my Limit....I see you only snagged one.

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
Re: Got my first Swedish Pimple
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Apparently nobody wants me to learn this secret weapon. Maybe cuz i'll dominate with it! jk.  ;D

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Aggressively pound the bottom with it for 10-15 seconds, then raise up a foot and "rock" it (very light but steady 1" pumps of the tip of your rod) .  Do you have a flasher or camera?  Either will be a great asset for this technique.

Sharp 1' snaps of the rod tip 5 or 6 times, then some very light jigging near bottom can work, too.

Tip with a waxies, a few spikes, or a minnow head, or fish it bare.

You really have to let the fish tell you what kind of mood they are in.  Sometimes they will slurp it right off the bottom (camera is useful for this!) sometime they will just barely mouth it sometimes they will hammer it hard when you are rocking it.  For perch, orange is a good color in my experience, seem to have most consistent luck on it.

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Thanks guys! Whats the shallowest water I can use this in?

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Anywhere from 1 FOW to 100 FOW !

Offline eyesntightlines

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer on the ice is always nice!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Love to fish the Pimple here full of maggots and works like a dream!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:31 AM »
use a barrell swivel up about 16 inches... will help to keep your line from twisting...those pimples spin alot underwater

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Once you catch your first keeper perch, tip your pimple with one of its eyes.  I use my curved forceps to carve and pinch an eye out.  Perch can't seem to resist.

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Pick up various colors of prism tape and change your colors at will.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:20 PM »
You just bought urself a very deadly weapon lol they are great for perch pike and the walleyes love em.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:54 PM »
i never leave home without the smallest size pimple in copper with cracked ice tape.  red flicker blade and the original treble replaced with a red one.    the original was bent by be with the foreceps  when i got in a hurry and twisted.     the fish will tell you what they want. start by bouncing of the bottom to create a mud cloud. raise the lure 6'' and let is spin for a bit.  jig it all the way to the bottom of the ice or, work it up in 12'' increments.   it/they have a very distinct drop when allowed to free fall. alot of times, the freefall and stop/spin is all it takes.   i like spikes on only one of the points of the treble but, have been known to use a minnow head or perch eye also.   

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Sorry you got a pimple, swedish or otherwise. Try soap and water.
Actually, they are deadly in lots of ways. My favorite is silver with glow tape. Perch, gills at times, trout, etc.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I don't have a technique when I use them.  I do however leave the treble on and hook the minnow in front of the Dorsal fin.  Whatever movement I do with it, 80% of the time, it works all the time!

Offline finished with engines

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Pimples are about the only thing that I use.  My preference is to remove the treble hook and replace it with a single hook.  I usualy bring minnows, waxies and wigglers with me and let the fish tell me what they want. 
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.... Teach a man to fish and his wife will never see him

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Aboslutely love pimples but give hawgers a try. Change the single hook to Gamakatsu treble or equivelant and tip accordingly.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:11 AM »
I can't find hawgers anymore.  Do you have a source?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline dingaling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Swedish Pimples have always been my go to jig for perch.  It definitely won't be the last one you buy!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I've caught Perch, Crappies, and Blue Gills on them.  The one thing I will say is tip it with a waxie and jig it like you'd jig any other jig and you'll be fine. 

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:51 PM »
swedish pimps are incredible jigs..work all the time
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I finally used some last season and had a blast, did well on the perch.  I can't wait for some ice this year.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:59 PM »
PK spoons > swedish pimples

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2012, 01:15 AM »
it's not whether one is better than the other, it's which one the fish want more at a certain point and time.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:21 AM »
my dad give me his since he no loger can ice fish he use to use them all the time

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:09 PM »
They all have there place and time. :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:08 PM »
For perch go with the smaller ones and tip them with a wax worm or mousey. 

Offline Swedish Pimpin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:43 PM »
My favorite lure hands down! I've used them to catch anything that swims...  Amazing Salmon lures in the summer also, especially florescent pink.   In the winter I tend to use the 3 smallest sizes, just silver.  Almost always tipped with a minnow head.  Normally a fish is going to hit the pimple on the way down, so longer jigs help,  But don't be afraid to very your presentation.   sometimes pausing between long or short jigs,  or just making it dance by barely moving the tip of your rod when a fish is on your flasher.

Most often when pulling the lure up you will have the fish hooked well.  Use the smaller sized in shallow water.

I usually setup a still line close by for fish that were lured in but might not be as active.

Good Luck! I know you will catch many different fish with it going forward.
Swedish Pimplin' Ain't Easy

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Swedish Pimples have always been my go to jig for perch.  It definitely won't be the last one you buy!

I second that. I use the #2 (1/10oz.) and start by matching the hatch to the baitfish they are biting on and go with the metals - gold, silver, and bronze (copper). Murky water I switch to white or orange.  As dingaling says you'll end up owning more than one! I tip with a minnow, waxie, perch eye, gulp...got see what the like...but the minnow is my starting point. I also play to the bite.  I'll pound the bottom, give a quick 12" jerk and then other times dead stick it or literally just drop it and fish on the bottom. Got play around!  Just my two cents...
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:29 AM »
Yesterday the only thing I could get the perch to hit was a Swedish pimple tipped with a small piece of cut bait.  I had to really talk them into hitting by banging the bottom a bunch and then bringing it up slightly.  Also caught a 3 pound rainbow on it and lost another one at the hole.  Fun day.

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:38 AM »
A minnow head on a gold swedish pimple has been my go to lure for years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.