Author Topic: PACK UP AND GO HOME OR TRY THIS?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
PACK UP AND GO HOME OR TRY THIS?
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 07:53 AM »
 I have found one thing out over the yrs,there is always going to be some fish biting in every body of water but this is for the guys getting skunked and going home to try.Just 2 yrs ago I was on a lake and watched guys leave and move frequently. After everyone was gone I decided I was going to try super shallow,I moved in more and more until my auger was stirring up the bottom,I then drilled 6-8 holes parallel to the shore with no more then 18" of water under the ice.I dropped a jig and minnow down and boom,a 6 lb walleye,in 10 minutes I had 6 fish iced! I set up a jig on a bucket/rod and jigged the other holes,I had 6-7 double headers and almost lost my rod a few times.It seemed like every time I looked over my rod/pail set up was going off.At the end of the day i iced 40 plus walleye and a few jacks.It was about 11am  ,march  and the fresh water shrimp were thick,I actually expected a few ling since they spawn during this time and many predators come in to eat them.

I TYPICALLY DRILL 8-10 HOLES NOW 16'-1' AND JIG THEM UNTIL I FIND THE HOT SPOT,IN THE SPRING I CHOSE POINTS THAT ARE SOUTH FACING .I've literally moved from 10'  to 1' and it was unreal.We dropped a camera down once and watched schools of perch ambush minnows in super shallow water.I caught a 24 and a 14lb jack 5 min apart in 1' of water so its not just walleye who come in crazy shallow.Keep in mind that the fish can see you much easier in the shallow so keep away from the hole opening and move slow.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: PACK UP AND GO HOME OR TRY THIS?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I do love a good fish story that is for sure. The only thing I cannot figure is how you can stir up the bottom of the lake with the auger going and not instantly dull the blades so as to render them useless  till they are either sharpened or replaced.  I have had my blades and seen others dulled on one hole just from the dirt that got into the ice.  End of the day for the auger unless again you can sharpen them on the ice or have a spare set.   Now that being said I now always carry a spare so giving the benefit of the doubt I will assume you also carry spares.   But besides the auger issue changing depth is a tried and true method of finding fish.  Good story. ;D

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:13 PM »
also, how in the heck did you get a 24lber started up the hole in 1 fow?!

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:39 PM »
also, how in the heck did you get a 24lber started up the hole in 1 fow?!
  It's quite easy don't ya know.

I actually have a plaque (sp)  that was given to me that hangs on my wall.  And I quote

"FISH STORIES SPOKEN HERE" ;)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Don't believe any of the bs this guy posts.  Next he will be asking how to catch pike and put a post "Why try at all" or something.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:58 PM »
 No where did i say to plunge your auger into the bottom. If you read the post I explained i moved in shallower hole by hole to guage the depth.I could care less if the AO trolls believe the story,as stated it is a technique for those that are new to fishing or haven't tried it, ya know like the other guys who left the lake skunked that day. Save your childish comments and carry on. Hope the original post helps a youngster when all else seems hopeless.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Lol it’s gonna help him smash his dads auger into the botttom of the lake and get a smack in the head for drilling so close to shore.

Offline musak4ears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Appreciate the info Harry. This is the second time in as many days that I have heard drill a number of holes perpendicular to shore to find the fish. I would normally be one of the first group you mention. Gotta put in the effort more often than not to find what your looking for.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:42 PM »
 The action can be fast and furious because you are literally jigging 6-12"s below the ice so when the bite is on the fish are on the ice quickly and then back down.I start jigging aggressively to see if thats what they want,if not I down size and slower,slower yet? lay it on the bottom.I think the shallow water technique is better late in the season because the shrimp are thick which brings in more small fish and so the predators come,this is also the spawning time of ling.Many whites can be caught as well. I seen a guy on Lac la Nonne 20+yrs ago with a huge pile of ling fishing in 2' or less (no limit then) we sat in his tent and watched ling after ling inhale smelts,if I had to guess he had 3 dozen ling and counting.

Don't just walk 10' from shore and drill a hole,use your head and start out far enough that you know your good. BLAH BLAH BLAH to guys saying I will hit the bottom etc. The agitation of the water stirs the bottom a bit and I don't think this hurts a thing,in fact many fish will come in to investigate.Anyone who has drilled more then one hole knows when you are about to go through the last bit of ice,use common sense.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Oh MY aren't we on the defense now ;D

First off the Burbot are not yet spawning,  that usually or should I say always happens in mid Feb to March, thus the reason some lakes do not allow Burbot after Jan 31.   Still would like to see how you were able to pull this 24lb pike which most likely would have to measure in the 45inch range and larger to fit through the ice in 1 FOW,  unless of course you were fishing from shore. ;)  Again I quote from my plaque

FISH STORIES SPOKEN HERE

As to AO  why don't you try putting this story up over there,  that should generate a few interesting posts dont' ya think?

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:20 PM »
 snap and gun , I liked him better when he was Pinehurst Piker ..
       But thank a god he s a northern Alberta kid ....
  Though I'd love to hear his southern reservoir theories ....
    My theory .....if you can't bullcrap about fishing what's left .
    What does distress me is when nube s come on here and get
      Lake advice from ......Coocoos

If you are wondering the attraction of FB .....heavy mods
      no nonsense .

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Sorry  you got's me confused for sure with someone from AO  while I frequent you are miles away from my handle over there.  LOL

Sorry again but I would be one of the hard core southern Alberta boys for sure.  Proud to say I have fished about every lake so. of Calgary and quite a few east to the Sask border.  But I do like the snap and gun maybe I should change my handle here for the 2nd time in the last few years.  BTW  still like the fish stories just can't wrap my head around 24lb. pike in 1 FOW

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Thanks Demaster, if some one new to fishing can't see through ALL CAPS typing and someone called HairyFishBalls then they are going to be conned by a lot more than a posting on a fishing forum  ;D

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Here we go again with the same trolls fromAo,if they can't attack someone over there they troll on.Just look at their comments over there.There is about 4 or 5 of them that think they run that show and the mods are there buddies.I left that stupid forum 5 -6 yrs ago because of these few guys.

Now to the doubters of the large pike in shallow,these fish are biting right below the hole and a hook set pretty well puts the head right in the hole,they are alive and moving,not like pulling a four foot 2x4 up like you make it sound .
The comment about the ling not spawning during the time i mentioned is bogus,read your own post.I have caught 100's of these and we actually target them specifically on one particular lake and its all shallow water night fishing.We bag our limit in a hurry between 6 of us.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:33 AM »
AGAIN

FISH STORIES SPOKEN HERE...

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:58 AM »
AGAIN

FISH STORIES SPOKEN HERE...

hmm, and we wonder why there is very little posting in the AB thread?   

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:36 AM »
hmm, and we wonder why there is very little posting in the AB thread?   

Naw, ignore him.  It is just a troll or joke account anyways.

This place is what we make it, and, we can make it just fine  ;D

Catching up on ice fishing videos today while avoiding the below -30 wind chills this weekend.   2nd best to being out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.