The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: cowbanks?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline new guy

• IceShanty Rookie
cowbanks?
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:42 PM »
 ???i been hearing alot about salmon at cowbanks.......i really want to fish for salmon, but dont want to sound like a tard.where is cowbanks? is it the stretch between sandbar to apple island marina?can someone clear the air on this for me?

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cowbanks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Its opposite the sandbar on the causeway, so its the west shore of south hero. Great place for salmon, popular for perch too. Watch it though the channel under the bridge was still open as of a couple days ago.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline flaguptrouton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:45 AM »
You can fish out in front of Apple Island Marina good for salmon there as well.  Not sure how much ice is there, but what is is solid froze after big snow dump

Offline new guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:31 AM »
thanks for the info guys.im still waiting for thicker ice to form before i head out.hopefully all next week i'll be there.i've got 8 weeks to burn before i go back to work ;D. and fishing is all i got to keep my ass busy!

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Just got back. I did a 7 gallon bucket from 10:45 to sun set. 2" off the bottom and it didn't matter what you had on your line. Lost a small salmon just under the ice. Most fish were coughing up baby snails and alwives.....There is no sign of a die off so far. White perch in the deeper water 45-50 feet.

5"-6" of black ice BRING CREEPERS!

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:11 PM »
  Big ben were u getting smelt?

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:14 PM »
Zero smelt...White perch have replaced them it seems?

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:43 PM »
thats really horrible new guy, nothing but fishing for 8 weeks.  we are now expecting daily updates and you need to do some traveling around the north champlain area and find the hot spots for us working class slobs  ;D

Offline new guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:50 PM »
thats really horrible new guy, nothing but fishing for 8 weeks.  we are now expecting daily updates and you need to do some traveling around the north champlain area and find the hot spots for us working class slobs  ;D
yea life is rough! only problem is champlain is 2 hours away and grabbing a rifle and calling in coyotes or chucking molotov cocktails into porcupine trees is right outside my door.needless to say, i've done NO fishing and have shot 8 porcupines. i'll get into my yearly fishing addiction soon, then i'll throw info to ya'll.thanks to everyone for talking to me about fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.