New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413364 times)

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2940 on: Jan 01, 2021, 08:06 AM »
I cant see any shoreline... guessing they moved angle of camera

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2941 on: Jan 01, 2021, 09:55 AM »
I cant see any shoreline... guessing they moved angle of camera
If you really look hard on the left hand side you can see a sliver of open water. I’ll probably be down there to close out the duck season Sunday. If I have time I’ll try to scale whatever the camera is mounted to and reposition it so we can get better use out of it. 

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #2942 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Solid move Frankie!
And thanks for the link.. never was able to find a webcam on the N. Basin

Offline The icy pickle

• IceShanty Rookie
Chautauqua lake ice
« Reply #2943 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:47 AM »
I haven’t been on in a long time . I’m learning how to use this site all over again . That said I would like to know if anybody knows about ice conditions for Chautauqua lake , silver lake and Cuba lake ?

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2944 on: Jan 03, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Do many people target crappies through the ice on CHQ? I have fished the lake for the past 2 winters and have done well on the walleye and perch, but have not caught any crappies. I know there is a healthy population in the lake from catching them while bass fishing in the spring. Do the crappies stay in the grass throughout the winter? Not looking for specific spots, just general tips on seasonal movements of the crappies in the lake. Thanks for any help!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Chautauqua lake ice
« Reply #2945 on: Jan 03, 2021, 04:55 PM »
 The icy pickle welcome back to Ice Shanty. Once you have logged-in click on the word Forum found under the Ice shanty logo and Hello greeting in the upper left corner of pages. This will open a listing of all the forums/boards here on Ice Shanty. New York has both a General Ice Fishing and Reports and Conditions forums . I believe in the Reports and Conditions forum you will find topics/threads for the bodies of water you are seeking information on hopefully there will be some recent posts on ice conditions.  Sorry I can not give you reports since I'm located in south Eastern section of New York.
 Steve

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2946 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:53 PM »
Do many people target crappies through the ice on CHQ? I have fished the lake for the past 2 winters and have done well on the walleye and perch, but have not caught any crappies. I know there is a healthy population in the lake from catching them while bass fishing in the spring. Do the crappies stay in the grass throughout the winter? Not looking for specific spots, just general tips on seasonal movements of the crappies in the lake. Thanks for any help!
We catch some in deep water when ice fishing mid lake and in shallower water at the Mayville end.  You got to search for them.  Once you get over them you can catch a few.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2947 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:58 PM »
I haven’t been on in a long time . I’m learning how to use this site all over again . That said I would like to know if anybody knows about ice conditions for Chautauqua lake , silver lake and Cuba lake ?
Icy pickle, there is a Chautauqua lake BS thread on this Ice Fishing New York page. You can ask questions and BS on that thread.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #2948 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:13 AM »

Absolutely! The lake is loaded with large, and an abundance of crappie. Long point, Pendergast, Maples Springs, Mission Meadows, Vikings Club are all good starting points. Mostly for walleye. I would target Pendergast point at dusk and fish into the night for them. 10-12 FOW. With that being said, enjoy the 200 other guys who will follow you out there now at dusk when there’s safe ice.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2949 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:15 AM »
It’s Jan 4th and the temps haven’t gone below 32 degrees for weeks now, and you’re  going to ask about ice condtiions?
I’m going to go out on a whim and say there probably isn’t any ice currently.

2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2950 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:07 AM »
Is the snowmobile club parking lot private? Looking for somewhere to park when there is safe ice. thanks!
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #2951 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:21 AM »

Growing up I had more success with a shallow weed bite in places like Burtis, to where now IMO it has transitioned more into a basin bite. Gridding out the area, avoiding the pack mentality and only fishing holes with suspended marks is always my game plan. You’re gonna work for them or catch way less with the pack.

Offline Rippinlips89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2952 on: Jan 05, 2021, 01:12 PM »
It’s Jan 4th and the temps haven’t gone below 32 degrees for weeks now, and you’re  going to ask about ice condtiions?
I’m going to go out on a whim and say there probably isn’t any ice currently.
Guys were out on Burtis last weekend,  ice is broken up NOW  not sure why asking what ice conditions are on an ice fishing forum is a stupid question

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2953 on: Jan 05, 2021, 02:35 PM »
Is the snowmobile club parking lot private? Looking for somewhere to park when there is safe ice. thanks!

Long Point and Pendergast are two NY State owned properties plowed and open to the public.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2954 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Guys were out on Burtis last weekend,  ice is broken up NOW  not sure why asking what ice conditions are on an ice fishing forum is a stupid question

Hats off to them! I live on the lake and have fished it for 50 years. No one was on Burtis last weekend. I can guarantee you that.  Asking about ice conditions of lakes which havent gotten above 35 degrees is obviously a stupid question to ask. That’s why.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2955 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:23 AM »

That’s a good question. Call Hogan’s Hut.

Offline buckduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2956 on: Jan 06, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Last week, I believe Dec. 31 or Jan. 1, I checked the eastlakewoodweather.co m camera that shows Burris Bay and saw 2 people with a pull sled out on the ice. Checked a little later and they moved and appeared to be drilling a hole. A little latter they were gone.
Yes it took me totally by surprise and I was amazed that no one else posted about this event.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2957 on: Jan 06, 2021, 01:01 PM »
Ever catch eyes in burtis? Looks like that will be the first place with safe ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Eloosive1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2958 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:03 PM »
Yes, walleyes can be caught in Burris.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2959 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:40 PM »
Ever catch eyes in burtis? Looks like that will be the first place with safe ice
Mostly waters North of the narrows in the upper lake is good walleye fishing.  See Hijinks post from Jan 5th above for a few locations.  He knows the lake.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2960 on: Jan 09, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Mostly waters North of the narrows in the upper lake is good walleye fishing.  See Hijinks post from Jan 5th above for a few locations.  He knows the lake.

Correct - Those are the fun public spots which non-locals fish.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2961 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:03 PM »
Seen about 15 people out on burtis on my way through this morning. I didn’t have time to stop and talk to anyone and didn’t have my spud or gear to check it for myself.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2962 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:45 AM »
How’s the ice on Burtis?
What about Mayville?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2963 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:46 AM »
Go Check..  Well that’s what you said.......     ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2964 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:28 AM »
Go Check..  Well that’s what you said.......     ::)

That’s true, but why leave the comfort of my own home 3 miles away when I can rely on everyone else to do it for me. Merica’

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #2965 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:01 PM »
The true locals are from the south end imo  ::)
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline RustyTrombone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2966 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:32 AM »
I‘m with you on that one. The north end locals are poor.
Proud member of Newfane FD. Glorified ice fisherman. LOL

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #2967 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:48 AM »
On a serious note does Anyone have conditions report?
I'm hopeful everything is tight and snow stays away and we can get on the hard water after next weeks cold snap

Offline deerkillr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2968 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Is it just me or anyone else every year I have a hard time finding the reports and conditions page for Chautauqua… Can someone post a link?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.