Author Topic: Big Fish Prizes for Ice Fishing Contest  (Read 1107 times)

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Big Fish Prizes for Ice Fishing Contest
« on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I'm the coach of our High School Fishing Team and we are hosting a community ice fishing contest in February to raise money for our team. Wondering what you guys would find acceptable for big fish prizes (pike, walleye, panfish, bass)? Should we do prizes for 2nd and 3rd place fish too? We can't do cash prizes per school policy so that is out. We are also doing a kids contest also so would need prizes for that too. Entry fee is $20 for adults $10 for kids and includes a lunch. Last year we did a new power auger for biggest pike and an hour after the contest it was listed for sale on Facebook.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Big Fish Prizes for Ice Fishing Contest
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Unfortunately, I think you'll find that's always going to be a possibility. 

Most guys who fish tournaments likely already have the gear that they need.  So for some they might just need the cash more than the prize.  For some it may not be much of an upgrade compared to their current equipment.  I think if you're handing out physical prizes...that's just a possibility that you'll have to accept.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Is "cash" the same as gift cards?

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:33 PM »
If you have local businesses that are "sponsoring" the derby with prizes, maybe go the gift card / gift certificate route instead (if allowed).
Also specify that they will be "NON-TRANSFERABLE" so no resale online.

Having 1st, 2nd and 3rd place options will allow for a lower prize value and more winners overall.

Depending on how many species you want to include, the prizes should be lower still.

Here in MA, many of the derbies I've fished had 3 or 4 categories based on fish found in the waters.
Bass, trout, pickerel and "other", or some only do bass, pickerel and "other". the "other" category can include white perch, yellow perch, catfish and sometime trout (if present in that pond/lake).

Most derbies will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in bass and pickerel, but may only have 1st (and maybe 2nd) place for "other".

The prize structure will be determined by the number of anglers, the prices for entry. You will have to determine what prizes will be beforehand, so having sponsors will help immensely.

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:49 PM »
I think having second place, third etc will depend on how many prizes you have before the tournament starts.
No point in listing a second or third place winner if there is no prize to give out for that.
And no point short changing your fundraising efforts if funds are tight.
I would suggest contacting businesses for donations even the big non local ones that sell ice fishing gear.
You might be surprised at what donations you get leaving more funds for your team.
I wouldn't fault someone for selling a prize that was something they already owned.
You can't possibly know what gear the various entrants might own/want/need.
This year's big winner might be that hand auger guy who's been wanting that power auger.
Also fun for tournaments to give out prizes anybody can win. Say smallest fish or ugliest fish or.......??
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. We already are contacting local businesses about donations and we did well with that last year but we try to do bigger prizes that the team buys since most local places donate things like rods or tip ups.  I'll have to see if we can do gift cards instead of cash, our auditors are pretty strict about what we can do which makes things very frustrating.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:02 PM »
You could see if instead of businesses donating gear they could do a gift certificate for the original winner only (or if you guys have to buy the certificate first to compensate them). A gift certificate isn’t money. It’s just a promise to provide products within a specific price range. The paper itself is worthless unlike a gift card which has currency loaded to it. Make the winner sign it and show ID at time of purchase. Kind of like a non-transferable warranty.

It’s hard to say what to do without knowing what constitutes as “cash”. I can imagine it’s frustrating as hell putting in effort for prizes just to have them sold an hour later. Like others have said though you can’t necessarily stop it but if you can make it so they would have some restrictions, it may help deter it. Especially if they can pick out what they want from the sponsor business instead of being locked in to a specific prize.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:35 PM »
I was a tournament director for several years in a bass club and worked hard on getting prizes for other places.  It is nice to have extra places to give out during your tournament.  It gives other people the opportunity to win something.  It needs to be determined how many teams you have fishing to determine placement.  It seems about one additional place for every 6 or 7 teams.  (3places for 20 teams)  To give out an auger for first place is a great prize.  Like someone said earlier, a lot of fishermen have augers, but some don't and this new auger could be a nice upgrade.  I would not worry about someone selling or trading the prizes.  It is just nice for someone to get something for  a good day of fishing.  I would believe many people and organizations would be willing to donate prizes or gift certificates for prizes, esp when it is for students.  I would recommend doing this as early as possible d/t some companies need to get approval from corporate.  Hope this helps.  Good luck in your tournament.  Nez

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2019, 05:09 AM »
I was a tournament director for several years in a bass club and worked hard on getting prizes for other places.  It is nice to have extra places to give out during your tournament.  It gives other people the opportunity to win something.  It needs to be determined how many teams you have fishing to determine placement.  It seems about one additional place for every 6 or 7 teams.  (3places for 20 teams)  To give out an auger for first place is a great prize.  Like someone said earlier, a lot of fishermen have augers, but some don't and this new auger could be a nice upgrade.  I would not worry about someone selling or trading the prizes.  It is just nice for someone to get something for  a good day of fishing.  I would believe many people and organizations would be willing to donate prizes or gift certificates for prizes, esp when it is for students.  I would recommend doing this as early as possible d/t some companies need to get approval from corporate.  Hope this helps.  Good luck in your tournament.  Nez
I like the way you put this very smart let’s say.
A way I think to try is my age get practical things most people would want and then 1st gets to pick out of the lot first and so on. Then you know if you have something the could use then they can pick it and it’s perfect for size matters. My 2 scents
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Allowing the winners to choose from different prizes in the order they place is a good idea in theory to allow someone to pick something they might actually use. But if I won 1st place and got to choose between a $400 auger, a $200 shanty or a $100 gift card, even if I needed a shanty or wanted something at the store with the gift card, I would pick the auger and sell it then buy exactly what I wanted.

I'm pretty particular when I buy something. Let's say I'm in the market for a shanty, I'll compare all the models in my price range, look at reviews and make my choice. If I won a shanty that was not exactly the model I was looking for, I would sell it and buy the one I want.

Non-cash prizes are nice, but may be better suited for smaller items like rod/reel combos or tip-ups. Gift certificates to area business ensure the money stays local and the winner gets something they want.

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Why would you care if the winner used,sold, or threw it in the garbage? You gave it to them it makes no sense that it would matter to you at all what they do with it. Just my 2cents.
I hate not fishing

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Why would you care if the winner used,sold, or threw it in the garbage? You gave it to them it makes no sense that it would matter to you at all what they do with it. Just my 2cents.
I hate not fishing

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:50 AM »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:04 PM »

Because he’s hosting the tournament............ ........ Why enter at all if all you’re going to do is sell the prizes? Getting a job seems more fruitful if all you want is money. 
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.