Author Topic: Ciscoes  (Read 3000 times)

captinjohn

Ciscoes
« on: Dec 28, 2003, 12:42 PM »
Where can  a person catch Ciscoes through the ice in Northern Mich???  And any good methods.  Thanks  capt,n ::)

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Siscoes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:18 PM »
what are Siscoes i have never heard of them before.
walk the hard water side.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:59 PM »
It is spelled Ciscoes
They are in the whitefish family.
They remind me of smelt.
We used to catch them and use them for bait for lakers.
I guess that people eat them, I never did ::)
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

captinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:25 PM »
Sorry about the miss-spelling.  I have heard it said they are the same as a blue Herring.    They get up to 23 inches.  Really good smoked.   Thanks  Capt,n :o

NAD42

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2003, 07:28 PM »
Ciscoes...best bet for smoking them big lakers!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:41 AM »
use ciscoes for lake trout. catch mine at the bait shop ;D ;D ($1.00 each cdn) but their worth it. never asked how they catch them. maybe someone who does will post :'( :'(

DipLip

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:32 AM »
Unlike whitefish, they're a fish that suspends year 'round. We catch them mainly through the ice, but also around the thermocline off downriggers etc. Very pugnacious and aggressive! They'll hammer laker-sized jigs etc. Fish the water top to bottom.

Your panfish gear is ideal. I use 18-28" rods and 4# Firleine with a wide variety of jigging spoons/leadhead + bait combinations. Awesome sport to catch and fight, great deep fried or smoked. Deadly frozen as big pike bait on a Windlass. Biggest they get up here is 18-20 inches. Soft membrane around mouth similar to a crappies...play 'em light. One of the most brilliantly coloured species that swims...like a steelhead and tarpon cross. Big scales (hands plastered with them after handling) beautiful irrescent purples, chromes and blues.

captinjohn

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:16 PM »
I sure loved catching these fish.  In the 50,s to 60,s My Dad had it down to a sience.   We used real small gold hooks, 3# test line, one tiny split shot and a long extending cane pole or rod. Bought the smallest minnows you coud find,  We fished only 3 feet deep! ...using a tiny bobber. They were surface feeders.  Came in by the piers in Lake Mich in schools.  We would catch one after another for up to 20 min.  Then wait for next school.  We always tried to catch 100 between the four of us.  We had a big cooler to ice them down. They are delicious smoked.  Grandhaven ...north to Pentwater, was good.   Got to find a place to catch them again.  Any good hints let me know where.  They are not where we fished them years ago.  Thanks  Capt,n

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
Re:Ciscoes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2004, 07:39 PM »
Keweenaw bay through the ice.  Fish in a darkened tent and you can see schools go by.  Swedish pimples with waxworms work well.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:21 PM »
use ciscoes for lake trout. catch mine at the bait shop ;D ;D ($1.00 each cdn) but their worth it. never asked how they catch them. maybe someone who does will post :'( :'(
Can you tell me the name of the bait shop that sells them and where there located may be a phone #

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:39 PM »
Also called tulibee. In fact I think that is their proper name.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2004, 01:55 AM »
Tip-up,  What's in a name??  They're proper name is siscoe, tulibee is just another slang name... This is according to U of Toronto and U of Minnesota, (had to cover both sides of the border eh!)  They probably have names we havent heard of yet!  ;D  

Cisco, a.k.a. lake herring and inland tullibee: cisco comes from a French name used for this fish and similar looking species from the Greak Lakes

Coregonus (co-regg´-on-us) means angle eye in Greek
artedi (are-ted´-ee) named after the Swedish naturalist, Peter Artedi

TEAM ALASKA

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:21 AM »
They are fished by commercial fishermen up here for mink feed.  We have always referred to them as tulibee.  They have a poor quality flesh, soft & mushy, and usually wormy, thus their use for feed.  We get them from the commercial operators for use as tipup bait in winter when fishing for large pike.  Some of the best bait that you will find!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.