Author Topic: Tie jigs direct or quick clips?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tie jigs direct or quick clips?
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:30 PM »
I use quick clips on my bigger stuff, but for small jigs I like to tie direct, I know allot od guys use the fly fishing size quick clips on they're pan fishing ice jigs with good success, What say the ice shanty community?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Tie jigs direct or quick clips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:53 PM »
they are too big to fit the tiny eyes. and just some thing more to spook them.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Definitely tie my jigs directly on the line. It keeps a new knot and fresh line at the terminal end. Knots take a pounding and are often the point of line breakage. Over tightening will make a knot fail every time. Every fish you catch is working on tightening the knot during the fight. Many other factors lead to line failure and makes us pay attention to our tackle.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:59 PM »

X2.  I tried them for my panfish setups and hated them exactly because of that.  The quick clips were too big for most of my jigs.  That and it was a pain to try to get jigs off and on quickly because there is no leverage with the small clips.

They work ok for vertical jigs but not for horizontal jigs.  The presentation isn't correct as the horizontal jigs tend to hang loosely at an angle.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:01 PM »
I tie them directly to the line, less stuff on the end of the line the less it spooks the fish.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Tried the tiny fly fishing ones last year. Way more trouble than I was willing to go through. One thing tying them on to your jig, look to make sure the line is set right on the jig eye if it is not on the eye right it will make your jig hang wrong.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Was wondering the same thing. Found several sizes of them in my tackle box while going thru my ice fishing stuff. Think I'll just leave em there or give them to someone else
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Killbasa240

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Tie directly. More hardware means easier chance to spook and more hardware to fail

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I tie directly, because I think it's the best way to go for the same reasons others have mentioned.

But, I do wish there was an easier way, because with very light line, my middle-aged eyes and sausage fingers really struggle. It's easier with high visibility line, but then if I want a leader it's more tiny tying.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I usually use the quick clips. I can change on the fly that way. I haven't noticed a difference if they are used correctly. My father-in-law never uses them, and sometimes I still out fish him with them on. I find that if the fish are on, it doesn't matter what you have tied on. If they are in a finicky mood, sometimes if you use them incorrectly it can provide a different presentation that might work. Lately I have been accruing more rods, so I can just grab a new rod vs clipping on a new lure.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:05 AM »
ha ha. tried the small ones. thought they would be the answer,, they weren't ,,, couldn't use them,,way too small for my eyes...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I tie them directly to the line, less stuff on the end of the line the less it spooks the fish.

X2

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Tried quick clips once cause I thought they would work great.  Once is the key word.  Tye direct is my 2cents worth.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Used to use snaps, but the jigs would get all cockeyed on them which put off the fish.
Now I tie direct to the line.

As mentioned earlier, it is important that the line sit properly on the jig eye, so the jig is presented most effectively.
I will usually have to reposition the jig after every fish, but that's a small price to pay for consistent action!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:33 PM »
I tie directly with an improved clinch knot. I retie (when conditions allow) after 20 or so fish and I do this because sometimes when the bite slows you can slide the knot up towards the jig for a more vertical approach. And of course sometimes this requires a little bit of tightening from time to time and doing this decreases knot strength. With the quick clips your kind of fishing with a pulley lol. Allowing your jig to (see-saw) back and forth inhibiting cadence.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:55 PM »
I also tie my small jigs direct with a Trilene knot.  I bought one of those small plastic blocks from Thorne Bros. that helps with tying the small jigs and it works pretty good.  The only thing I use a swivel for is my bigger perch jigs, (Hali, etc.)

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:11 PM »
they go in the garbage when ever i buy a jig that has one on it.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:52 PM »
I was thinking of giving them a try,I remember trying to tie a jig on last season and froze my fingers  :)

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:35 PM »
What knot do you use for direct tying?  A loop or cinch knot?
Thanks
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:36 PM »
What knot do you use for direct tying?  A loop or cinch knot?
Thanks

I use a loop all the time. Better jig action and never have an over tightened knot to break.

Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:47 PM »
I use quick clips on my bigger baits. Jigging raps/spoons. I tie direct when fishing for panfish with small jigs or for big fish with swimbaits
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:48 PM »
I use a loop all the time. Better jig action and never have an over tightened knot to break.

Lobes

'precaite it.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Pre-tie all my droppers before I go out and the quick change gets you back in the action real fast
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I use quick clips on my bigger baits. Jigging raps/spoons. I tie direct when fishing for panfish with small jigs or for big fish with swimbaits
2X THAT,plus i will try and use all ways that work for that water and that fish
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I use quick clips on my bigger stuff, but for small jigs I like to tie direct, I know allot od guys use the fly fishing size quick clips on they're pan fishing ice jigs with good success, What say the ice shanty community?

Just got back from LOW. I always use the little clips so I can change lures easily. Out fished my buddy right beside me with the biggest fish and the most fish who always ties directly on.

Offline Bass Thumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Tie direct to panfish jigs. You want to arrange your knot so the jig hangs horizontally, and you can't do that with a snap or a loop knot.

Snaps are best used for any size spoon or ripping bait.

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Tie direct to panfish jigs. You want to arrange your knot so the jig hangs horizontally, and you can't do that with a snap or a loop knot.

Snaps are best used for any size spoon or ripping bait.
Right on Bass, I've been waiting for someone to point that out.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:17 AM »
I tie direct, I carry seven poles all pretied with my favorite jigs, if one jig is not working I just switch poles.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:20 AM »
tried the quick clips few times but not worth the effort...trying to snap the clip on line...using 2 and 4# test many times breaking the line....the snaps for the small jigs are so small themselves thet you can't really use your fingers to hold and snap the clips so you try to pull them on with the line....then "snap" the line breaks....not worth it on small jigs. as others have said, if you want to use horizontal jigs you want to position the knot so it will hang horizontal....my 2cents.
icejohn

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I tie direct, I carry seven poles all pretied with my favorite jigs, if one jig is not working I just switch poles.

BINGO! One with a vertical plastic - One with a Kastmaster (or other spoon/metal) - One with something tiny for when the hit is slow
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.