The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: White perch  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
White perch
« on: Feb 13, 2023, 02:36 PM »
Hah, made you look.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: White perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Serious question. Do the white perch go in St. Albans Bay to spawn then leave?

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2023, 05:17 AM »
Serious question. Do the white perch go in St. Albans Bay to spawn then leave?

They "roam" the inland sea, come into St Albans Bay, go up the Missisquoi & Lamoille behind the eyes when they spawn and eat their eggs. They also chase the yellows when they spawn and eat their eggs too.
The eyes used to go up the creek beyond black bridge, not sure if they still do or not, been over a decade since I caught an eye near there, but the whites follow the eyes, seems like everywhere.
Not sure when the whites actually spawn or where, but when I catch them late ice up in St. Albans bay, they're usually loaded with eggs too.

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2023, 07:01 AM »
They "roam" the inland sea, come into St Albans Bay, go up the Missisquoi & Lamoille behind the eyes when they spawn and eat their eggs. They also chase the yellows when they spawn and eat their eggs too.
The eyes used to go up the creek beyond black bridge, not sure if they still do or not, been over a decade since I caught an eye near there, but the whites follow the eyes, seems like everywhere.
Not sure when the whites actually spawn or where, but when I catch them late ice up in St. Albans bay, they're usually loaded with eggs too.

White perch are spring spawners too, up in the rivers.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2023, 11:16 AM »
Mid to late may they stack up in front of the rivers to spawn.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2023, 10:36 AM »
Starting to see pics of whites again. Would love to get on some before ice out. Curious is st a bay is the spot and if there’s any ice left there

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2023, 11:15 AM »
The ice in the St-Albans Bay around the green can is still there but it has never thickened to more than 4-6' and there are cracks everywhere.  The shoreline are also mostly broken up. Hopefully the next few days of cold weather will stiffen the ice so we can walk on it again.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2023, 04:30 PM »
The whites I saw pictures of came from Magog. Wasn’t until last yr that I knew there were whites in Magog. Haven’t fished there in over ten yrs. Def explained the decline in jumbo yellows in Magog. Hoping the ice blows out from killkare before mid march to get the bay in there after some whites. Whites through the ice at killkare in mid march I’m afraid are a thing of the past

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2023, 09:50 AM »
Had Hathaway Point all to myself Saturday, all day nonetheless...

Where is everyone?!

It's late February and no one up there searching for white perch.

Bluebird kinda day, below zero but dead calm-no wind morning, set traps out and jigged in my flip-over. I had 1 10.5" yellow and 1 10#+ pike all day.
Buddy heater working great too...
Called it early afternoon when wind & squall came in.

Try again soon.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2023, 01:34 PM »
Mudchuck,

Ice is good at the shore to fish Hathaway Point? I plan on fishing Friday morning before the storm, are you going back there?

I thought about going back to Carmi but can fish Killkare if the ice is good.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2023, 06:04 AM »
I’d be down for a white perch slam. Last time I got to fish white perch at kill kare was about 3 yrs ago. Slammed them the week of march 15 right in the cove for the ferry. Marked my location but the ice has been shot the last few yrs. The last yr I fished them I went 4 days and filled my med jet sled each day. Then spent days filleting them. All my friends and family got lots of filets that yr

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2023, 06:46 PM »
On my way home from work today I noticed there was a small group of 6 or so guys grouped up out near the green can. They were all pretty close to each other which is usually a good sign.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2023, 08:09 PM »
Ice must be pretty rotten and sketchy at best by now. Last time I fished it 3 yrs ago there’s was over a foot of ice but it became honey come over a week and was terrible walking and super sketchy. The sun was very hot that week and I got sun burned bad multiple days but left with crazy amount of whites, for the freezer. I went to go back the following week and edges were all broken. There were people fishing but I turned around and went home

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2023, 05:09 AM »
Ice must be pretty rotten and sketchy at best by now. Last time I fished it 3 yrs ago there’s was over a foot of ice but it became honey come over a week and was terrible walking and super sketchy. The sun was very hot that week and I got sun burned bad multiple days but left with crazy amount of whites, for the freezer. I went to go back the following week and edges were all broken. There were people fishing but I turned around and went home

Yesterday was a banner day out there, but as you mentioned, the ice is going to go anytime now.
White perch did arrive. Before the storm Saturday, the bite was red hot, Sunday they scattered, made for slogging thru 6" + slop on top.
Couldn't ask for a better day, shoreline was good, sun was out, no wind, down to sweatshirts, lots of community, kids, it was wonderful.
If that becomes my last day out, then it was the best.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2023, 11:32 AM »
Left there with a solid March sunburn on Sunday.
Chasing Ice

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2023, 11:52 AM »
How much ice yesterday at Hathaway Point? Thinking of going out tomorrow morning.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Left there with a solid March sunburn on Sunday.

Yup, I got sunburned too

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2023, 12:24 PM »
How much ice yesterday at Hathaway Point? Thinking of going out tomorrow morning.

We lost about an inch over the course of the day yesterday when the sun came out and 40F air.

6" when I left the ice...today won't make things any better.
The slop on top is pushing the ice down too. In the morning the water at the pressure crack was minor, by afternoon, there was 6-8" of water with the slush on top of that near the crack.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2023, 05:14 AM »
There’s a small hump sort of in the cove as you’re headed out from the access I had great luck in past yrs on. Have to be right on it. I don’t think I’ll venture to the can this yr. Think I’ll wait for ice out and try to catch them following the eyes up the river.

Offline RobLyube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2023, 06:01 AM »
How's the ice/ shoreline holding up around Hathaway and Kill Kare. Still accessible?

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2023, 06:54 AM »
How's the ice/ shoreline holding up around Hathaway and Kill Kare. Still accessible?
I'm also wondering about ice conditions. My son and I have never hit the white perch bite. Would love to help you guys rid the lake of these pests  ;D
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Let's put it this way...after the blue bird day Monday, I put my gear up for the season, won't venture back out at Hathaway now until next season.
That ice is honeycombed now, and the shoreline is sketchy after the warm spell 2 days on a row.
A lot of the snow melted into the slop on top, navigating old holes will be a challenge for those that are brave enough to venture out this week.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2023, 09:13 AM »
Thanks mudChuck. I guess we'll pass! Thank you for saving us a wasted trip. I think we'll probably stick to inland Waters for the rest of the season. On Waterbury res today. Probably a foot of ice below the slush. Decent walking.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline Beatsworking

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Even a bad day...
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2023, 05:31 PM »
Hey Bob G. Nice to meet a friendly face on the search! I hope you filled your sled with Whites after we left. I ended up catching one before we left for Popasquash. So, for the report I promised - terrible. We fished all around the Island and only caught a few small yellow perch. Some difference from last year I can tell you. I think I'm ready to officially call it the worst year I've experienced in my life. And I'm old! I might just follow Mudchucks wise advice and call it a season (unless you guy's start pounding them!). Thanks for sharing your knowledge about whites and making me and my buddy feel welcome..

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:19 PM »
Beatsworking,

Nice meeting you today. I only caught one small white perch today and dink yellow perch, left at noon. Looks like we missed the big white perch migration this year. Hopefully next year is better all of the way around.

Offline Beatsworking

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Even a bad day...
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:07 PM »
Let's look forward to next year!

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2023, 05:50 AM »
Beatsworking,

Nice meeting you today. I only caught one small white perch today and dink yellow perch, left at noon. Looks like we missed the big white perch migration this year. Hopefully next year is better all of the way around. You didn’t miss it. This coming week I bet they will be in heavy. It’s been week of st Patrick day for last 5 yrs I’ve been following. I didn’t go last yr due to lack of ice and prob won’t this yr for same reason. But willing to bet there will be a few crazy souls that will go this week. I’m hoping to find them in the river following the eyes after ice out

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Last year we really caught them on the 16th. I bet they aren’t far from there currently. I’m just not sure if the ice will hold.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2023, 09:13 AM »
Ice deteriorates very rapidly in the bay with so much wind and sun there. I’m sure they’re close. Normally you’ll get a few strays or even a few small school ahead of the main migration

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.