Author Topic: Tip up Noise Maker  (Read 10603 times)

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up Noise Maker
« on: Sep 05, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Found an inexpensive ($1.00) to add a 90 db alarm to my tip-ups. They are "Instant Alarms" 4 pack sold by Menards at $3.99 per pack in store or on line. They run on 3 LR44/AG13 batteries. There is self stick foam tape to attach the alarm part to the tip up. I remove the tape from the Magnet part, drill a small hole at each end and attach some 8# spider wire to the magnet and flag. May not work well in really cold weather - below 0 but than, holes freeze up quite quickly in those cold temps.

http://vid358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/darvbethke/Tip%20Up%20noise%20maker%2060emhb.mp4

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip up Noise Maker
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:03 AM »
Great idea Papadarv!

I've thought about using something very similar except on this system you can set the alarms to only make an alert at the base station in your shanty.. Can also be set to just chime once.. Although this is obviously more $$$, but still, even without the coupon it's only $30...

http://m.harborfreight.com/six-sensor-wireless-home-alarm-94799.html

I've been thinking seriously about it..

<°)))>{

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2016, 01:49 AM »
The nice thing about alarms is they make noise when you've got a flag.  The bad thing about alarms is they make noise when you've got a flag.  And with how loud those are they will know you've got a flag in the next county.  I used to run electrics but switched over to empty buckets to cut down on the amount of attention they draw.  Plus the analog system never runs out of batteries or freezes up.  Those Harbor Freights have my interest though, gonna read through the owners manual and see if I must have them. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2016, 02:11 AM »
The nice thing about alarms is they make noise when you've got a flag.  The bad thing about alarms is they make noise when you've got a flag.  And with how loud those are they will know you've got a flag in the next county.  I used to run electrics but switched over to empty buckets to cut down on the amount of attention they draw.  Plus the analog system never runs out of batteries or freezes up.  Those Harbor Freights have my interest though, gonna read through the owners manual and see if I must have them.

Great points^

Combine that logic with the harbor freight system and an upside down bucket, and rigged a certain way, only you would know when you have a "flag" and also which bucket it is.. The base unit has a place to label each alarm.. You could take a sharpie marker and put a number or color on each bucket that corresponds to the labels on the base unit.. Could even wrap a rag around the base unit so the door bell tone is quieter..

I already have been using this system on my home.. Works great. Theoretically it can be set up so you know they came inside, but they don't know they've set anything off until they see the red dot on their chest... ;)

<°)))>{

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2016, 03:26 AM »
It says the range is 328' to 500' which is just fine for me, I rarely have one more than maybe 40 or 50 yards away.  The 6 channels are nice too so if a buddy comes with you can set him up as well.  Looked up the batteries and they can be had cheap unlike the junk that came in my HT's. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2016, 06:30 AM »
It says the range is 328' to 500' which is just fine for me, I rarely have one more than maybe 40 or 50 yards away.  The 6 channels are nice too so if a buddy comes with you can set him up as well.  Looked up the batteries and they can be had cheap unlike the junk that came in my HT's.

Couple other positive things about the system, the button batteries on the actual sensors have lasted forever so far, over a year now, the one gets sounded a couple times a week at least..

They will be very easy to waterproof too.. There is a lot of wiggle room for the magnet placement.. Might have to experiment, but a different magnet type shape might work. The sensors could simply be in a Ziploc bag..

<°)))>{

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2016, 07:53 AM »
That's a great idea and will work very well.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Not to be an a&#. But what, you guys don't keep an eye on your tip ups? Last several years at one area I fish. Several of the guys have got the alarms on their tip ups. Everybody gets the pleasure of hearing them go off. Over and over again. Seems for all the racket. Hook ups a scarce. Says in our State ice fishing regulations. That all devices must be attended and kept under constant observation. Just saying.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Not to be an a&#. But what, you guys don't keep an eye on your tip ups? Last several years at one area I fish. Several of the guys have got the alarms on their tip ups. Everybody gets the pleasure of hearing them go off. Over and over again. Seems for all the racket. Hook ups a scarce. Says in our State ice fishing regulations. That all devices must be attended and kept under constant observation. Just saying.

It's about ALWAYS (every second) attending your traps, and not allowing others, or the fish to know when it's tripped..

<°)))>{

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2016, 11:02 AM »
But what, you guys don't keep an eye on your tip ups? Says in our State ice fishing regulations. That all devices must be attended and kept under constant observation. Just saying.

So you're saying you stare at your traps the whole time, and never take your eyes off them?  What if you have two set out and you have to walk past the first one to get to the second one?  Do you turn around and walk backwards?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2016, 05:22 AM »
Guys I guess you are not getting my point. I am sure all of us have turned away from our tip ups. Only to look back at them and see the flag up and spindle spinning away. How many times have all of us said I just looked at it and it was down? It is the noise that is at issue here. You seem to think its a okay to have piercing alarms out on the ice. Myself I like it quite. Maybe my radio playing softly as not to bother anyone. If you can hear it ten steps away then it is to loud and I will turn it down. Not so with those alarms. A good idea gone bad in my opinion.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2016, 06:32 AM »
Guys I guess you are not getting my point. I am sure all of us have turned away from our tip ups. Only to look back at them and see the flag up and spindle spinning away. How many times have all of us said I just looked at it and it was down? It is the noise that is at issue here. You seem to think its a okay to have piercing alarms out on the ice. Myself I like it quite. Maybe my radio playing softly as not to bother anyone. If you can hear it ten steps away then it is to loud and I will turn it down. Not so with those alarms. A good idea gone bad in my opinion.

If you read into this whole thread, you'll see we've addressed that issue and provided a great viable solution..

You can even take the base station with you in your pocket.. It's about the size of a pack of smokes or smaller..

<°)))>{

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Yeah, I kinda like that HF set up but I wonder how long the batteries are going to last out on the ice. I don't like the noise maker alarms for the reason ufcreel mentions but the HF alarm is pretty cool if the batteries can handle being on the ice all day and keep going.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:06 AM »
i have done the alarm thing to my ice rigger and arctic warrior. works great except every time I hear the chirping sound, i look up to see where the birds are! I am admittedly, hard of hearing and have trouble hearing the high tones.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:15 AM »
Yeah, I kinda like that HF set up but I wonder how long the batteries are going to last out on the ice. I don't like the noise maker alarms for the reason ufcreel mentions but the HF alarm is pretty cool if the batteries can handle being on the ice all day and keep going.

Good point^

Tell you what, I'll test it out and report back.. I figure throwing it in the deep freezer for a few/five hours would be a good test..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Good point^

Tell you what, I'll test it out and report back.. I figure throwing it in the deep freezer for a few/five hours would be a good test..

<°)))>{

Lol, I just remembered this...

I put the sensor in a zip lock bag and put it with the magnet in the freezer twelve days ago...

Just pulled it out of the freezer and tested it and it seemed to work just fine...

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I had this plan several years ago. Bought a few "luggage alarms" at Wally World for $1 each. Ran on 9v and had an easy pull string trigger.

Thing is, when I got 'em home and tested 'em all I could think of is "If some Jack Wagon sets anything like that off near me the 12 ga is comin' out"...... >:D

I never saw the project through. Just me, you will do as you wish.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I had this plan several years ago. Bought a few "luggage alarms" at Wally World for $1 each. Ran on 9v and had an easy pull string trigger.

Thing is, when I got 'em home and tested 'em all I could think of is "If some Jack Wagon sets anything like that off near me the 12 ga is comin' out"...... >:D

I never saw the project through. Just me, you will do as you wish.

If you take a chance to thoroughly read this thread.. The device I'm talking about gives a doorbell tone in your shanty, not at the tipup.. It will actually tell you instantly which tipup was triggered.. The base unit can be made even quieter by wrapping it in a towel or similar...

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 23, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Ahhhh, I did read, starting at the top. Thanks for your concern for my time and attention span.

My comment was a reference to the OP..... 90dB? Mine were all of that and certainly not to be confused with a "chime"  but a warbling screech. Lots of different units out there.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Ahhhh, I did read, starting at the top. Thanks for your concern for my time and attention span.

My comment was a reference to the OP..... 90dB? Mine were all of that and certainly not to be confused with a "chime"  but a warbling screech. Lots of different units out there.

Yeah the ones that sound like a car alarm I would think might even cause the bait to be dropped, as well as some choice words...

<°)))>{

Offline Orngwve28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I used to run electrics but switched over to empty buckets to cut down on the amount of attention they draw.

What is this bucket trick?  I've never heard of using an empty buckets as a way to notify a flag...

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:49 AM »
What is this bucket trick?  I've never heard of using an empty buckets as a way to notify a flag...

I think they are covering their tip ups with an upside down bucket and using the RF alarms without noise so only the main unit sounds an alarm...only the person with the main unit is aware of a flag that has been tripped.  It sounds like a good idea to conceal the flag, but it may prevent holes from freezing over too. 

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:18 PM »
What's the 12ga for? Putting down an unruly muskie?
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:16 PM »

Flip a bucket upside down and set it on the edge of your trap up against the flag spring.  When the flag goes off it bangs into the bucket and makes a pretty distinctive sound, plus it keeps the trap from jumping on glare ice and makes a handy marker for drunk snowmobilers. 

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Couple other positive things about the system, the button batteries on the actual sensors have lasted forever so far, over a year now, the one gets sounded a couple times a week at least..

They will be very easy to waterproof too.. There is a lot of wiggle room for the magnet placement.. Might have to experiment, but a different magnet type shape might work. The sensors could simply be in a Ziploc bag..

<°)))>{

I tried these alarms out on the ice last weekend, but unfortunately the signal didn't seem to broadcast very far.....like 100 feet max.  I kept the main receiver in my portable shanty which has insulated fabric, but I may need to play around with where it may work better.   Holding the receiver in the window seemed to help, but I would hope these alarms don't require that to work.       

I guess I was a little disappointed that I had 2 flags pop up without the alarm going off.  Are there any suggestions on how to use these alarms?       

Thx

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I tried these alarms out on the ice last weekend, but unfortunately the signal didn't seem to broadcast very far.....like 100 feet max.  I kept the main receiver in my portable shanty which has insulated fabric, but I may need to play around with where it may work better.   Holding the receiver in the window seemed to help, but I would hope these alarms don't require that to work.       

I guess I was a little disappointed that I had 2 flags pop up without the alarm going off.  Are there any suggestions on how to use these alarms?       

Thx

100 feet might be all its good for.. It's meant for a house alarm so it might not reach that far..

I usually try to set my tip ups closer than that, bunch of aholes on sleds try to run them over around here...

Not so much that holding it in the window helped, I'm betting you were holding it higher? It may help if you hang the receiver from the ceiling in your shanty?

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Do these have a 5 second delay ?   can you turn off the delay ?   100' range would be plenty for me, but they do advertise 500'

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I don't think you can change the delay, but I haven't noticed any either.  These alarms do charm for like 15 seconds though and then turn off.  I actually like that feature because I'm usually very close to the main receiver AND I don't need the keep hearing the alarm should I lose the shut off fob.....luckily you get 2 shut off fobs with these units just in case you lose one.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I don't think you can change the delay, but I haven't noticed any either.  These alarms do charm for like 15 seconds though and then turn off.  I actually like that feature because I'm usually very close to the main receiver AND I don't need the keep hearing the alarm should I lose the shut off fob.....luckily you get 2 shut off fobs with these units just in case you lose one.

TY,  :tipup: Yeah, 15 seconds would be plenty long..   

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I use these alarms, but I remove the noise making part and solder on a LED Christmas light, so when the flag is tripped it lights up instead of making noise. Great for fishing at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.