New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

First time

(1/3) > >>

Erb:
Made it out on winnisquam today. Lucky enough to have an uncle with a house on the water. First time ever fishing with suckers had a tip up with a sucker, and jigged with my fish finder. Set up two cusk lines with suckers over night. Will see how it goes. Didn’t catch a thing. 14ft of water. Couldn’t have been a nicer day. Wasn’t really sloppy in most spots occasional fall through snow to water and slop.
Advice always appreciated

bassin212:
Nice work! Way to get out there. I’ve heard it’s a slower lake in general, but holds nice fish but I’ve never personally fished it. For cusk, I’ve had best luck this time of year fishing close to deep water but shallow (anywhere from 25-15 fow) in rocky areas. The only rough thing about fishing with suckers for cusk is I’ve heard they’re pretty good at hiding and burying themselves. Good way to weed out the little ones I’m sure

Lv2hunt:
Buddy has a place there been fishing it for a few years now have only caught 2 dink cusk in 40 FOW on cusk lines. Alot of Lakers in there best luck I've had is fishing tip ups in 7 to 14 FOW using shiners about 6 inches off the bottom. In front of his place is pretty sandy but have yet to catch a Bow there good luck!

jigmaster5:

--- Quote from: Erb on Mar 12, 2023, 07:59 PM ---Advice always appreciated

--- End quote ---

Use search feature on here
webapp navionics com (it's not 100% accurate, but it may give you some ideas)
google maps -> satellite view (this is accurate, but only good for shallow water)
use google maps on your phone to mark way points before fishing, then go to those spots

i've fished it a few times open water.  there's large expanses of the lake w/ absolutely nothing in it - like an aquatic desert.  so, the trick is to find locations with fish.  there's not a ton of structure either.  so, think about spots where a fish might push bait against or push up on or funnel - that kind of stuff.

also, if there's no fish where you were fishing, try a different spot.

good luck!

Erb:
Thanks for the advice fellas. Checked my cusk traps this morning and caught my first cusk. Was small but exciting. Spent all day out on the ice, had one flag went too it and it was screaming line, grabbed it started to retrieve and came off, brought it in more, braid too barrel swivel too mono, snapped the mono off right there. Disappointing only flag running of the day. Happy to catch a new species. No luck trying to get something on the jig with my Garmin striker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version