Author Topic: Browns & Brookies  (Read 23356 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Browns & Brookies
« on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:30 PM »
I have had success icing bows right below the ice, in very shallow water(3-10 fow), with icicles & trout worms. Will this same type of technique work for ice fishing for Browns & Brookies ??? Should I be trying diffrent bait, dow, etc ???

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Browns & Brookies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:06 AM »
I have heard of guys using corn for browns and bows.  Last year I tried some of the Berkley gulp, with limited success.

The best luck that I have had is using minnows.   I use 2 treble hooks (#18 or #20) tied into a "quick strike" rig with 10 pound  fluorocarbon fishing line. (about 3 or 4 feet for my leader)

Sometimes a small red (or glow) bead on my quick strike rig helps, but mostly I fish it plain.

I don't really set the hook with this style of quick strike rig, I usually just start pulling hand over hand when I get a fish on.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:13 AM »
that is definitely the ticket.....especially for browns.....find a nice gravel bottom.....2-10 FOW and you'll be golden.......I would use a shiner over a worm though....but many folks swear by worms  :-\

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2006, 01:04 PM »
I personally haven't had success for brookies but have fished with guys who have. We were fishing 4 feet of water and the best bait was corn but worms worked to. A local also told us if we brought gravel along and poured it down the hole we'd have better luck.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:32 PM »
it should work for brookies couldnt help you with brown though

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I almost forgot about this post :P Man I am hoping for some North Country ADK ice here in the next few weeks 8) That said does anyone have any other tips for early ice techniques for browns & brookies ???

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Try those little "forage fish" jigs in glow in the dark green w/ maggots. Murders brookies!
Whats a ''Forage fish jig ??? Can you direct me to a picture or post one.  :)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:36 PM »
Let see Corn, worms, dump some gravel down the hole along with some forage fish ???????????????? I wouldn't use corn just because I have seen people use it on the canal and I laugh at them. Worms well what can I say everyone has caught fish with worms, but if you really think about it how many worms are there floating around under the ice ? (yeah I know they work) I know,,,,, trout are oportunistic feeders, and fish recently stocked will be about as oportunistic as they come. But in my experience, native, adult holdover (the big boys)  trout can  be selective oportunistic feeders, in other words they will at times sometimes exclusivlely feed on one particular baitfish, one particular size baitfish for that matter and will absoultely not consider anything else. They will sometimes react to jigs if only presented with a little twitch here and a pop there ect ect ect... I know I am babling but it realy depends on what kind of fish you are targeting, the trophy wall mounter or something for the dinner plate. Me personaly, I target the bigger fish and prefer to always try and perfect my presentation whether it be minnow size, line size, or hook size and obviously location is a key element but you can't stick to your guns and think your golden just because your in 2- 10 fow with a gravel bottom. Hell I have caught 20 inch brook trout in 5 feet of water the whole time jigin up weeds. I have also caught 25 inch browns 2 feet below the ice in 45 fow and vice versa. If you are not catching fish change your presentation, move deeper, shallower, somewhere in between maybe ?? Try and find some structure like a small creek trickling in the lake, but whatever you do don't sit there and let your can of corn get froze..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2006, 08:18 AM »
jflood,
The jigs I am talking about are northland mini forage minnows. Here is a link to the site:
http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=222
I have my best luck w/ the super glo perch size 8 tipped w/ 2 maggots. Hope this helps.

thanks jigmaster, i just went to the web site. tight lines this winter to ya 8)

PWR BAIT

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:07 AM »
i live in cny i have never fished for brooke trout through the ice. can any one direct me to a body of water here in cny. i dont want to steal anyones honey hole i catch and release trout i would like catch a brooke trout through the ice any help would be appreciated.thanksPB

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:23 AM »
I have not fished brookies in CNY before but here is the dec link to the 2006 stocking. That should get ya started ;) Good luck.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/stokintr.html

PWR BAIT

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:01 AM »
thanks iflood for info maybe ill  cross paths with you some time on some body of hard water thanks again.    PB

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:46 PM »
I use a white ice fly with a 3/8 long piece of shrimp on it to catch brookies around here,but have seen people use white ones with chartreuse floating powerbait with good results too

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:04 PM »
those are stinking awesome.  :thumbsup: WTG  :bow:

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:12 AM »
The colors on those trout are eye'popin cl733!

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2006, 04:52 AM »
I've always done well with brookies very close to shore 3 to 4 ft of water. I like to dead stick a rod with a pimple and live shinner combo or actively jig the same. Seems the action is in spurts as fish cruise the edge but it can be fast with several fish after your jig at once. Also like the forage minnow, buck shot and blue fox spoons for this type of fishing.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Ah WOW :flex:
Was it on an Ice Fly ???......

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Sick pictures and awesome catch...real nice  :tipup: :tipup:.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:27 AM »
An Ice fly you ask,thats what i call it any ways,but here i just tied this one up to show you,my polar bear hair is getting a little ragged and long and im not the best tier but this will give an idea of what im talking about   those were the only 2 fish ive caught this year because of a late freeze and were actually a bit smaller than the big average fish,and this picture was the same lake last yearand ya know just because you guys like the pictures ill show you a dandy i caught last year,its a trout and i did post it last year but for those who didnt see it here you go,my fishing buddy had a bigger fish than me all day and wouldnt quit yappin about it until i pulled this beauty out

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2006, 05:59 PM »

Nice Fish CL733, Great color on all and thats a sweet BOW.
Way to slay em'  :flex:
And yes you can post pics like that all day, I never get sick of looking at trout, or eatin them.

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Nice brookie's keep the pic's coming SWEEET. :o ;D
TEAM BC

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Never caught a brookie through the ice, but I can tell you that if you have a gravel bottom next to shore, that is a great place to set up for big browns.  They seem to cruise the shoreline looking for easy meals.  I always used a small minnow (3" or so) and caught a few browns in the 5-6LB range.  Works especially well if the middle of the lake has not frozen yet, that is if you dare to venture onto 2-4" of ice.  Good luck.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:05 AM »
2 inch's of ice, not so sure :-\ 4 inch's of ice, I am all over that ;)2

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:52 PM »
In maine if you want to catch big browns you have too find a shore line that drops off fast.  I usually fish two traps close to shore and the rest going out in deeper water.  up to 50 to 60 feet.  fish 8 to 15 feet below the ice.  Guaranteed bigger browns than closer to shore.  atleast thats what i have luck with

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:05 AM »

Mostly females culled out of my private trout pond.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Your not allowed to post anymore pictures until we have ice in upstate NY ;D ;D
Wow am I jealous. Very Very nice 8)  what did you use to catch em 8)

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Those are nice ones,the brookies in half the lakes are just about impossible for me to catch right now,i dont know if its because of a late freeze and the water temp dropped fast kicking them off or what is going on,numerous lake with lots of people using different baits and strategies and minimal fish.My favorite lake is still showing me numerous fish moving about,and more than average bigger fish swimming about but no fillets for me,im not going to give up on them until i dont see them swimming around any more,Im going for trout next week to help settle my nerves,so well see how that goes.Id love to get a limit of brookies like those so the woman would get off my back about no fish in the fridge.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Your not allowed to post anymore pictures until we have ice in upstate NY ;D ;D
Wow am I jealous. Very Very nice 8)  what did you use to catch em 8)

If you're talking about my pic it was February 9, of 05.  ;D

We've got the same lack of ice here.  :'( :'( :'(
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Those are nice ones,the brookies in half the lakes are just about impossible for me to catch right now,i dont know if its because of a late freeze and the water temp dropped fast kicking them off or what is going on,numerous lake with lots of people using different baits and strategies and minimal fish.My favorite lake is still showing me numerous fish moving about,and more than average bigger fish swimming about but no fillets for me,im not going to give up on them until i dont see them swimming around any more,Im going for trout next week to help settle my nerves,so well see how that goes.Id love to get a limit of brookies like those so the woman would get off my back about no fish in the fridge.

Could be they're still stressed out from their spawning mode and not interested in biting. I've also seen brookies still spawning this time of year in a Massachusetts lake on an area of upwelling.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2006, 06:22 PM »
If you're talking about my pic it was February 9, of 05.  ;D

We've got the same lack of ice here.  :'( :'( :'(
Was that some sort of jedi mind trick :unsure:
what did you use to catch em 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.