Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

It won't be long.

<< < (2/4) > >>

FishingFredrik:

--- Quote from: 9huskies on Nov 19, 2022, 04:28 PM ---There are 2 ponds near me that freeze exceptionally early every year. Both are next to the road and the parts I'll be fishing are only 3 feet deep. If I do break through I won't drown and I'll only be about 2 minutes from the truck. I bring the bare minimum for gear when I fish through thin ice, just a hand auger and a cheap jig pole so there's no risk of losing expensive toys.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a smart approach. I'm assuming you are using tip-ups at 3 feet, not jigging?

I went down to my local pond yesterday for what may have been the last shore fishing session of the year. To my surprise, the pond was covered with thin ice, which made lure casting impossible, obviously. So, I relocated to another small pond close by, and this one hadn't frozen over. I was beyond surprised to trigger topwater blowups from both bass and pickerel on a Heddon Super Spook. I had not expected to catch any bass, certainly not on the topwater, but got a really nice one as well. Be safe!

9huskies:
Both of those ponds are artificial laws only until the first of December so I'll be jigging. I've never caught anything with artificial lures on tip-ups.

DowneastPescador:

--- Quote from: 9huskies on Nov 20, 2022, 10:17 AM ---Both of those ponds are artificial laws only until the first of December so I'll be jigging. I've never caught anything with artificial lures on tip-ups.

--- End quote ---

Those little plastic eggs or worms have caught a few on tip ups for me.

Linedogg104:
I've had luck with power bait trout worms and power bait eggs

Jack978:
Saw the first ice chunks on Pushaw lake today.  It will be a while until ice forms, but this is the first day I have seen ice so it's coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version