Author Topic: Fewer rainbows being stocked  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fewer rainbows being stocked
« on: Apr 13, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Been checking out the NH F&G stocking report pages and noticed that many of the spots I like to fish early season (ex. Lamprey River) aren't getting any rainbow trout this year.  Then I noticed this:

A MESSAGE TO OUR ANGLERS - Unfortunately, NH anglers will once again experience a shortage in rainbow trout due to unforeseen circumstances with egg quality and shipping from a couple years ago. All of our rainbow trout eggs come from the federal hatchery system at no cost to us so we have little control over the quality of those eggs. In an effort to mitigate for this shortage, rainbow trout stocking numbers were adjusted statewide. Despite these adjustments, there are still some locations that will not receive their annual allotment of rainbow trout. These waterbodies will continue to receive their scheduled allotment of brook trout and/or brown trout. We are sorry for this inconvenience and hope to return to normal target numbers next year.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/trout-stocking.html

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fewer rainbows being stocked
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2022, 08:09 AM »
Hmmm... Great East was stocked years ago with rainbows. I haven't caught one there for at least 3 years... pretty sure there's more going on than we're being told. As a matter of fact the fishing has been poor there for quite a few years now...

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2022, 08:17 AM »
Hmmm... Great East was stocked years ago with rainbows.

Looks like it's supposed to get some this year....

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2022, 08:29 AM »
Looking at the fish number/ fish weight ratio (1/3 lb average) and my past experience over the last few years, I can say I am disappointed with NH trout quality. I used to catch a handful of really nice trout each season. Now, while I catch more, they are almost all dinks. Personally, I would rather boat fewer large fish but maybe F&G is getting the opposite request from license holders idk. Maybe this is a result of their egg issue but I feel like this trend predates that problem.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2022, 01:00 PM »
Looking at the fish number/ fish weight ratio (1/3 lb average) and my past experience over the last few years, I can say I am disappointed with NH trout quality. I used to catch a handful of really nice trout each season. Now, while I catch more, they are almost all dinks. Personally, I would rather boat fewer large fish but maybe F&G is getting the opposite request from license holders idk. Maybe this is a result of their egg issue but I feel like this trend predates that problem.

I happened to fish Clough Pond in Loudon on opening day.  Didn't expect much but in a couple hours of trolling, landed two sizeable rainbows, a nice brown, a nice brookie and a small brookie.  So five fish with only one being a dink.  I guess my point is that some select locations might get better quality fish than others?  I know I've often referred to Back Lake (Pittsburg) and Profile Lake (Franconia Notch) as being "political" ponds meaning that they always get a dumping of quality fish because they are very tourist-friendly spots and help bolster a reputation that NH has a quality fishery.  Obviously if true, this is geared to people from away who come here only to fish while on vacation.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2022, 08:42 PM »
Im glad to hear some positive news. I’ll cross my fingers for this season and lean into optimism. Its already been a good one fishing south of the border.

....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2022, 06:14 AM »
^^^^^^^
Nice fish.  Good to see that you found some.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.