Author Topic: Accessing Winni for Ice Jigging  (Read 900 times)

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Accessing Winni for Ice Jigging
« on: Mar 13, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Hello, I am planning on fishing Winni for the fist time tomorrow, Monday, coming from the south. I'll be on foot carrying a minimum of equipment for jigging only. Jumbo perch is high on my list of targets - I love this species - but I will naturally take advantage of Winni's White Perch, Lakers and Smallmouths as well, should the opportunity (and intel) present itself. I am hoping that someone would be willing to give me some broad pointers as to where to try my luck, and where to access the ice/park. And provided I don't get skunked, I will report back with photos and catch details. Thanks a ton in advance, and perhaps I'll see you out there!
/Fred
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Accessing Winni for Ice Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:09 PM »
Lots of places to access winni you just have to use google maps and look for access points. As for where to fish I don’t think many people will give up spots so my advice would be to use navionics and and find 25-30 feet of water on a basin  and start from there. If the fish arnt biting move around. This time of year I do good with an epoxy drop tipped with a wax worm. Lake trout especially have been slamming it

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:51 PM »
You would be better suited to try for an area that might hold multiple species.
Depending on how you will be transporting your gear, distance will be key as you will probably want to find a depth range suite for more than one species. Will you be using a flasher?
Do you have a region in mind, or are you looking to move around?

In any case I wish you luck.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I do my best planning for small lakes like Winni the night before also.. that way when it turns into a s**t show the next day I know what got me into that mess. Good luck
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:55 PM »
This will give you access points and a rough idea of where to start

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry/winnipesaukee_gilford.pdf
Tight Lines!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:14 PM »
Thank you all for your input - much appreciated. Really helpful. @fishermantim : I don't have a region in mind per se, but I'll be driving up from the south side. No, I won't be using a flasher - I haven't actually gotten myself one...old school, I know. I carry all my stuff in a Swedish "pimpelskrylla" that I've had since I was a teen growing up in Sweden. I'm 49 now so go figure ;) It's light and holds all my gear. I tend to move around a lot, drilling a lot of holes so I carry the least amount of stuff possible. Call it Scandinavian minimalism. I'll rely on my Navionics app for target areas. I'm studying the depth map as I type, hatching a plan.

In any event, I simply love the NH wilderness, and just getting out on Winni is going to be awesome. I don't have my expectations set hight in terms of numbers, but hopefully I'll find some fish.

If you think of anything else you think I should know, let me know. Thanks again - very helpful!!

/Fred
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.