Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

perch on tipups

<< < (2/3) > >>

Iceassin:
Are you targeting Pike on your tipups? If so, Cisco (Whitefish will work too) are killer...dead or alive. And don't be afraid to go big. A buddy caught a 40"er the other day using a 12" Cisco he'd caught. Should take care of your Perch "pecking" problem  too.

panfishman13:
yeah, to clarify, i am targeting perch. there's no pike in southern idaho, unfortunately.

hardwater diehard:
Light Aberdeen hooks ..I like red and a true turn style as well,paired with light mono line 4 lbs test .A much better bet is the same set up on a tip down

https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Turn-size-Aberdeen-Hooks/dp/B00144CEPK/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=mr%2Bcrappie%2Bhooks&qid=1645997971&sr=8-9&th=1&psc=1

https://www.facebook.com/SureStrike-Tipdowns-102779381784828/?ref=page_internal

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: panfishman13 on Feb 27, 2022, 03:18 PM ---yeah, to clarify, i am targeting perch. there's no pike in southern idaho, unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

Ahhh...gotcha. Now that I know, how about those automatic fisherman's? I started using them this season and they work real well on the Perch. I made the ones from "Haulin' Ash Outdoors" ( it's on YouTube) .Cheap and easy to make.

panfishman13:

--- Quote from: hardwater diehard on Feb 27, 2022, 03:49 PM ---Light Aberdeen hooks ..I like red and a true turn style as well,paired with light mono line 4 lbs test .A much better bet is the same set up on a tip down

--- End quote ---

i'll dig out some aberdeen hooks from my open water kit and give that a try. i've used tip downs plenty, i'm just currently trying to get more practice and experience with tipups specifically. much of the fishing around my area is done with rods in rod holders, automatic hookset devices, or tip downs, and almost no-one uses tipups so naturally i've become fascinated by them, hahahaha  ;D

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Feb 27, 2022, 04:50 PM ---Ahhh...gotcha. Now that I know, how about those automatic fisherman's? I started using them this season and they work real well on the Perch. I made the ones from "Haulin' Ash Outdoors" ( it's on YouTube) .Cheap and easy to make.

--- End quote ---

they're awesome! the guy that invented the jawjacker is from my corner of the state, so automatic hookset devices have become very popular around here, and for good reason: they're fantastic for catching all sorts of different species, and perch are no different. when my full group of fishing buddies gets out together, we usually have around 15 set up alongside tip-downs and dead rods. but, as i said above, i've become fascinated by tipups since no-one else around here uses them; and there's really nothing quite like that sprint to check on a popped flag.

so far i've used tipups successfully for targeting largemouth, trout, walleyes, and catfish, but perch have given me the bird. if i can figure this out, it'll be another tool in my arsenal that might give me an edge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version