Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

perch on tipups

<< < (3/3)

R.S.:
he didnt invent the jaw jacker.  he just copied someone else. it was invented in the early 70s and was called the steelie slammer.  homemade pvc slammers work just the same for cheap.  there are ones that use mouse traps to set hooks also.  search youtube and youll find plenty.

very good suggestion though iceassin!  i thought he was setting for pike and getting robbed, from original post.

badger132:
I have used tipups like this for perch for a dozen years now. I pulled a lot of perch out of Cascade on them when it was really going 7-10 years ago. You need to balance them so the slightest bite causes them to tip up, and then they get about 12 inches of slack before they run out of slack. I did find that you have a very small window to hook them- they don't hang on to the bait forever, and you sure catch a lot less of your bites than you do with a jig rod, or even a Jawjacker. I used them originally to find fish, since I had no electronics, so I set them in a line 15 paces apart. It kept us warm running, but we could not get there fast enough. These days, I set them close, never more than 15 steps from my seat. I also put them where I will see them, not behind me, so I get there quick. I see better results with some kind of jig or spoon than a bare hook, and use a piece of nightcrawler, or if I can get it, a perch minnow that a previous perch barfed up. A perch eye is also a good, tough bait.
I also go around and jig them every so often. I get many bites immediately after I move them.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version