Author Topic: Erie bound  (Read 2656 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Erie bound
« on: Feb 14, 2022, 09:28 AM »
Heading to Erie for a bucket list trip for four days. Thurs thru Sunday. Any suggestions on bait types and colors. I have a few ideals but it will be a new experience. Any advice to increase my chances will be appreciated.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Erie bound
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2022, 09:47 AM »
Be careful some wicked weather this coming week....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Good luck.  Maybe a rope and lift jacket might also be on your list.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2022, 01:38 PM »
13 to 15 inches of ice within the walking distance of fishing grounds. Ice does not move around as much close to the island according to the local experts/guides. You know when something happens or has happened. The guides get their shantys off. First and last places you can fish on Erie. We will have usual safety gear. Do you wear a life jacket when you go on ice? Don't see that too often but better safe than sorry for some. Todays report is there's a good bite. Hope it continues after Thursdays front.

Offline JJack065

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2022, 03:09 PM »
Around the islands you can be dealing with current.  Pretty strong at times.  Rapalas chrome blue, Chartruese, Clown, have been good for us.  You might want a couple size 9 raps just so you can view them on your fish finder if the current is ripping.  Swedish pimples have worked as well.  A couple in larger sizes also in case of current.  Good luck hope you have a great trip.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2022, 03:08 AM »
Blue chrome #7, #5 if current is less
red prism, yellow ice, blue ice in 5 ,6, or 7 pimple's
took fish a couple of weeks ago out by Rattle Snake.

Have fun

coop

Coopason

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2022, 05:20 AM »
I think they covered the most logical options… big pimples and  around a size 7 rap.  I hVe seen the 9’s catch fish so dont be afraid to use big sizes.  I also have a big rattle bait i use sometimes.  I have never caught a fish on it, but i like to rattle it around down there for a little bit then set it down and fish with my rap.  I think it helps calls them over to you.  I also like to dead stick a big shiner close to you also for mostly the same reason, however i have caught fish on deadsticks as well at times.  Good luck… i have had a lot of fun fishing over there.  Not sure if i can make it this year.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:13 AM »
Hope everything still goes close to plan. Thursdays weather might have a say as far as present schedule is concerned. I'm thinking we won't make it on island til Friday. I'm fine with that. Still will gives two full days on the ice. Should be able to put a few on top side. Thanks for the ideals guys including the sizes. I'm a pan fishermen for the most part so i down size way more than up sizing. I have a few pimples and raps but none in the sizes you all have mentioned. Can i hope to pick up a few perch using those sizes? I will have shinners with me and know to tip with them but if i run out will i be putting in alot of work for nothing or should i go to the raps? 

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2022, 08:06 AM »
smaller is not always bad, and yes there can be a lot of perch to entertain you over there as well.  I would for sure have a couple of 7's in the arsenal though.   Also don't be afraid to jig aggressively... it took me a few years to break the habit of jigging small like I was fishing for blue gills.  Run your jigging raps and spoons up and down the water column pretty aggressively, those walleye can cover a lot of ground and fast if they want to.  For the most part try to fish above them.... and hold on if you get a 12 pounder on the line

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2022, 09:01 AM »
Just curious, what pound test line do you all use on Erie?

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2022, 10:03 AM »
I would grab a couple slender spoons as well. They worked good a few years ago. I really like that they are lighter, and have a really nice “flutter” on the way down! Good luck, and enjoy the trip!

Offline jbmfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:49 PM »
I've ice fished Erie 6 times in the past. Nothing like seeing GIANT eyeballs coming up through your hole.  I used alot of different hardware.But without a doubt a # 7 rapala in blue and chrome caught the most. The next best was a silver green prism swedish pimple # 5. I used 10lb. Nano braid a small swivel and 8 lb flourocarbon leader the current and the baits are line twisters and the fish can be very big. We always dressed the trebles with a half to full lake shiner on each point. I did catch a couple on cleo spoons and vibe baits, I also caught a few on a slender spoon though it was kinda light and the current swept it out my vexilar cone too much to my liking... Anyway I could easily go with just the first 2  I mentioned and feel prepared. What ever you try dont be afraid to make BIG LONG snaps they love to hit on the fall. The pan fish jiggle might catch one once in a while but mainly they just look at it. That all being said my Erie trips were the best outdoor adventures I've ever been on. Good luck and be safe!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I've ice fished Erie 6 times in the past. Nothing like seeing GIANT eyeballs coming up through your hole.  I used alot of different hardware.But without a doubt a # 7 rapala in blue and chrome caught the most. The next best was a silver green prism swedish pimple # 5. I used 10lb. Nano braid a small swivel and 8 lb flourocarbon leader the current and the baits are line twisters and the fish can be very big. We always dressed the trebles with a half to full lake shiner on each point. I did catch a couple on cleo spoons and vibe baits, I also caught a few on a slender spoon though it was kinda light and the current swept it out my vexilar cone too much to my liking... Anyway I could easily go with just the first 2  I mentioned and feel prepared. What ever you try dont be afraid to make BIG LONG snaps they love to hit on the fall. The pan fish jiggle might catch one once in a while but mainly they just look at it. That all being said my Erie trips were the best outdoor adventures I've ever been on. Good luck and be safe!

Sounds like heaven!👍

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:09 AM »
All plans were moved back a week. Now we hope to be fishing the 24th thru 27th.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Hope the Ice holds for you.

In the last 3 days over 50% of the western basin is opening up.
At least that's what the Sat pics show

ron
Coopason

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Fairly certain my hopes of going to erie this season are over. It will remain on my bucket list for atleast another year. Time to start the shore research to find fish on the area rivers and resi's.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Don't give up just yet.
winds may keep the island Ice intact for a
little while longer.

Ron
Coopason

Offline 2LMKR2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Sorry it doesn't seem to be working out for you. Satellite imagery shows the western basin really opening up, might be able to fish it by boat soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.