Author Topic: What do I do if someone falls through?  (Read 21592 times)

TwoNewToIce

What do I do if someone falls through?
« on: Mar 08, 2002, 03:12 PM »
I've read quite a bit on this topic, and most of it is common sense, however, it probably should be mentioned...

First and foremost...Protect yourself...
Second...get a third party to call for help...

Third...if you are going to attempt the rescue...
  1)  THROW a flotation device and/or rope to the victim.
  2)  Make a chain with others (hands to ankles) to get close to the victim, and EXTEND an object (stick, pieces of clothing tied together, etc.).
  3)  Or, if alone, lay flat and spread out, and EXTEND an object.

"STOP, THINK SAFETY" has been my mantra and motto, since I started taking my daughter in the canoe, on the range, and now on the ice...and I pray I never forget to use Good Ole Common Sense.

Does anyone have any experience that would bring this type of situation to life...?

RSQCAL

Re: What do I do if someone falls through?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2002, 09:44 AM »
I've been a member of a Rescue Squad for about 17 years and have been involved in ice rescue for about 15 of them years. The #1 thing to remember is safety. Under no situation should a rescuer go out on the ice without a flotation device.
There are far more would be rescuers drowned each year, then initial victims, in the United States. This is a fact!!

The first thing you want to do as a would be rescuer is to get boyancy to the victim. While doing this talk to the victim, calm them and reassure them that help is on the way. There are many things that can float, be inventive (ie. bucket seats with snap on lids, rear car seats, spare tires, ect.) Remember you want to get something to the victim that they can wrap there arms around. Fingers and your grip tend to lose strength and dwindle rapidly in cold/wet winter weather. This makes grabbing things almost next to inpossible after the fist few minutes. When sliding these items out to the victim always do so from the side. This eliminates the possibility of the ice breaking loose where the victim is holding on. Always talk to the victim, let them know what you are doing.

If a rope is avalible tie a loop in it and throw it to the victim. Always tie a loop in the rope before throwing it. The victim probably will not be able to grasp it or tie it on themselves.

After the victim is stable get REAL HELP!!!! Get the people with the equipment and know how to do the rescue. You donot want to pull the person on the ice or have themselves do this. The area is probably weakend which could make them fall through again. They would also be expending valuable energy that is needed to keep there body warm.

When your thinking about going out on the ice to rescue someone, remeber that even trained rescuers use the motto throw, row, then go. The last resort is to go out to the victim in person. This increases the danger to both the victim and rescuer.

I could go on for hours, I'll quit here. As a would be rescuer just remeber the basics. Never go on the ice without a floatation device, stabilize the victim, get help rapidly. Always talk to the victim, be calming, reassuring, and informative of the situation.

BE SAFE!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2002, 10:39 AM »
RSQCAL,
       That was excellant advise and very informative as well !  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2003, 02:02 PM »
Both of those responses pretty much sum it up. ;D ;D ;D :'( :'( :'(
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:What do I do if someone falls through?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2003, 11:47 AM »
i agree with lone wolf. that info should be in the state fishing regulations book so everyone is aware of what to do in an emergency.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Reelinrolly

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 11:03 PM »
Thanks for the great post....guess you learn something new everyday....thanx again...tight lines

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I always tie a 50' rope to me in case I need to get dragged out.  I leave it behind me just following along.  It creates no problems but might come in handy some day.
  I hope not but who knows.
   Da-roc

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2003, 06:55 AM »
Good advice!!! Hey what is a "Fishing regulations book"? ;D ;D He He Be safe out there and have fun Merry chrstmas to all. :'( :'( ;D :o ::)

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:34 PM »
that's such good advise..  back a few years ago my buddy and I were walking a small meanding frozen stream with our pellet guns.  all of a sudden he got weird and started jumping on the ice saying 'see, it's safe..."   the next thing I knew his hat was floating in the hole he fell through..  we were far away from any help so I had to yank him out by myself using my pellet gun barrel.  common sense told me I shouldn't get too close..   all came out well that day but it still raises the hair on my back when I think of it.. 
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:22 AM »
They should put that in a manual or the fishing regulations book. Why not have a class on ice safety?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2004, 06:01 PM »
ralph and mary and resqcal those were great helpful and informative posts...thatnks for taking the time to post. you may  just save a life or two just from this thread :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Here is the safety rope I carry on my sled. It has a large loop that people can get around thier body and has a small boat fender that keeps the rope on top of the open water, adds weight making it easier to throw, and gives the person in the water some additional boyancy.

Also...Don't forget your ice picks....that $6 item is the best insurance you can buy.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Also...Don't forget your ice picks....that $6 item is the best insurance you can buy.

My wife wouldn't let me start fishing my first year on the ice without any.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Thought this should be "bumped."

With early ice coming to many areas this is "important" for everyone to read.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:26 AM »
Prevention is the number solution, However in the event, if u fall through. Ice pick your way out, onto the surface of the ice, then start rolling to thicker ice. Rolling I think would prolly be the best, and the fastest way to get out of the area. Really like the rope Bob_D. Will be picking up the supplies for 1 tommorow. Thanks for the great info guys.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I've carried a rope with a boat cushion tied on the end but it doesn't throw that great.  Like the idea of Bob D with the loop and boat fender better so think I'll convert..

flockshot

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:05 PM »
there was an awsome video on here not to long ago by the discovery channel where a man fall in on purpose to show the proper way of getting out. id do a search for it. i think it was titled "everyone should see this" or just PM "ICESHANTY" or another mod. best video for ice safety i think ive seen.

edit...nevermind..i found it for you. http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2006, 01:48 PM »
#1 call for help get the professionals on the way first   then reach throw row then go  alot of the would be rescuer's become victims too
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:31 PM »
I've read quite a bit on this topic, and most of it is common sense, however, it probably should be mentioned...

First and foremost...Protect yourself...
Second...get a third party to call for help...

Third...if you are going to attempt the rescue...
   1)  THROW a flotation device and/or rope to the victim.
   2)  Make a chain with others (hands to ankles) to get close to the victim, and EXTEND an object (stick, pieces of clothing tied together, etc.).
   3)  Or, if alone, lay flat and spread out, and EXTEND an object.

"STOP, THINK SAFETY" has been my mantra and motto, since I started taking my daughter in the canoe, on the range, and now on the ice...and I pray I never forget to use Good Ole Common Sense.

Does anyone have any experience that would bring this type of situation to life...?

Having been in the U.S. Coast Guard for 12yrs and conducted several Ice rescues you hit the nail right on the head.  The only 2 cents I could even add to that is to tell the victim to hang onto the ledge (and stay extremely still).  While you are waiting for help to arrive the best thing you can do is just keep talking to them and keep reassuring them that help is on the way.  Don't forget hypothermia will come on fast and they need to stay still to conserve energy and most importantly heat.  Talking to them keeps their mind off things a bit and reassures them that help is coming. Hopefully the rescue personnel will have ice commander suits on instead of turn out gear!

Mack

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:26 PM »
so far i never saw anyone go in but i allways carry a rope 50ft with a stick tied on for a handle

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Ropes good but you need to beable to pick or otherwise get yourself out when you are alone.  Good reason to be near others if it is real questionable, but if its that bad at a certain point common sense should click on.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:46 PM »
good question. thank for the tips. they could save a life.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:53 PM »
ive got to admit guys im impressed, i was expecting some smarty to say run like hell, but no one did.

ive been involved in a few ice rescues in my time in emergency services and these guys have hit it on the head. all good advice. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2008, 06:26 AM »
ive got to admit guys im impressed, i was expecting some smarty to say run like hell, but no one did.

ive been involved in a few ice rescues in my time in emergency services and these guys have hit it on the head. all good advice. 
I have also for 29 years of it   but really expected someone would have  done this:   

Ha Ha!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Thank you for the good advice,  :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:33 PM »
pre-season bump to the top

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2008, 07:23 PM »
An older icefisherman who does more ice fishing in a season than many do in a lifetime always carries a boat fender/float with a 100' of rope attached.  Has it bungied on the front of his ATV or stowed in his sled when on foot.  He has actually saved lives with this simple but effective setup.  I am going to spend a few bucks and emulate him.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:21 AM »
One of the things I do is in the storage area of my snowmobiles I carry a throw rope and one of those first aid survival kits in a bottle  Never know when you need them  the rope is allways valuable used it last year at moosehead lake in the super strong winds to tie the shack to the snowmobiles!  so it has an extra use when it isnt an emergency!

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:58 PM »
Throw rope, ice picks, quick release rescue knife, flotation bib and jacket.

Change of clothes for after rescue/self rescue. Coz you gotta get your core temp up ASAP.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:12 AM »
Holy zombie thread, Batman!

It had been going on 14 years since the last post.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.