Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Getting a hole in the ice

<< < (2/7) > >>

LoneWolf:
Ralph no icefishermen I know throws out the auger
each year-they replace or resharpen the blades(removable).You are right the smaller the cutting diameter of the auger the easier it is to cut.I personally prefer a 5" hand auger(lazer)and an 81/4" power auger(mag 2000).As for power exerted on the hand auger it is not that much downward force.The blades are cutting as you rotate the handle and the ice is being pushed up by the flutes.Hope this helps, Doug >))))>

TwoNewToIce:
    Hey Guys...Thanks for the input...
Yea LoneWolf...I must have read that they "throw" out the 'BLADES' pretty often...thought I'd read that on this web-site somewhere...?
    SHAWN...what can I say...that '12000' looks like just the "ticket", however, they didn't post the PRICE...anywhere!...and I'm almost afraid to find out!...The only other drawback would be the HAULING of the battery...
    I don't imagine I'll be dealing with ice any thicker than 6" or so, but the LAZER series does come recommended by most of you...In the literature I just read, they (including the Mora) are the only (or best) brand of blades to go thru re-frozen holes...true? [Reeds-No Shipping Charge]
    PLEASE KEEP THE INFO COMING...Especially a price on the Strikemaster 12000...and any ideas on obtaining and/or moving a battery...
    Hopefully I will get the chance to try someone's auger on the ice sometime soon...
    Thanks again for helping keep me busy while I wait for the ice to get started here...2new...

THERE GOES A BUCKET OF WATER ON THE FIRE OF MY DESIRE...THE STRIKEMASTER 12000 COSTS $244.00 AND THAT IS WITHOUT SHIPPING...ANOTHER $25.00...SO...
    PLEASE KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING !

Last modification: Ralph and Mary Alison - 01/17/02 at 13:38:40

grizz:
:)Ralph, there's always dinomite you could use if you can throw. Makes a nice hole and does the fishing for you also, all you have to do is pick up the fish. JUST KIDDING!!! thought I'd lighten your day.
Grizz

TwoNewToIce:
    Hey Grizz...Stop!...I'm gonna bust a gut...

Russellman:
Ralph,  I've got a Strikemaster Lazer handtwist that I love (8" diameter).  I've got a buddy with a Mora (also 8") that he is in love with.  Both feature height adjustable handles so that you can use your body weight as the downward force.  
As others have mentioned, the twisting force is the where the real effort comes in. I've used mine in 22-24" of ice and managed to get all five holes bored in a reasonable time frame.

Don't worry too much about the blades wearing out.  I'm on my fourth season with the original issue blades, and I'm not in any hurry to replace them because they cut like crazy.  Keep them covered when not in use to prevent dings or burrs from forming, and let them dry out to prevent rust from forming during storage.  

For price & ease of transport concerns, either the Lazer or the Mora should fit the bill just fine.  Hope that this info helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version