Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

trout at night

(1/3) > >>

salmotrutta:
Anyone ever fish at night for trout?If so how was the fishing?I'M thinking about trying it this season.

Trevor:
I'm not sure what species you fish, but fishing for rainbows at night ca be awesome at certain times of year, if certain insects are present.  Though the ice the bite is usually good shallow, morning and evening, deep throughout the day, then typically dying off as darkness falls.  A trout's diet is limited under the ice(depending on location) to mainly minnows, backswimmers, waterboatman, and insect larva.

The reservoir I fish has a heavy midge hatch around the first week of August.  This particular species of midge hatch at night, so the trout go on the feed just before dark and remain active  all night long.  It is an absolute blast.  On a calm night the pupa get trapped in the film and the trout cruise like sharks with their backs out of the water inhaling everything in sight.  There are literally millions of insects so it can be tough to get the fish to notice your artificial.  You have to cast just in front of a cruising fish then impart a little movement.  It also helps to tie your fly a size or two larger than the natural.
Man, there's nothing like hooking a five pound trout on light tackle in almost complete darkness.  This last for about a week then it's over for another year.  Anyway, this is an ice fishing site so I'll shut up now.

This is the only time I find it useful to fish trout at night, but maybe some of the other guys may have a difference of opinion...

TGF:
Caught a 12 3/4 lb rainbow at 1 in the morning thru the ice. Let him go as had a 3lber for the frying pan already. The bows  I do catch at night seem to be of the bigger class. A nice bonus is alot less pressure at night. Have fun with the big boys, which I'm sure you will.

Flash_King:
Salmotrutta, we have to have a road trip to B.C. Release a 12 3/4# and keep a 3 lb'er. Way to go terry!

salmotrutta:
Sounds good Flash King.Are you from N.H.?Been nailing the rainbows on my home lake.Fish are ranging from 15 to 16 inches.I need to catch some Browns,that's the only trout that really counts for me.Do you chase trout?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version