Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

lakers on tip ups?

(1/2) > >>

AdkIceman:
any suggestions for ice fishing for lakers with tip ups prolly going to paradox lake saturday and just would like to get some tips. Like how long for leaders and should the tips ups be hair triggered or any bait preferences. and do smelt work in waters there aren't even smelt in?
~AdkIceman~

TJC:
I USE ABOUT A TEN FOOT LEADER. THE TIP UPS SHOULD DEFINETLY BE HAIR TRIGGERED LAKERS HAVE A TENDENCY TO DROP THE BAIT IF THE FEEL ANY RESISTANCE. AND SMELT SHOULD WORK BEACAUSE THEY ARE A LITTLE SMELLIER AND OILER THAN MOST OTHER BAITS. JUST TRY TO MATCH THE SIZE OF THE BAIT THEY ARE CHASING. IN PARADOX THE LAKERS WILL BE CHASING PERCH , . I HAVE CAUGHT SOME LAKERS OUT OF SCHROON ON SMALL ROSY RED FATHEADS. IT WAS LATE IN THE SEASON AND THEY WERENT HITTING SMELT. SO I STARTED TO SET THE TIPUPS FOR PERCH AND MAN IF I DIDNT HIT INTO THE AKERS KEPT 2 FOR EATING THEY WERE 36 AND 28 IN AND CAUGHT A MESS UNDER 25IN. WHEN I CLEANED THE TWO I KEPT THEY WERE FULL OF SMALL SMELT UNDER 2 INCHES. THAT IS PROBABLY WHY THEY WERE HITTING SMALL BAIT AND NOT LARGE. SO DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT. GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID.

Flash_King:
I usually fish for Lakers in NH,ME and VT.I use a polar trap but any laker set-up should have a light trigger, 15 to 20 ft leader(I like 6-8lb flouocarbon),size 8/6 hook(circle,scud/shrimp,octopus) red or gold if possible,good swivel between line and leader(additional swivel halfway down leader when using smelt-"personal prefrence")and just enough split shot to get your bait to bottom.I fish 3-5 feet from bottom.Bait - What the forage species are in the lake - lakers will feed on.Where I fish,smelt are the main forage species, and therfore we use smelt;but some fisherman will swear by small suckers. Big Lakers are lazy,and presented a meal they don"t have to chase will attack.Smelt,Suckers,Big Shiners,Whitefish will fit in a lakers mouth.Try and find deep water off a shoal area or a sunken deep water island.For additional info www.fishontario.com(laker articles)and if you are going to try suckers www.catcherman.com/ice fishing/tips/PUNKIE
Good Luck - Good Fishing

AdkIceman:
do the lake trout in paradox lake run small? I was fishin off Briars point and i caught 7 they went from 14-171/2 and they had to be 18 to keep. So I was a little bummed I didn't get any eaters but it was still fun. Maybe I was using to small of bait i had big icicles 4-5 and small suckers 3-4 inches.
~AdkIceman~

deadsmelthead:
laketrout love smelt dead or alive,I fish for them with tip ups in 5 to 15ft of water have caught them in less than 5ft usualy out the smelt 1 1/2 to 3ft below the icehasnt failed yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version