Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

help with trout please

(1/2) > >>

smokey:
i've never fished trout through the ice, only in the summer in small brooks. i have realy no idea what i'm doing but me and a friend plan on thrying it. the depth is about 60 feet where we are going. if anyone has any sugestions on what type of bait and how deep to fish for them that would be excelent

IceBalls:
Trout will drive you nuts!!!!  You NEVER know what they are going to do, or where they are going to swim.

I have caught them really deep......and I have caught them right under the ice (about two feet down in deep water).

My best suggestion would be to stagger your tip-ups, suspending some baits deep, some shallow, and see what happens.  If the shallow baits start getting hit, move some of the deep ones up near the top.

Best results for me have been with shiners (medium size).

You can also try jigging (try a jigging Rapala, or Swedish Pimple tipped with shiner head or tail) at various depths until you locate fish.

Be sure to ask your local tackle shop owner for directions to Trout waters .... you have to know where they are first!!!!

Good Luck

vancouvercanuck:
If you have a flasher that will help you out immensly. They are either suspended or on bottom. I would also stagger your tip-ups. If you can use bait, i've found Velvitta Cheese works really well for them.

FISHBONE:
ICEBALL SAID IT WELL, BUT DONT FORGET RED SALMON EGGS
ABOUT 10-12FT DOWN THOSE RAINBOWS LOVE THEM
FOR THE LAST THREE WEEKS I'VE LIMITED OUT ON EGGS, CAUGHT SOME NICE BROWNS ON SHINERS BUT IT WAS THE EGGS THAT CAME THROUGH FOR ME--GOOOD LUCK :'(

fishingking:
what kind of trout\? what kind of forage basin? salmon/lakers love smelt  browns/bows/ will take a emerald i hear brookies like fatheads  
fishing on top of trout with the wrong presentation= No fish                                                      
ask around find out what works for your lake

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version