Author Topic: Favourite jig/plastic colours for panfish or walleye  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
Favourite jig/plastic colours for panfish or walleye
« on: Dec 22, 2020, 01:08 AM »
Title should be pretty self explanatory lol. What are your favourite colours for jigs and plastics for panfish and/or walleye and when is the best time I.Y.O to use these colours. Also curious to see if some people find colours to not make a difference.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Favourite jig/plastic colours for panfish or walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:34 AM »
Strangely while looking at the plastics coloring, I see a weird pattern to my take.  Seems like for open water I favor white, cream, chartreuse, hot pink,...seems like bright colors.  While compared to winter ice fishing, I prefer solid red, brown, purple,...the dark colors or the glow ones since I like to fish for the night bite.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:26 AM »
White, chartreuse, pink, blue, and red. I keep it somewhat similar to what I would do for open water, more natural colors for clearer water, sunny days, and brighter/ glow colors for low light, cloudy days, murkier water, or thicker and snow packed ice. Additionally, if I am targeting perch, I tend to use red quite a lot, as they seem to feed on a lot of worms under water.

Funny enough, I would say that a classic wonderbread colored glow jig has been my go to the last few years. Basically, it's a whiteish glow jig, with dots of red, blue, yellow, green, etc, and seems to be very versatile.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Yeah who knew that the wonderbread color pattern would be such a great fish catching pattern.  Falls inline with the firetiger color pattern.

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:38 PM »
The wonder bread colour is definitely an interesting one, I've been meaning to try it for a while but have yet to find any in my local tackle shops. I'll keep my eyes open and scoop some up once i can find em. It seems many have success with it for whatever reason, as it doesn't really look like anything. Ive always used firetiger as a perch imitator because of the bands, also found it looks a little like pumpkinseed sunfish. Also I've never used a lot of red (with the exception of red hooks, I switch all my trebles to red ones) but might have to start too, will maybe try out san juan worms for panfish this winter or get some smaller red swedish pimples. As far as glow colours, I wont go anywhere without em. I absolutely LOVE glow. There were a few times last year where id be using a glow jig and id outfish all my buddies by 5 or 6 fish to 1 until they put their glow jigs on.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2020, 12:46 AM »
Glow Red was my next most interesting factor.  Amidst all the glows, when someone in the group was using a glow red and was catching fish like 2 to 1 among the group it was a deciding factor.  Sometimes it's about being just slightly different from others in the same area.

Offline Blackfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2020, 12:56 AM »
Very interesting indeed, I've mostly used glows that shine green as it seems to be the most common option found on baits and jigs. If I see some red glows next time I'm in the tackle shop I may pick one up and try it out. I'd be curious to see if any sort of forage underwater gives off a natural sort of glow or if fish just hit the glow because it bugs em...

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:45 AM »
I mostly start with bubblegum or wonderbread or chartruese.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2020, 11:01 AM »
I start with black or purple, if that doesn't work I go to white or chartreuse. If neither work I just start going with whatever.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2020, 11:42 AM »
All good ideas. I like the Titan Tungsten and Fiskas tungsten jigs in those colors. For perch, I like a red or glow red jig with small red scented soft plastic, my big producer the last few years has been a Little Atom micro nuggie.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.