Author Topic: What's new for your season?  (Read 7835 times)

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's new for your season?
« on: Nov 03, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Seems like I cant start a new ice fishing season without also getting near gear (beyond just new line and lures).

The past few years have been: Several rods, a Humminbird Ice 35, a few jaw jackers, new heater, Clam plate/drill for my auger, Striker Ice Armor.

This year I have purchased a new shanty. I had a Frabill suitcase style shanty. Good for two people, folds down nicely, good weight and has a floor. Not super portable once on the ice and at times in the wind it could be less than ideal.

So I have upgraded to a 1-man flip over and went with the Frabill Recruit. Good weight and fishable area. Decent pack size and seating option. Not as tall as the suitcase (I wont be able to stand up in it) but should be ok. I am actually still in the process of assembling it as I slow make some mods based on others experience. I got runners for it and installed those (though I am looking at building a sled as well as I believe it will improve ease of movement even more). I am painting the inside of the tub a light gray so it will be easier to spot dropped gear against that vs the black. A friend has a flip over with a black tub and he said it is like a black hole if you drop something. Really hard to find lures, etc. I've seen a few others do it too. Will be waxing the poles as I assemble as well and looking at options for lighting. Nothing to fancy (individually battery powered vs running a bunch off of one larger batter). I'm keeping the suitcase shanty as it would be more ideal for 2 people if I ever need that. The recruit could fit two but it would be tight.

So far that is it for this year. A chance I could still go for a rod or two but with 10+ already probably not needed haha. Next year I am already considering the Strikemaster 24V 8" auger.

Anyone else get / planning to get some new toys for the season?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: What's new for your season?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2020, 11:38 AM »

14 spoons so far , need a few horizontal jigs ,

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2020, 12:20 PM »
So far some LED string lights ..small battery pack for same ..a XL Jet Sled ..Okuma 1000 bait feeder...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Starting off slow with a few micro rattle baits and soft plastics.

Hopefully by the time the season starts I’ll have a new electric auger setup, though I’m still researching on what exactly my options are and which style or brand would be right for me.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I'll probably build a couple new rods, and might get a new auger for my drill.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:08 PM »
An Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno, a Dewalt 998 drill, and some jigs so far.

I have a pistol bit auger and an Amped Outdoors lithium battery on my Christmas List, along with even more jigs.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2020, 04:38 PM »
2 new pistons in the Ski-doo, and a box of jigs from AMPED outdoors.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:13 PM »
A 3 man hub and a homemade minnow cooler...similar to the Frabill and Engle styles at a fourth the cost.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Swinekicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:55 PM »
My list is nice and long! I hope I don't realize how much money that i have spent by writing it all out.
-eskimo outbreak 650xd. I sold my ff 6120i and upgraded to the full-length door. It looks and feels way nicer.
-Jason Mitchell Dead meat @32M. Feels like a super nice rod. A good in-between for my tickle and my avid ice.
-picsfun ICX in-line reel and their ICE-5 spinner. Both feel super nice. Put the ICX on my tickle and the ICE-5 on the dead meat. Replaced my 13 descent, which I love, but the mrs needed a nice panfish reel on her 13 wicked.
-a bunch of ram mounts to mount my helix 5 and 7 in the castle, and then more to set up my shuttles too.
-burtec wheel skirts for the house
-Milwaukee hammer drill and Kdrill 8.5" auger
-ultimate outdoors rattle reels and solid mounts to mount my rattles onto the Katz covers.
covers.
-I am trying 6lb fluoro on my heavier rods this year. It is almost as thin as my *new* clam 2 lb metered mono, so maybe I'll be able to fish my walleye rods for panfish as a dead stick.
-bought a couple of packs of the clam silkies. Seem cool. We'll see.

I think that I am done. There is definitely more, like I built a 12 rod cedar holder to mount in the castle, I am building 8 "otter style" rod holders that will be modular between my sled and the house, I made my lift-bed light cordless.... it goes on and on. Definitely the most excited i have been for an ice season this year.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:34 AM »

Sold my snowmobile and bought this:

Also looking for an enclosed cargo trailer to haul it and the the rest of my gear.

Our High Uinta lakes should be ready to hard deck fish in a couple of weeks.  Life is good.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:46 AM »

Sold my snowmobile and bought this:

Also looking for an enclosed cargo trailer to haul it and the the rest of my gear.

Our High Uinta lakes should be ready to hard deck fish in a couple of weeks.  Life is good.

Let me know how that goes. I am sick of the maintenance of sleds, and trailering them open in the salt is going to kill them quick. A SnowDog could ride in the back of the pickup under cover, and should be a lot simpler.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Let me know how that goes. I am sick of the maintenance of sleds, and trailering them open in the salt is going to kill them quick. A SnowDog could ride in the back of the pickup under cover, and should be a lot simpler.
Just go to YouTube and search for SnowDog videos.  Several show them being hauled in P/U truck beds under cover.  They also show you how to get them into and out of the bed by yourself without ramps.  Very neat.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline WalksOnH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Bought the Hummingbird Ice Helix 5.   Upgrading from Marcum M3. 
Will be testing it out on Henry’s Lake in the near future 🤞

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2020, 10:12 PM »
I got the eskimo evo 1it.  Bought it last season but it got here as the ice ended, so I never used it.  So it will be new for this season.  Excited to get it out and try it out.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Bought mine in 18/19 season and love it.  It is my early season, walk-on, pull-by-hand, go to shelter.  Lots of room inside for 2 rods - on in each forward corner with the Vexilar dead center between the rods.  Tall enough for me to stand up in (I'm 5' 8").  Enjoy.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Nothing new, quite satisfied with what I have been using for last 5 years. 2016 Polaris 550 wide track, loads nicely in my 20 foot enclosed trailer with all my gear. Looking forward to the hardwater again after my crane hunt to lubbock the 1st of Jan.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Bob I was curious about how much slush gets kicked up in your face when you go thru slush pockets on the ice, seems like that could be an issue.  :o

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Bob I was curious about how much slush gets kicked up in your face when you go thru slush pockets on the ice, seems like that could be an issue.  :o
I don't know Pete.  I've never used this machine before.  This season will be my learning period.  They DO come with a full mud flap across the back so I would think that it won't be a major problem if one at all.  And being as the driver will usually be standing to drive, I imagine that slush in the face is not going to happen at all.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I don't know Pete.  I've never used this machine before.  This season will be my learning period.  They DO come with a full mud flap across the back so I would think that it won't be a major problem if one at all.  And being as the driver will usually be standing to drive, I imagine that slush in the face is not going to happen at all.

No slush in the face. 

The issue is more not burying them in deep slush. They do not "float" over slush as well as a snowmobile.

Slush ins a pain on a snowmobile and worse on a SnowDog.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2020, 05:43 PM »

Just got this today for ice fishing.  Now to start modifications

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:08 AM »
My left shoulder...

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:43 PM »

Few new jigging spoons and a couple new rods

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Gonna revive this for the 2021-2022 season.

Not much new for me. Another rod/reel combo which puts me at 13 now. Probably should get another though. Or not take all of them on the ice. Haha. This new one is my first rod to be truly listed as "noodle" so I am excited to try that out.

Also a new drill for the auger. I run a 6 inch strikemaster Lazer (the actual hand auger not the lite flite) on a clam plate. I had been running it off my normal Ryobi hammer drill. That one was brushed and turned out 600 in/ln of torque normally but probably a bit more as I ran it on a 9 ah battery. It did great. But to be safe, I took advantage of the ol' black Friday situation and got the new One+ Brushless Hammer drill. now at 750 in/lb base, I should be turning much more with that 9 ah battery.

Other than that, just a few jigs. I have been eyeballing some of the smaller cameras though. Not that I need it since I have a flasher. But could be fun to have.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2021, 01:06 PM »
A 6" SM Lite Flight auger, Shappell HD sled, Ice Shanty Flag & beanie, and 2 Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel, 3.2:1 Inline FreeSpool Ice Reel, Magnetic Drop System, 8+1 Shielded BB, Sliver & Black, & Left Hand Retrieve.  Is it ice yet?   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2021, 02:11 PM »
A 6" SM Lite Flight auger, Shappell HD sled, Ice Shanty Flag & beanie, and 2 Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel, 3.2:1 Inline FreeSpool Ice Reel, Magnetic Drop System, 8+1 Shielded BB, Sliver & Black, & Left Hand Retrieve.  Is it ice yet?   ;D

Sounds like you just completely re-outfitted yourself. I've heard good things about the Lite Flight. Are you setting that up on a drill? I have been using a 6" since I moved to Idaho in 2014. A few people have asked why only 6 and I have told them its much more efficient, lighter, and I have never had a problem pulling even large trout through a 6 inch hole. A friend who has an 8" propane Eskimo has told me numerous times if he had to do it over, he would get exactly the same setup I have with a 6" and use a drill.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2021, 02:33 PM »
New Baffin Wolf Boots and new Nils 6-inch auger for my clam drive.  Some spoons and jigs.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2021, 03:07 PM »

Nuff' said ?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2021, 03:11 PM »
I'll make some new mooska jigs this weekend and some honey worm plastics.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2021, 03:15 PM »
Noob here with two seasons under my belt. The off season gave me a chance to up my game:

Baffin Impact boots. ActionHeat 5v heated socks, vest, baselayer pants and hand muff. Jawjackers and Jigging Bases. A few more rods and reels. Eagle Claw Ice Rod Cases. Vulture Systems tip up sensors. Nocs Standard Issue 8x25 waterproof binoculars. New old skis to replace my old Smitty sled skis. 7.5 qt Engle Bait Cooler. Clam Rechargeable aerator. Dewalt portable propane heater. Flame King DOT approved 1 lb refillable canisters and Flame King refill kit. Bulk propane hose kit (no filter needed.) Rechargeable LED Headlamp. 
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I'm up to three Semi-reliable augers... plans are to sell all three and finally get a new auger! LOL
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.