Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Just getting my start.

<< < (2/2)

spoofhoundicefisher:
always remember there is no such thing as safe ice.

RyanW:

--- Quote from: fairplay on Jan 01, 2018, 06:29 AM ---Thanks for all the thoughts.  Although I don't have a sled, yet, if I do start using one, I'll remember the long rope length... never thought about that.  I'll keep in mind about spudding far out in front of where I'm walking, too.  I should definitely do the checklist, too.  It amazes me what I'm capable of forgetting.  And holy cow, that auger blade is sharper than I thought!  I knew in the back of my mind that it was sharp, but went and took a closer look after I read your comments, and that sucker ain't no joke.

--- End quote ---

Anytime man! Yeah, those auger blades are no joke, you nailed it! Just be conscious of their sharpness and your hand placements and you’ll be alright. They would be great for an impromptu shave if you were ever lost and didn’t need a beard lol.

--- Quote from: spoofhoundicefisher on Jan 01, 2018, 08:54 PM ---always remember there is no such thing as safe ice.

--- End quote ---

This really should have been my number 2. Thanks Spoof for bringing this up. See, it’s easy to forget even the important things. Much more important than forgetting your ice scoop lol. Just plunge the auger through the hole a few times and enough slush should come out to be rather fishable. There is no such thing as “safe” ice. I put safe it quotes because the ice on a frozen body of water can be extremely unpredictable and even the most experienced ice angler can’t predict the safety of ice. This is, however, where fishing with an experienced ice angler (or reading up on great tips, not as good as first hand experience but it’s definitely better that going in knowing nothing. I commend you on gaining knowledge before hitting the ice) can help tremendously. I tend be a big stickler on safety in general. I’ve seen too many people do stupid, unnecessary, actions that can result in fatal conclusions. Not worth it man. Trust your judgment even if it’s little judgement. I’f something on the ice doesn’t feel right and you feel unsafe, get off the ice.

If i think of anything else I’ll post it lol.

Also, what all do you have for gear and what species do you plan on targeting?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version