Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Best ice fishing rods

(1/5) > >>

Thearcher1340:
  Hey guys new to the site, just getting back into ice fishing.  Went at end of season last year with the wife and are little guy, at 15 he's 6'2" and 235.  Yes he's designated to pull the sled,lol.  All my gear was old, so bought new auger the jiffy propane lite, got a new hut for mama, clams 2000 I believe.  Well rods were old and lost one due to a fish that thought he was a freight train, as mama said, she lost the pole and reel,oh boy.  So looking for some new poles this year, any suggestions and what about inline reels versus spinning reels? 
   Spent last 2 days reading some fine fishing tips. The site is awesome be spending a lot of time here, catching up on tricks and the how to's.  Thank u for the help guys and oh yeah awesome sponsors.
  I am from northeast PA , will be updating profile soon too

ifish4fishwithteeth:
 I like 13 Fishing. But, that's just my opinion I'm sure you'll get a lot more. There's also St. Croix, Fenwick, Thorne Bros just to name a few. All depends on what you're fishing for and the thickness of your wallet. Lots of options out there.

Thearcher1340:
Be fishing mostly panfish, looking to go a little further north this year for some bigger fish Browns lake trout
Saw the tickle sticks and have been looking at the st croix  Any opinions on these 2 rods and any other rods that are used by a bunch of the guys on here that it's like the must have rod.  Like I said guys I have been out of the ice fishing thing for about 20 years and just getting out the little I did last year has started that itch all over again almost like having poison ivy lol

fishinchiro307:
I have both the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick and the 13 tickle stick. Both have inline reels and I love them both. I do tend to gravitate to the meat stick more frequently as the eyelets are slightly larger and don't ice up as quickly. As far as the inline reels, I love them. I have a couple of the eagle claw and a couple black betty and the 2 are very similar. BB has better drag, but is also way more expensive.

Lyontyl:
Tough to answer as you will probably get the same type of responses as common "what is the best flasher" questions.

I have tried a lot of different brands and a few custom brands.  I currently own a mix of Clam, Frabill, 13 Fishing, Tuned Up, St. Croix, and others mixed in.

I would have to say that every company has a rod that can match the rod of someone else but the one company where I literally dropped everything else I was using and went to it was Tune Up Custom Rods.  I know there are a lot of custom rods makers but the owners are super nice and easy to work with and I swear on everything holy that I catch more fish because of the rod.  They have the perfect amount of backbone and a sensitive tip to see the bite.  Try a friends if you have a chance.  Jason Mitchell Meatsticks are great although in super cold conditions the eyelets freeze much easier.  St. Croix's are good simply because of the spring bobber attached to them, you won't find a better spring bobber in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version