Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Lake Trout

Straight Flouro or Braid and Flouro

(1/3) > >>

Cub:
Question for fellow Laker jiggers!   Currently I own and operate 4 jig rods with spinning reels. Each set up has 20lb power pro super slick 8 or Tuff line Duracast followed by a size 10 Spro swivel then 12lb Seagaur Flourocarbon leader.

I just acquired an older Abu Garcia 5500c3 Baitcast reel, So my question is has anyone tried straight Flourocarbon without Braid? I was thinking 17lb test.

The lake where I fish mostly gives up plenty of 20lb Lakers and has produced Lakers up to 35lbs.
I'm not really sure I will like the Baitcast setup but I want to try.

Thanks for your help!

Drifter_016:
I use braid with flouro leader tied with a back to back UNI knot.
Don't like using swivels for the main line to leader connection.
A bonus is the knot can be wound through the guides.  ;)2

Cub:

--- Quote from: Drifter_016 on Jan 21, 2014, 10:01 PM ---I use braid with flouro leader tied with a back to back UNI knot.
Don't like using swivels for the main line to leader connection.
A bonus is the knot can be wound through the guides.  ;)2

--- End quote ---

Thanks Drifter... I also use the uni to uni on occasion.. Have you tried straight flouo on your baitcast setups? I'm happy with the Braid on my spinning reels, Probably i'm just over thinking this..

massNtrash:
I use braid to floro with a modified Albright knot. Works really well. I really like the tuf-line braid and seaguar blue label floro leader.

trouter:
I use the 5500 on my jig rods also. I use 20 pound braid to 20 feet of floro or maxima 12 pound to a small barrel swivel and then 3 feet of floro to jig. You can get the jig down much faster with the 5500 than your spinning reel and your jig wiill stay straight. I use the 20 foot of line so there is some give when i get the laker close to the boat or near the net.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version