Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Lake Trout

Lake trout game plans

(1/2) > >>

appleye:
Curious how everyone goes about getting ready for a day chasing lake trout. I fish reservoirs in SD, MT and WY. Lake trout tend to be deep here. I look for area where a creek and river channel bends up on a point. I will set up Ice Riggers with 4' rods. In SD you can use 4 lines and in Wy you can use 6. I keep one rod to jig and look in holes. I use tube jigs and beaver tail jigs tipped with salted dead minnows and jig with spoons and/ or tube jigs. Most day the jigging catching most fish but the dead rods show where the better jigging area may be. Once I get a hot hole with a dead rod I will drill a couple more holes in the area and jig. When an area dies down I go looking for a new area.

So lets here some game plans.

bigredonice:
I fish in NY, and jig exclusively.   All of my lake trout fishing gets done on large mid-depth or deep flats, depending on the forage base.   I head to gps way points from previous trips, or i will just hole hop my way across the flat, 100 - 300 feet at a time, till I start running into schools of trout.  i usually jig about 10-30 feet off bottom and wait for the fish to come charging up.

SSmithNY92:

--- Quote from: bigredonice on Dec 20, 2013, 01:02 PM ---I fish in NY, and jig exclusively.   All of my lake trout fishing gets done on large mid-depth or deep flats, depending on the forage base.   I head to gps way points from previous trips, or i will just hole hop my way across the flat, 100 - 300 feet at a time, till I start running into schools of trout.  i usually jig about 10-30 feet off bottom and wait for the fish to come charging up.

--- End quote ---

How upstate are you? Ever fish Upper Saranac Lake? There's a spot I fish smelt in that sounds just like that....makes me want to give this a shot.

MBrown4:
The shallowest I've caught a laker was 15 fow.you would be surprised how often they feed on perch specially if their main forage isn't ad plentiful.have heard of guys sight fishing perch and getting Lakers in crushing their perch rig.just something to keep in mind

er-e-is:
I fish almost exclusively for lake trout, I have my go to spots on our local lakes. We can only use 2 rods in this area, one dead stick with a tube jig and minnow, sculpin or meat, hanging 1"-2" off bottom. Jig the other, tube jig or spoon. Points, humps, river channels. I have caught them from 6' - 180' deep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version