Author Topic: Henry's Lake 2012 season  (Read 12108 times)

Offline troutfool

• IceShanty Rookie
Henry's Lake 2012 season
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I just wanted to start a thread on ice fishing Henry's lake for this season that could be easily referenced and updated with the latest information from anyone who fishes there.  Rather than having a dozen different threads pop up over the next we can keep all the info easily accessible in one location.

So post your updates and photos and we can all catch some fish.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Henry's Lake 2012 season
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 04:58 AM »
They are fishing at the county boat dock, Pintail point, and the State park. On three inches of ice. I am headed up there this weekend. Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Let me know how the ice is holding up Curt, I'm still a little skiddish about going out on it even though I can't hardly contain my enthusiasm for starting the ice fishing season!

Offline golfmechhs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Oh ice season is almost upon us!!!! Let us know how it goes Curt. Itching to start hard water fishing.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Fished at the State boat dock today, there were a couple of other groups fishing as well.  Nobody was out very far, and I didn't go more than 100 feet off the bank.  Where I was fishing there was 5" of ice.  After I drilled the first hole and did a measurement I felt better about it.  But you can clearly tell that it is not very good ice out that far, in fact there are spots of open water that you can see in the distance.  I fished for about 2 hours and couldn't keep them off, it was a blast!  Mostly they were 2-3 pounders in the size of this picture, I think this was the only male I caught.  I did catch one brookie which was a thrill for me, it fought pretty good.  Deadsticking worked the best, didn't catch anything while jigging, mostly just on a piece of nightcrawler on a paddlebug.  Every color I had out caught a fish.  The wind started up, the other groups left,  and the edge was becoming very soft.  A couple of my holes started "flushing" and I could feel ever so gently the ice heaving, so I thought it was a good time to go.  It also had warmed to about 40 degrees by the time I left.  All in all I caught between 15 and 20, I kind of lost count.  It was a blast though and I can't wait for it to firm up some more.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Any reports on ice for this weekend?

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Have not been up myself, but heard from a reliable source that yesterday the ice was pretty bad over most of the lake, very unsafe in a lot of places.

Offline jcsns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I was there tuesday it rained all day and ice was going fast

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I did not fish Henrys last weekend.I was up there, but to chicken  to get on the ice. When I came home monday there was 3" of ice with 2" of water on top of it. I did fish Island Park from the bank and did alright. If it stays cold I will ice fish Henrys next Tuesday on my day off.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Checked out Henrys today. Great morning! Had 7 over 17 inches by 10:00 am. Slow going after that but steady. All in all 13 fish between 2 guys. Ice was about 3 to 4 inches but solid. Left by 2 pm and ice was holding strong. Lots of people on the lake today.

Offline Stacked69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Fished Henry's yesterday at county boat dock.  4" of ice.  Good fishing, caught 20 between two of us.  All above 17" with a couple at 22" and 23".

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Fished at Henry's today.  2 of us fished from before sunup to about 3:30.  The bite was hot from before sunup to about 11 then it died pretty good.  We had a few isolated hot times after 11, but it was really slow until 3:30.  Thought about staying for the evening bite, but we were a little pooped.  Also, while the wind was blowing we literally didn't catch hardly anything.  After 10, almost everything we caught was while jigging.  Only iced a few fish on dead sticks.  All in all we iced 30, lost about 15.  Iced a 3 1/2 pounder and a 4 pounder, that was quite a thrill.  Most were in the 18"+ range, although we did get a school of little brookies move through and caught about  6 of them, most were smallish, under 16 inches.  I can't be certain, but it still looks like there is open water out in the middle.  Where we were fishing it was 5"+, so pretty good ice.  There was some snow on the ice which I was quite thankful for.  The bare spots are quite slick.  Looking forward to getting back up there next week.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:13 PM »
keep the reports coming please, some friends and I are headed up for the weekend of the 14th.  I have only ever fished Henry's once, and it was in 1995 on soft water.  I am looking forward to fishing it again, especially on the ice.  ;D

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Looks like a really fun place to fish. Is Henry's a fairly shallow lake?

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 AM »
From what i've been told Henry's in fairly shallow. I'm going to try to head up this weekend... depending on the storm thats supposed to be moving through. Hopefully the roads wont be too bad.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Henry's is a shallow lake overall.  Where we were fishing our shallowest hole was 2 feet (which we caught around 5 good fish out of) to 8 feet.  Henry's deepest holes are only around 25 or 30 feet.  The storm this weekend is supposed to be pretty wet and sloppy, watch the reports close if you go.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Fished at Henry's today.  2 of us fished from before sunup to about 3:30.  The bite was hot from before sunup to about 11 then it died pretty good.  We had a few isolated hot times after 11, but it was really slow until 3:30.  Thought about staying for the evening bite, but we were a little pooped.  Also, while the wind was blowing we literally didn't catch hardly anything.  After 10, almost everything we caught was while jigging.  Only iced a few fish on dead sticks.  All in all we iced 30, lost about 15.  Iced a 3 1/2 pounder and a 4 pounder, that was quite a thrill.  Most were in the 18"+ range, although we did get a school of little brookies move through and caught about  6 of them, most were smallish, under 16 inches.  I can't be certain, but it still looks like there is open water out in the middle.  Where we were fishing it was 5"+, so pretty good ice.  There was some snow on the ice which I was quite thankful for.  The bare spots are quite slick.  Looking forward to getting back up there next week.
Sounds like you did pretty good did you have any luck on those Christmas jigs lol  ;D

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I've got a picture you'll be interested in!

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Looking for some recommendations.  I'm thinking about going to henrys this weekend might be my only chance this year does anyone have any opinions on what the Ice conditions might be like with this moisture coming.  I'm 6 hrs away don't want to waste a day if its not going to be safe.
sick days are for fishing!

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:20 PM »
I've got a picture you'll be interested in!
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a winner to me and great looking fish ;D

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Looking for some recommendations.  I'm thinking about going to henrys this weekend might be my only chance this year does anyone have any opinions on what the Ice conditions might be like with this moisture coming.  I'm 6 hrs away don't want to waste a day if its not going to be safe.
Even if it does warm up you should be fine if you just stick closer in at any of the places currently being fished.  I fished on 6" of good ice on tuesday.  With the weather coming, it will be sloppy and messy, but who cares if you are fishing right?  Just remember that they don't plow the road going into the state dock.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2012, 02:31 AM »
I'll most likely be there this weekend as well, hopefully wont be too sloppy. If all else fails the otter sled makes a good dry spot to sit!!

idfishnhunt

« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Nice looking fish!  Dead sticking or jigging?

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Jigging.  Hardly caught anything that day on a dead stick.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Is anyone else planning on hitting Henrys Friday or Saturday?

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:31 PM »
I was going to try it Saturday but the weather forecast is giving me second thoughts.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I was going to try it Saturday but the weather forecast is giving me second thoughts.

I'm thinking the same thing, i'm sure that I won't decide until I check the road reports and webcams Saturday morning.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Well, as difficult as it is to not go fishing I think i'm gonna pass this weekend. With 8 inches of snow forcasted for today and another 6 inches tomorrow I think I will wait to take the kiddos out. Plus looks like temps may drop next week anyway making for less of a sloppy mess next weekend. To all of you who are headed out this weekend good luck and be safe!

Offline Lklingler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Had a great day. 4 -5 inches with a little slush on top.  If someone could tell me how to post a pic I would show you my 7 pounder.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:42 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.