Author Topic: New bait  (Read 1579 times)

fisherfool

New bait
« on: Sep 05, 2004, 10:13 PM »
I recently bought a book by Mr.Cutter himself and it sayed that a 20 pound brown was found with 2 adult chipmunks in its belly. I was thinking of buying a rat or some bait mice and take them up to my 9000 ft fishing hole. What i am thinking is that small trout (majority of the lake) cant feed on the rodent which only targets the larger of the trout. Any help or information would be great i think it is a really interesting idea.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: New bait
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2004, 02:51 PM »
I wouldn't use it for several reasons. First of all, it is winter and mice/rats are not out, so the fish aren't looking to eat them. Secondly, since it is a 9000 ft. lake it most likely, unless you are fishing for lakers, have fish large enough to eat that. Also, fish do not eat as large of forage in the winter because their metabolisms are so much slower. I also do not think bigger baits= bigger fish. I have caught large trout on small worms and castmasters. Stick to those if you want to catch fish, and if you are catching too many small ones, get an aquaview and look for big ones.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Also, fish do not eat as large of forage in the winter because their metabolisms are so much slower.

That cuts both ways....  For a larger possible expenditure of energy, the predator can get more nourishment out of a larger bait than a smaller one.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2004, 08:13 PM »
Also, fish do not eat as large of forage in the winter because their metabolisms are so much slower.

That cuts both ways....  For a larger possible expenditure of energy, the predator can get more nourishment out of a larger bait than a smaller one.

True but IMO the larger baits don't seem to work as much through the ice for trout. A pike may eat a 8" sucker but trout usually don't unless they are huge, like 15 lbs. plus. So in this case a bigger bait would equal a bigger fish, but in the end you would have caught more big ones fishing the smaller bait, along with some small ones.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.