The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any Early Ice on the Front?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any Early Ice on the Front?
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:56 AM »
Hey, it's great to be back.
Wondering if anybody's heard any conditions on Francis, Tiber, or the lakes up Augusta way.  We've had quite the early cold spell and snow here in Great Falls and are hoping to walk on water this weekend. Thanks and Tight Lines to All!
Dave
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any Early Ice on the Front?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Check out the Montana Outdoor site. Someone was talking about Frances. Good luck.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:48 AM »
Thanks for the tip, L.D.H.  That's one of the best sites.  We're gonna start at the low water ramp area at 1st light Sat.  5 inches of hard ice they say.  Can't wait.  I'll post the results after cleaning my fish   ;D :D  Moochaz gassyass

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Probably will never get there but have you ever heard of Ayrod lake and where is it? Thanks.

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:52 PM »
I went up to lake frances today and there were about 6 fishermen on the lake.  I walked out on the ice and it appeared to be about 4-5 inches thick.  But there was alot of movement in the ice every step I took sent cracks through the ice.  Scared the hell out of me.  I've played pond hockey my whole life on 5 inches but never heard ice react like it did today.  Don't know if it's just the pressure in the lake or what but even when I was standing on shore next to my car I could hear the ice moving.  There's a pressure ridge that runs South from what I assume is the Island (that you can drive onto) and all fisherman were west of the ridge.  The ice on the East of the pressure ridge just doesn't look safe to me.  So if you head up there, just watch your step, don't want anyone getting hurt.  If you do head up good luck.  I'm gonna give it another week or two
Gotta Love Fishing in Montana!

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:55 PM »
In regards to my other post.  If I am just being paranoid about the Ice movement someone let me know and please explain why the Ice was cracking so much. 

Thanks.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:18 AM »
Fishing report from last Sat. dec 10
We hit Francis at daybreak from the south end at the low water ramp. Plenty of solid 6+ in.(Droz, the ice from the dam to the main lake was clear and solid)  the Wind was tolerable.  We walked up to the main lake. Wind was tolerable. Fish...not so. 1 flag within 5 min. of set-up, only fish all day was a 3 lb pike.  Left there about noon and stopped at Ayrod lakes for last couple of hrs of light. Good 8 in ice and great weather. Two other groups had already saturated the west end of the lake with sets.  It was slim pickings but, heh, we were already there.  One group left their shanty tent and drove off for almost two hours only to come back to 6 flags and three good pike.  Not my style.  We were using smelt on the sets and maggots on hooks and jigs.  Only a couple of readings on the flasher all day.  Does anyone know of a good contour map for Fransis or other area lakes?  I love to fish the 'eyes and perch, but I need to learn the lake.  But it was still great to wet the lines again.  Unfortunately, I can't get back until new years.  Good Luck.

Offline Droz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Where is Ayrod lake?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:47 AM »
Ayrod Lakes(3) are between Brady and Choteau, follow the Ayrod lakes road W/SW out of Brady.  There are a few signs and a few turns that could really use them. Should be on most maps and gazetteer.  I've only been to the upper lake with road access.  Not large, can get crowded quick.  Pike and perch, everyone I see going for pike.  Low water and limited access. walk-in on the lower lakes. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.