Author Topic: types of jiggin  (Read 1723 times)

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
types of jiggin
« on: Nov 27, 2004, 03:48 PM »
interested in hearing how you all jig for certain lures.
for example some people really pound there jig, rip it up and let is fall down
other times people just shake as if they were really nervous
others just gently go up and down.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: types of jiggin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2004, 07:45 PM »
While it's good to have a style that gives you confidence, I think that like all fishing, jigging requires you to adapt to the situation at hand. When fish are acting sluggish, ripping a lure up and down may not be the way to go. However, when they are aggressive, most techniques will produce. Sometimes the way you jigged yesterday, won't cut it today, so it pays to be flexible IMO. Also, the type of lure can dictate the action reqired.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2004, 09:39 PM »
When im fishing for 'gills, perch, and crappies i always pound, occasionally ill stop and do little twitches, but when im laker fishing i rip the jig up and let it fall and then wait and then do it a couple more times and wait. It's really all personal preference but that's just my style.
Jason

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:13 PM »
keep in mind this is very general and sometimes conditions may require you to change.

For panfish like crappies and bluegills, I like lures that have a lot of action without you doing too much like shrimpos. I just bounce them at most maybe half a foot, but mostly I just jiggle them really lightly with a lot of pauses in front of the fish.

For lakers, usually a very strong jig turns them away. Usually at most a 1 ft. lift fall, with a long pause and a bunch of twitches. Do the lift fall very slowly or the lakers will turn away from the bait.

For rainbows with spoons, I like to jig fairly aggressively, with 2-3 ft. quick lift falls, but with some pauses and jiggles in between.

Hope that helps.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2004, 11:20 PM »
With panfish I just usually jig really lightly and will pound it occasionally, but very subtly. Usually I will do little lift falls and a lot of pauses and jiggles. Panfish tend to be pretty easy.
Rainbows, browns, and cutthroats are usually almost as easy. If using spoons I will do a 18" lift fall every 25 seconds or so. After the lift fall I will let it stay perfectly still for about 5 seconds, then jiggles will be added. When tipped with bait, usually it's a pretty sure bet. Sometimes though a plain hook with bait fished as a deadstick outfishes a jigging presentation in my book though.
Lake trout around here require tons of finesse. Like IFB said, a small, slow lift and fall with lots of pauses and some jiggles will get the job done usually. But mackinaw tend to be quite fickle and in Colorado and most other high elevation western states, 90% of the time an aggressive jigging presentation will send them running like scalded pigs. But in other areas they can be quite aggressive.
The only fish in Colorado that tend to hit the lures anytime other than the pause or jiggles are rainbows, browns, or cutthroats. They are the most aggressive.
Walleyes tend to like a simple lift fall, with a 5 - 10 second pause and jiggles, followed by another lift fall. They also tend to be fairly easy in Colorado, at least in the lake I used to fish.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.