New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I officially screwed this season up for all of us...  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Salar4me

• IceShanty Rookie
I officially screwed this season up for all of us...
« on: Dec 15, 2023, 04:07 PM »
I ordered a Clam Denali Thermal shelter today insuring there will be nil ice this year.   A few deals were offered at retailers in Iowa, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. and I was indeed tempted to put even more mileage and my rapidly deteriorating vehicle.  Their shipping costs were astronomical to say the least...  I ended up paying the manufacturer suggested price - $10.00 with a promo where I had to sign up for text alerts (only about 12 so far...). Shipped free but did have to pay sales tax even though they have no physical store in the great state of NY ... believe this is now a legality...  some good reviews and a detailed video from Clam on YouTube on assembly.  Temps in the low 20’s this am... high 50’s this pm.  Now need to find two cheap snow boards to use as runners which were plentiful when I had no need.  Salvation Army had skis.  Sounds like the Clam tubs are notoriously thin

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I officially screwed this season up for all of us...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2023, 04:34 PM »
Lol don’t worry it was my fault last year. Got a new insulated clam flip over bout this time and we all know how that season went. The tub I got on my clam was significantly thicker than my old frabil but I still ended up going on their web site and order a runner kit and seat pad. Took the light bar out out my old shack. I couldn’t believe the difference from my non insulated to my insulated. Even when it’s single digits I can’t run my heater on high or ya can’t breath.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2024, 03:37 PM »
Not sure who's to blame, but I do feel cheated.
Not sure if I'm glad or sad as the heat bills have been manageable but damn, I miss fishing.
Not sure if I would have gotten all my chores done this winter had I been fishing (I guess that's a plus)
Not sure if I'm proud or what but I'm 2 years ahead on my firewood (I guess that's a plus)
Not sure if I want to get the boat ready to go or not - It'll probably freeze if I do.
Not sure if all this makes sense or not.

Anybody else aggravated?

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I bought a new clam thermal hub shanty and humminbird ice 45 to pile on top of all of my other ice fishing gear I got out and then had to put all of it away without being able to use any of it one time.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2024, 04:16 PM »
I bought  a new 8 amp battery to replace the 4 amp one on my drill. Also enough jigs to last the rest of my fishing life. New blades for 2 augers, new insulated clothing, enough bait for the entire season. Now I'm looking out my window at mud. Maybe I'll go shoot a woodchuck. Someone has to pay.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2024, 04:25 PM »

It’s no one’s fault , 💩 happens , at my age I’m happy to be able to fish soft or hardwater , there is always next season
 But I haven’t given up yet , should have went today

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2024, 04:39 PM »
..I feel like this will turn into the earliest in the season that I have taken my boat out of storage as well. I gotta do something to load up on perch for the year. I usually stock up on a years worth of perch ice fishing then troll the rest of the year. At least I will get some use out of my spot lock trolling motor.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2024, 05:24 PM »
Not sure who's to blame, but I do feel cheated.
Not sure if I'm glad or sad as the heat bills have been manageable but damn, I miss fishing.
Not sure if I would have gotten all my chores done this winter had I been fishing (I guess that's a plus)
Not sure if I'm proud or what but I'm 2 years ahead on my firewood (I guess that's a plus)
Not sure if I want to get the boat ready to go or not - It'll probably freeze if I do.
Not sure if all this makes sense or not.

Anybody else aggravated?
I hear ya 62. I’m running out of places to stack firewood! Never a bad problem to have. Should be set till 2026 lol. Been a touch and go kinda year. Took a lot of weekends off but the weekends iv fished iv pulled double headers so it all kinda equaled out so far. I’m sure if you get the boat ready you’ll have options till spring but I wouldn’t but the ice gear away yet either. I can guarantee I’ll be out again next weekend with only half hour drive. PM me if ya ever need a report from up this way. And like I seen posted on Chaumont hardware page……….

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2024, 06:45 PM »
Thanx Iceman I'll keep that in mind  and yes, I'm still hoping for a couple more weeks as well   just hope we don't get 2' of snow along with it.

Offline Fish48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:39 AM »
I think I started the curse about 7 years ago when I bought an ATV to head out on Lake George to some remote laker spots on north basin of lake. All went well until winters started getting "non winter like" and ATV sat in driveway unused.  I sold it rather than to watch it go unused.  This year has been the worst.  I could have left boat in water LOL :-\

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:50 AM »
I'm sad because I spent $800 on a new Striker ICE Apex and used it only once.

My wife is sad because I'm home all the time!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2024, 09:35 AM »
I'm sad because I spent $800 on a new Striker ICE Apex and used it only once.

My wife is sad because I'm home all the time!

That makes 2 said wives

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2024, 11:44 AM »
Could be my fault too as I cut back on contract work so I could spend more time out. On the brighter side.... less fishing pressure and bigger fish. rebounding fisheries and lots of cheap (not-so) used equipment. when I get out I'm catching PB trouts, Wallies and Perches... Batteries on my drill last ALL DAY for the entire group, more time to build new ice gear...
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2024, 12:40 PM »
I'm glad we all seem to be gentlemen about this. Most of us are owning up to the "It's my fault" attitude instead of pointing fingers at others. It takes a big person to accept guilt and admit it. Now we can get busy polishing up our SLIGHTLY used stuff and be prepared for next season.

Note:  still hoping for a week or two on some small water somewhere

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2024, 05:07 PM »
I'm glad we all seem to be gentlemen about this. Most of us are owning up to the "It's my fault" attitude instead of pointing fingers at others. It takes a big person to accept guilt and admit it. Now we can get busy polishing up our SLIGHTLY used stuff and be prepared for next season.

Note:  still hoping for a week or two on some small water somewhere

It's my fault I bought about $200 worth of tackle cause fishusa had such a great sale. Be we also can't point a finger at someone cause 3 are pointed right back at you
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2024, 10:32 PM »
Sorry guys it's me...Convinced the wife to get a new Vexilar for me xmas '22....haven't walked on ice since. :(

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2024, 05:11 AM »
No, wasn't you guys. It's my fault. I didn't buy anything new this year to try out, thus I alone am the guilty one.
I will buy some stuff for next season so we all have ice.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:25 AM »
I hate to say it but it's probably my fault.  Got my brother in law involved in ice fishing 2 years ago and he went out and bought full on gear, flip over, rod/reels, lures, float suit.  Hasn't been able to use it any of it since purchase it's still all brand new.  A few of our trips were to NY so I figured him and I will take some heat for this one!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2024, 06:08 AM »
oh but isn't it nice to have all that new stuff?  now let's all get out and support our local tackle shops - they need your help !

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:31 AM »
I'll take my share of the blame.  Replaced a coupe of rods, new float coat, new vex batteries, scheduled time off........  Got out one time on questionable ice.  50's coming this week, beginning of the end for me.  On the plus side, got a kayak for Christmas and have had plenty of time to rig it the way I want.  Start of a new season when I don't want to get the boat out with salt on the roads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.