Author Topic: Lures, water depth and color attenuation  (Read 1422 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lures, water depth and color attenuation
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:47 AM »
I've been going down a rabbit hole this morning.

I spent some time today reading about color loss in deeper water and while I've seen a few shows about it I never really thought about it in relation to ice fishing where I am targeting fish at a variety of depths.  The link below shows a chart where we lose the ability to see red after a depth of 5 Meters, orange at 10M, yellow at 20M, green at 30M and blue at 60.  So one of my favorite lures for this year has been a red blood worm plastic, but now I am thinking that the red disappears below 15 fow, and I'm starting to wonder if I only have had luck with that lure in shallow waters.

Do any of you change  your lure color to match the depth of water that you are in and if so does it seem to make a difference?  The season is getting close to being done and I don't think I am going to have much chance to do a lot of experimenting, but it seems like matching color and depth might be a differentiator.

http://www.divephotoguide.com/getting-started-with-underwater-photography/basic-principles-light-underwater/
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Lures, water depth and color attenuation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:08 AM »
Heres a little chart on lure color and depths they disappear at.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Heres a little chart on lure color and depths the disappear at.

Thanks doc - that's a very cool graphic.  Was there an article it came from?  I'm definitely interested in learning more.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Dam, wish I could remember where I saw it, but some guys were talking about trolling for kokes deep and how the colors affected their catch rate.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:22 PM »
Thanks doc - that's a very cool graphic.  Was there an article it came from?  I'm definitely interested in learning more.
i forgot where i got that chart years ago and keep it while im steelhead or bass fishing and match plug color  to depth.i just took that out of it as it pretty much summed up what the article said.lol i would never guessed red disappears real fast.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:17 AM »
UV reflective color spectrum changes a lot of the color absorption depth of water.

Also the distance to the lure will also affect the perceived color of the lure. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.