Author Topic: Recommendations for a small heater for a one man flipover.?  (Read 5988 times)

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thinking of buying a small heater for my flipover shelter.

Likely propane......

Any recommendations / photos of what works well for you ?

Thx. Danman

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Recommendations for a small heater for a one man flipover.?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2021, 04:38 AM »
I run this in my one man houses.

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:41 AM »
I have a 2-person Clam Trap Guide - old shelter. I use a Buddy Portable which gives 4000 & 9000 BTU. the only time I use the 9000 setting is to quickly warm up my hut or if air temp is sub-zero.  Don’t overbuy. 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:39 AM »
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater will be more than enough in a one man.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater will be more than enough in a one man.

this, I have a small buddy for my 2 man, works great in windy frigid air, works too well if its above 20 and the sun comes out.

The portable would be great for your needs
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MeanGeno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:36 PM »
got this bad boy....like it....nice heat...compact....doub les as a stove and can heat while stove...doesnt burn alot of propane.  on sale right now, $10 less than when I bought. check it. @)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P89X8FW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Anyone use a non-propane type heater? I run a buddy heater in my one man and it is over-kill. A small, compact electric heater would be awesome
Da Pack!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:37 PM »

I still got three killers I have used for decades

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:56 PM »
The Mr Heater Portable Buddy would be my choice..if applicable add a cross brace to the rear of the seat and hang the Portable Buddy ..when you run n gun be cognizant of the heater as you fold the shelters tent back .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:28 PM »
I have a old Coleman 512 Catalytic Heater that I use in my Shappell 100 or Frabil pop-up. 

Can't control the output once it's running, so either open a window or throw the whole thing outside if it gets too warm.  ;)

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:07 AM »
I have had good luck with my Coleman Sport at heaters in my flip over tent. Not too much sand very convenient.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I don't use a heater- just getting out of the wind is enough for me, but this post got me thinking: I have a small backpacking lantern that hangs from a chain. It uses little butane cylinders. It sure warms up a backpacking tent quick- I bet it would be plenty for my Frabill Recon. Of course, you need to watch ventilation, but that is the same for any combustion. That is about the lightest I can think of, except for maybe a candle lantern. In a snow shelter, a single candle will raise the temperature to the point where you need to worry about the melting.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:14 PM »
Only prob is butane does not work well in cold temps....otherwise that would work. Propane lantern.... :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:54 PM »
I don't use a heater- just getting out of the wind is enough for me, but this post got me thinking: I have a small backpacking lantern that hangs from a chain. It uses little butane cylinders. It sure warms up a backpacking tent quick- I bet it would be plenty for my Frabill Recon. Of course, you need to watch ventilation, but that is the same for any combustion. That is about the lightest I can think of, except for maybe a candle lantern. In a snow shelter, a single candle will raise the temperature to the point where you need to worry about the melting.

That will work good use one just like it  might have to lift the top once in awhile

Offline kuther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 01:16 PM »
 I use a Coleman Compact Propane Lantern 5132-700 in my flip over shanty.  It has kept me warm on the coldest days out on the ice.  Bought it at a Walmart years ago, Cabela's have them for 29.99 now.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:56 AM »
i couldnt imagine how warm it would be in my one man with a heater.  it would run me out im sure.  a sunny day can run me out of it alone.  i rarely fish in anything below zero though either.  neat tiny heaters posted!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Anyone use a non-propane type heater? I run a buddy heater in my one man and it is over-kill. A small, compact electric heater would be awesome

got a little electric here too most times use a small lantern and stove

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Where do you get electricity out on the ice?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I use Trangia alcohol burners. 91% rubbing alcohol is cheap, especially in bulk, and doesn't make nasty fumes. The downside is you have to refuel them about every 30-40 minutes, so I have 2 to swap out. Burn one while the other cools down to refill. Keeps my Shappell DX toasty, and it's not insulated.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2021, 10:35 AM »
  I agree!  You won't need the big buddy, for sure.  And, If I were you I'd pick up a 10lb propane tank and a hoes adapter, instead of using the expensive 1lb tanks.  You will recoup the money spent on the 10lb tank very quickly.

X3. And a 5#er is another option. Less weight/footprint.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2021, 10:40 AM »
Reg. Buddy heater does fine for me.  Turn it off sometimes.  What I like about it  is if it gets tipped over or CO2 builds up it will shuts off.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2021, 01:54 PM »
Where do you get electricity out on the ice?

Get it from second battery just like the one that powers the fish finder

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2021, 11:15 AM »
I run this in my one man houses.

I use the same heater but still just screw in the 1lb cylinders. I am a noob when it comes to modification like you have here. Can you post a list of supplies and what not? I would be interested in trying that someday.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2021, 12:43 PM »
They don't get much lighter or compact than this. It puts out some nice heat and a 1 lb refillable will last several trips.
It's butane so you do need the propane adapter for it. As a bonus it also works as a stove. I am very impressed with it so far, going on my second season.

AOTU Ultralight Portable Wind-Resistance Camp Stove Adjustable Camping Stoves Backpacking Stove with Piezo Ignition for Outdoor Camping/Hiking/Mountaineering Cooking
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2021, 12:59 PM »
Little buddy for a small shack like that would be great. On mine a one pounder lasts like 5-6 hours so no need to carry a huge 20 pound tank with you. Anything bigger might make it a sweat lodge

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2021, 01:03 PM »
I would rather have the buddy heater.  The one pictured uses the 1lb tanks.  The buddy is bigger, but you can hook it up to a larger tank, saving $ on gas!  At an avg of $5 a bottle you'll be spending a lot of $ buying 1lb bottles.  You could save by refilling your own bottles but I'd still rather use the buddy with bigger tank, just a personal preference.

Just throwing options out there. I personally use a 5# with a Mr. Heater cooker. Bit much for a small hut.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2021, 01:20 PM »
 3800 BTUs in a 1 man is plenty , my portable is 3000-5000 , on 3000 I can get a full day out of 1 tank , my other 1 goes from 1500-3000 BTUs ,
 If I was to buy a new one it would be a little buddy or a tex sport 1,500-3000 , or flame king portable 3000 btu

Flame king refills are a deal,  mine has already paid for it’s self more than once
 13.50 to fill a 20# tank

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2022, 09:54 AM »
A friend asked for help making the exact same rig as Monticatgeek posted above. She brought her one person Fish Trap and the heater to my house to look at it. We set up the 'Trap in my driveway to get a feel for things. The first thing I said was that heater and 5# tank inside the shack takes up too much room. I moved the seat bracket 3" to the left (she's right handed) so we could mount the heater to the right side bracket that the hoop poles pivot on. I drilled a hole high up in the back of the sled to run a propane hose through. I covered the hole with a single spring loaded outdoor electrical receptacle cover. I really wish I took a picture of this next part. If my explanation isn't clear enough, I apologize. I made a dovetail mount out of 1/2" plywood. The whole dovetail mount was about 4"x4". The part that bolted to the Fish Trap bracket was a 4"x4" piece with two narrower pieces ripped at a 45 degrees screwed on each side of the first piece, leaving a space between them to create a female dovetail. Then we ripped a piece to fit the space with a 45 degree bevel on both sides to create the matching male dovetail. We rattle canned the wood black to match the shack. Then we mounted the male dovetail to the handle portion of the Little Buddy with a conduit clamp and screws. It slides in and out perfectly, making it very easy to screw the hose to the heater. The heater mounted male dovetail is small so it's not in the way if she wants to use that heater for something else. It wil still work just like an unmodified heater.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2022, 11:21 AM »
The Mr Heater Portable Buddy would be my choice..if applicable add a cross brace to the rear of the seat and hang the Portable Buddy ..when you run n gun be cognizant of the heater as you fold the shelters tent back .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.