Author Topic: Rapala Ice Rod Protector (Sleeve)  (Read 640 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rapala Ice Rod Protector (Sleeve)
« on: Jan 31, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Anyone using the Rapala Ice Rod Protector? I looked for a review on YouTube but nothing pops up.

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/ice-fishing-accessories/rapala-ice-rod-protector/RIRP.html
jbird68

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rapala Ice Rod Protector (Sleeve)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:41 PM »
Anyone using the Rapala Ice Rod Protector? I looked for a review on YouTube but nothing pops up.

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/fishing-tools/ice-fishing-accessories/rapala-ice-rod-protector/RIRP.html

I was looking for info on those too, and came up empty handed. Was trying to figure out if there is any real hard protection built in, like a plastic insert, or if it was just padded nylon. I ended up buying rod pods, kind of pricey if you need a bunch of them, but I only needed two.

Offline Check6Mace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2021, 11:33 PM »
Padded nylon opens like a taco.

At 15 long, its too short for full protection on my 28 UL rod.

Nice idea if longer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:33 AM »
Yes,
Awesome heavy duty thing that works better as a tip protector for a heavy rod.  I wouldn't use it on anything else.  Using it on an ultra light rod will probably break the rod as since there is considerable weight with the sleeve.

I will say that the velcrow on them are too much.  They should've just have a little less velcrow material.  You could bind three rods with one.  It is kind of clumsy but it is tough.

At the moment, I think it will only work on my Elliot Siscowett ice casting rod or the St Croix Mojo Ice casting rod.  I put mine on currently some Cabela's XML 7' Heavy power rods.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Check6Mace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:12 PM »
Ice Team? Sleaves

Berkeley Gear

Tickle Stick guides got caught in webbing.

Rapala

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2021, 06:35 AM »
I wrap my rods in pipe insulation and then carry in this case.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:54 AM »
try golf club inserts and cut to size. I think I picked up that tip from this site years back.

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I made these out of electrical wire piping.  You could also use pvc pipe.  It took me about 10 min. to make two of them and they work great.  Just make sure when you cut the slit for the reel seat, that you don't cut them to wide.  Leave them so that the reel seat has a snug fit, so that they don't fall off.  And, when you put them on, thread the hook and line through the pipe and then bring it down to the reel.  I found this out by hooking the line onto the reel and then putting it in the sleeve.  When I did so, the line tightened up and snapped the tip off of the rod I was trying to protect.  Like they say, "live and learn".  Hopefully some of you will benefit from my mistake, lol.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:33 AM »
I use fluorescent bulb sleeves.    you can buy than at home depot

they have end plugs

cut to length as needed

notch out a slot for reel handle using tin snips

buy velcro sticky strips to wrap around rear end to hold them on

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Great ideas above!

A person could add a reel cover to those (I think) and have everything covered up. Probably more of benefit to spinning reels.

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Spinning-Cover-Pouch-Glove/dp/B078GHR83X

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:10 AM »
try golf club inserts and cut to size. I think I picked up that tip from this site years back.

Be sure to get the big ones- there are several sizes, and the 1 inch diameter ones are not big enough to clear the guides on a spinning rod. I use 1-1/2 inch PVC with a slot cut in with a router, since I use them as a handle. They are bolted to the fishing box I put in the rack of my snowmobile, and I drop the rods in tip first like a scabbard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.