Author Topic: Buzz-bomb lures  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Buzz-bomb lures
« on: Nov 16, 2006, 12:58 AM »
Which brand of buzz-bomb lure do you all perfer, the original buzzbomb, the spinnow or the zzingger?
what species do you use them for, which color do you prefer and why did you chose that type over the others? ???

I have been looking at all three and don't really know enough about them to pick the better one.
My target fish would probably be pike and walleye. :-\

WW

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Buzz-bomb lures
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:26 AM »
You should never ever put a buzz-bomb on your line. The fish tend to get real mad (because of the vibrations) and bite it :%$#!:

If I want to get them mad, out here in BC I use the glow ones for deeper water. (Mostly for burbot) Burbot are mostly night feeders so glow shows up better and the vibrations bring them in.
I have caught lakers on silver b-bs.
Not sure about walleye or pike?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2006, 04:28 PM »
The first thing I do with a buzz bomb is throw the hook away.  I replace it with a Gamakatsu.  I've never had trouble wih the line getting tangled in th treble, but I had a hell of a time hooking anything with the hooks that they come with.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:31 PM »
terry catch any laker's ice fishing with em??? i know they slay lakes in the sumer for sure, drift jigging.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I have had great success using the 'Spinnow' esp. for late season pike. Exagerated(sp)jigging...lift 2-3 ft and just let the weight take it down,they usually hit just as you're starting back up again---then hang-on. I've caught some great pike this way.  I use the lightest one they sell...I forget what weight that is but it's about 2.5 inches long. Fishrmn is right the hooks aren't the greatest...I usually use them for a while(they will bend up) and then replace them(Gamakatsu's are the greatest  ;D )  I must admit that I've not had great luck with the other designs(probably just me as lots of people really like them) and I've never used them on open-water as I don't get in much summer fishing. The plain silver is my choice.  :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2006, 06:04 PM »
the chromies in the smaller sizes are dynamite for trout either drift trolling or ripjigging...the salmon color is also not too bad either....dont know what kind of problems you have with the trebles supplied other than pinching barbs...and I would have to agree with TGF....piss you off when they bite the dang things.....Grump

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Where can you pick these up?  Do they have batteries in them, if not, what causes the vibration?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Buzz bombs rotate on a horizontal axis as they fall. No batteries needed. Make sure you don't jig them like other lures. Read the package instructions, they are there for a reason. Basically it is a slow lift and fast drop. If you jig fast they will tangle. Drop fast works ok for me with very few tangles :-\. Make sure you check your line frequently where the line connects to the hook especially if using the bigger 4 or 5 inchers. They tend to hammer down on the rubber bumper and can weaken the line over time.

MeadowPman: Yes I have used them with great luck in summer. If I'm trolling over an area and see fish on my finder. If I don't get a hit and I know they are there (big ones deeper down) then I will grab my buzz bomb rod, kill the motor and toss the silver/chrome 3 - 5 inch buzz bomb into the other side of where I first spoted them. Then let it fall some, lift some, fall some, reeling in some, repeat. (drift jigging is explained on the back of package) Make sure the fall is semi controlled so if any abnormalities then set the hook. Winter I find other lures have seem to work better for lakers but they do work. I have caught some nice brookies on 2 inch salmon colored BB.

I definately sharpen the hook on new hook. I have also replaced the trebles but that is usually after the ones they come with get worn out.

They are killer drift jigging for salmon in the ocean ;)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:33 PM »
seen some guys this summer who schooled us the one day using nothing but buzz bombs, we were downrigging, they probably outfished us almost  2 to 1

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I've got the original buzzbombs and some spinnows, the buzzbombs are absolute laker slayers!!!  They will hit them when nothing else will work.  Just make sure to really rip them 2-3' up every time, the fish usually hit them on the way down.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:49 PM »
very unique action sets them apart from all other lures

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:24 PM »
interesting and valid comment 2 posts back about them hitting on the slack line/flutter.....I cant recall a trout hitting on the lift....always the drop....Grump

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Definately most fish will hit on the drop. I don't think I've ever had a fish (lakers, trout, or burbot) hit on the lift. Its usually when you go to lift you have a fish on or you notice that you don't feel the thump down of your lure on the rubber stopper, when it should have.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I have never thought of using them through the ice :o
The only time I have ever used them was in the Puget Sound,WA for Silver Salmon. I don't think I have ever seen them in NY.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.