Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Will this work?
« on: Oct 30, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I don't own a Vex. So when jigging with a Swedish Pimple or Jigging Rapala how do you mark the line to go to the same depth after catching your first fish?  The lake I fish has a lot of stumps and brush in it. If I go clear to the bottom each time I catch a fish. I'll lose a lot of Pimples.  I thought of using a "knot thingy" for slip bobbers. I'll be using a jigging rod with a small open face reel.  Any info on this will be a help.

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2006, 05:46 PM »
Chuckles,

I don't if this it what you mean by the "knot thing" but I use a product called Bobber Stops. They are very small, red pieces of flexible plastic with four holes that are usually used to keep slip bobbers in place. You can use them to mark your depth as well while jigging (no need for a bobber). They slide up and down your line easily and they are so small that you can actually reel them through your guides and into your reel if you're fighting a fish. Even though they are tiny, you can see them pretty easily while jigging. 

Here's a picture (ignore the round beads)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2006, 05:50 PM »
You may also mean the thread knots that are also used to keep slip bobbers in place, they do work well to mark you depth. I have also heard of others who  a rubber band and place it over the line so it stops the line from going down any further........

Last but not least Zebco makes a crappie seeker reel (slab seeker) that has a push button pin deigned to give you the ability to only drop down to a certain point

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2006, 05:53 PM »
I have used those "knot thingys" for the exact use you are discribing, and they work well....

Now start saving your money for a flasher! ;D

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2006, 02:24 AM »
  I used the thread knots, premaid. I bought a pack of 100 for around $10 I believe if that last year at Gander Mountain. I don't use slip bobbers much unless I have someone who has ice fished very little with me. I personally will use the knot as an actual bobber when the fish are biting light after the jigging. :-\ but that's just me. I don't know much about ice fishing, and come up with some crazy techniques, but they seem to work alright.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:28 AM »
"Thanks"..... guys for the info.  My concern was that the "thread knot thingy"  would obsorb water and freeze to the line on the spool.   I'll just have to give it a try. Maybe a small rubber band knot would do the trick. Whatever...."Bring-on-the-ice.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:55 PM »
"Thanks"..... guys for the info.  My concern was that the "thread knot thingy"  would obsorb water and freeze to the line on the spool.   I'll just have to give it a try. Maybe a small rubber band knot would do the trick. Whatever...."Bring-on-the-ice.

Never had a problem, pull the knot tight and it cant soak up much water.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:14 PM »
 I use the little rubber bobber stops that look like a tiny football.
The thread on the line off of a wire loop .
They are different colors according to line weight and I get them at K-mart.
They don't collect water and they slide thru the guides real well.They can also be used as markers on tip ups.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Just a suggestion but instead of the knot, just mark your line with a felt tip marker at the depth you catch the fish at.  :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:21 AM »
Just a suggestion but instead of the knot, just mark your line with a felt tip marker at the depth you catch the fish at.

So as you hook a fish you take the time to pull out a felt-tipped marker?
That just doesn't seem feasible to me...

I have used those "knot thingys" for the exact use you are discribing, and they work well....
Now start saving your money for a flasher!

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.