Author Topic: Perch Eyes?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch Eyes?
« on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:58 PM »
anyone use perch eyes on their lures when jigging?  and how effective do you find this to be?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch Eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:31 AM »
I've found them to be highly effective.  I use minnows until I get a couple perch on the ice and then switch over.  If I ever start using drop shot rigs for perch I may stick with minnows, but using a small jig I like using the eyes...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:56 AM »
anyone use perch eyes on their lures when jigging?  and how effective do you find this to be?

I use eyeballs after I run out of grubs.
I don't think they are as effective, but they definitely work!
Welcome to IS!

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:59 AM »
I find the eyes to extremely effective on the larger 13 to 15 inch sized perch.  They seem to hit the eyes well when the grubs won't work.  Walleye like them too   :o

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2006, 08:06 AM »
I use perch eyes alot out on the Bay of Green Bay, seems to keep the smaller fish off the hook when the bit is on! :tipup:
I had good luck for walleyes also using a small buckshot spoon and perch eye.
CEO

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:49 PM »
they work good, and they are just as good to eat...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:45 PM »
they work good, and they are just as good to eat...

:sick:

i like to use them, and like the others say, they seem to keep the little ones away, but if your out for fun its best not to use them, waxies will catch many more, but if your out for the larger fish, they are great :tipup:

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2006, 09:02 AM »
I use them a lot because the lake I fish does not allow live minnows.  The problem is catching the first fish.  I made a nifty little tool out of a bic pen and a paperclip while sitting in the office one day and it works great foro gettin the eyes out without popping them.  Take the ink cartrige out of the pen. Jam a large paper clip in the hole so it forms a loop bent at a slight angle. It works great to just scoop the eyes out.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Hopefully you werent making 'eye-gougers' out of company property!!  ::) ::)

I often related the ole perch eye bite as some days they wanted a dark bait, and some days a light bait, and yeah, seems to catch the bigger ones.  Maybe the young ones arent quite as 'canabalized'....

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Hopefully you werent making 'eye-gougers' out of company property!!  ::) ::)

we swear, those were our paper clips :D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2006, 09:26 AM »
and i found the pen in the parking lot, really ,,,,,and and...it was already broken.... ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2006, 09:55 AM »
I have tried rubber perch eyes off and on, with mild success. I have a hard time removing real perch eyes without damaging them.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I have tried rubber perch eyes off and on, with mild success. I have a hard time removing real perch eyes without damaging them.

yeah, that can be a proble, im not sure how you do it, i just squeeze the cheek and slide a preformed paperclip behind and under the eye and swoop carefully, they are connected good, but after a few its not that bad :tipup:

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Perch-eyes on a hali-jig.....can't beat it for catching bigger perch. I always remove eyes when I'm cleaning perch,put them in a plastic bag(separated a little)and put them in the freezer.When I'm going fishing I  take out what I need.
I believe fresh eyes are better but I make sure I kill the fish first(just me, but I can't do it to a live fish). we aren't allowed to use live minnows,so this is next best. The large paper clip works great for this job...I've found it works better if you put your finger inside the mouth and push out on the inside of the eye socket.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:11 AM »
rarely use them, but they do work. compared to other baits I dont know where they rank, I dont use them enough
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:25 AM »
They work great for perch, last longer then larva, and are free.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2006, 06:01 AM »
...Swear by 'em.  I start with a salmon egg on my jig and after they start hitting, it's eyes only.  My problem is finding what color jig they like 'em on.  Seems later in the season, they like green

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.