Author Topic: help with spring bobbers.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
help with spring bobbers.
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:42 PM »
I built one. I love the sensitivity, but my line wraps up in it. What is the proper way to run line? Through the whole spring or what?
I am thinking of buying some. Does anybody have a favorite style?

Also I was able to pick the spring I wanted. If I buy it how do I know what the right spring is? I can see it would be different based on the weight of your rig. I want it for small to medium teardrops.

Thank-You!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: help with spring bobbers.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009, 03:13 PM »
I built one. I love the sensitivity, but my line wraps up in it. What is the proper way to run line? Through the whole spring or what?
I am thinking of buying some. Does anybody have a favorite style?

Also I was able to pick the spring I wanted. If I buy it how do I know what the right spring is? I can see it would be different based on the weight of your rig. I want it for small to medium teardrops.

Thank-You!

I use the spring out of a pen tied to my rod.

Make sure the line goes through the whole spring and you may have to put a drop of super glue where the wire ends at the tip. Thats to make sure the line wont get rapped up in it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:26 PM »
ya run the line through the whole spring
TIP-UP

Offline TipupMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I Bought the frabill panfish popper style ones, Love EM!!

Offline PIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I was going to order some of those panfish poppers. is there different levels of sensitivity on them or are they all the same. also, i looked at my local gander mountain and i couldnt find them did you order them online or did you find them at a store. Thanks.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:53 AM »
I have 2 of my poles set up with the frabill popper, I can only use them on days when the temp is above say 15 or 20 as the little beads of ice on the line get caught up in the spring. If it's colder I use the flat metal spring bobbor as the hole is bigger. I really like the sensitivity, the bite is pretty light around these parts.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:15 PM »
You may have to go with a lighter line. Higher lb. test lines are stiffer and can maintain "spool loop memory" more than lower lb. test.
I do agree with the temperature considerations, as once the residual water from the line freezes on the spring, it WILL clog and cause the line to jam in the spring.
It happens with the guides on my jigging rod, so this would be more likely to happen on a spring bobber.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:00 PM »
You may have to go with a lighter line. Higher lb. test lines are stiffer and can maintain "spool loop memory" more than lower lb. test.
I do agree with the temperature considerations, as once the residual water from the line freezes on the spring, it WILL clog and cause the line to jam in the spring.
It happens with the guides on my jigging rod, so this would be more likely to happen on a spring bobber.

This is going to sound grose but i just suck on the tip of the rod or spring bobber for a second and the ice comes right off.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:14 PM »
ya i have some of those popers on my rods and i do the same thing when they ice up  ;D
TIP-UP

Offline yukon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • leaving the ice sometimes as hard as going to work
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I got rid of all the spring bobbers on my rods, replaced them w/Schooley's Spring Bobbers they are just a thin flat bar w/a eyelet. I take the plastic fastener off and wrap thread to mount them. Tired of line gettin caught in the spiral type bobbers!!!

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I got rid of all the spring bobbers on my rods, replaced them w/Schooley's Spring Bobbers they are just a thin flat bar w/a eyelet. I take the plastic fastener off and wrap thread to mount them. Tired of line gettin caught in the spiral type bobbers!!!
Yukon how well does the thread work for fastening the spring bobbers? If it gives you trouble try dentil floss it has that waxey coating which holds up forever. I've had mine on for 6 yrs. now and with no problems.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline bigtreeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2009, 09:33 AM »
 :icefish:  We use the "Big Ice, South Bend" wire bobbers and love them. Caught more fish jigging now than ever before. Super sensitive even to the softest bite. They are holding up well into our second season with them.  8)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 03:55 PM »
at Thorne Brothers they have a spring bobber threader. never used it, but looks like it would work. here's the link---

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/spring_bobber_threader.html
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:47 AM »
This may be a little off subject but do you guys always have the spring bobber out past the tip or have you ever used it between the tip and the second eyelet?
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline bigtreeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2009, 06:13 PM »
This may be a little off subject but do you guys always have the spring bobber out past the tip or have you ever used it between the tip and the second eyelet?
  We set ours out past the tip. It gives the most action and sensativity I feel. Not sure why you would put back between the eyelets.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.