Author Topic: Clam Nanook XL Thermal  (Read 10711 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
« on: Aug 25, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Is we start thinking about the upcoming season, some of us are thinking of shelter upgrades - me included.  I currently use the Eskimo EVO 1 and really like it, but have come to the realization that a 2-man shelter would be a tad better.  I plan to keep the EVO 1 for walk-on fishing and get a 2-man for pulling when I use the snowmobile.  I've looked at all the major players (shelter brands) and I REALLY like the concept of the new side opening features of the Clam Nanook XL Thermal.  Most retailers are showing it as currently out of stock, but I expect that will change in the next month or two.  Retail is about $530 and I found a couple of listings at below $500.  Since this is a fairly new item, I don't know if anybody has one.  But some may have a similar Clam thermal unit with the older front door.

Would be interested in hearing what you think of the Clam Quality and functionality.  What say you?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Clam Nanook XL Thermal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Dubob, if this I.S. member does not see your post and reply send him a personal message. Member's screen name is Monticatgeek he has a connection to Clam and should have the info. you seek or send you in the right direction to get it.
  Steve

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I sent him a PM.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2019, 12:57 PM »
so here is the run down on the Nanook . it is offered in a thermal and non thermal model. the non thermal has a MSRP of 449.99 and the thermal MSRP is $529.99. new changes to it this year include the height being increased 8 inch so it is now taller then the original nanook, the seats have now been upgraded to the better deluxe seat unlike the original. the addition of the new doors and the option to buy a add on floor for it. set up size is 92" long X 61 inches wide and now is 69 inches tall verses the original was only 61 inches tall. weight is as follows : non thermal is 76lbs and thermal is 78lbs. the seats are removable so you can lighten it up by taking one seat out and making it into a oversized one man house. The Nanook has been one of the best selling houses over the years. it started out as the fish trap 2 then became the guide and then nanook and now with the change in size the nanook xl. I am planning to get one of these this year as one of my houses along with a Legend XL and a X200 Pro and a X300 Pro. It is over all a great house and you should be happy with it if you get one. the thermal is worth the extra cost and 2lbs of weight. look for them to be in stores by the end of October or the first week of November.

here is the non thermal link :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/nanook-xl.html

here is the thermal link :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/nanook-xl-thermal.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Dubob your are welcome happy I could be of some help. Monticatgeek thank you for your reply to Dubob's question given your affiliation with Clam figured you would be the best person to ask questions about this new/remodeled shelter.
 Steve

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:53 AM »
new changes to it this year include the height being increased 8 inch so it is now taller then the original nanook, the seats have now been upgraded to the better deluxe seat unlike the original. the addition of the new doors and the option to buy a add on floor for it. here is the non thermal link : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/nanook-xl.html
I will be getting the thermal.  Looking at buying it through either Cabelas or Scheels as we have both here in Salt Lake City and I can get it delivered to the store without paying shipping.  Will also get the cover and runners to protect it behind the snowmobile and on hard ice we run on a lot.  I couldn't determine from the website description if the flip up can be put half way up to use as just a wind/sun break.  Also, one place says the poles are solid and in the pictures it looks like the poles can be extended - which is it?  Thanks for the help; much appreciated.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2019, 09:21 AM »

Would be interested in hearing what you think of the Clam Quality and functionality.  What say you?

I've had Frabill, I own an Eskimo, and I sold a Otter to move to the Clam flip over I have now. Clam gets bashed here pretty good on their quality, but I've been happy with mine so far. Maybe there were past issues that were fixed(?)

Compared to everything else I've had in the past, I wouldn't consider Clam to be any worse quality wise, besides the Otter sled. I think their material, in my case the insulated stealth material, is pretty good, better than I expected. There is enough of a skirt and the material hangs over the sled well, no need to velcro anything or add extra material on the seat edge like I had to do with my Otter. The framework, poles, all that seems OK, at first the brackets felt a little "light duty" but after being out in some pretty heavy wind, I have no concerns. Zippers, again, seem OK, not as nice as the Eskimo, in line with Frabill and Otter. The model I have is made for lightweight running and gunning, so the sled is a little thin, I'm pulling by had so not an issue to me, I'd say its in line with the Frabill I owned in the past. The included overhead storage net is a nice touch, plus I think I've got 4 pockets, plenty for a one man.

I wouldn't be worried about the quality on a Nanook, I see them everywhere. The one a buddy has that I sometimes fish out of was an older model, probably from when they first came out. It's held up well, he pulls it by hand and it can be a heavy pull in the slush or deeper snow, but is sounds like that wouldn't be a problem for you.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for that input.  I really do like my Eskimo EVO1 and plan to keep it for walk ons.  I really like the new side entry format of the Nanook XL.  Several times a year, I go with somebody that doesn't have a shelter and they can end up in some severe wind conditions - not fun.  Be nice to offer them some protection on those days.  The Nanook XL is not being shown on many retail sites yet, maybe because they are so new.  I hope Scheels/Cabela's get them in their inventory soon so I can have them shipped to my local store and save on the shipping.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Dubob all the best with your purchase of a Clam Nanook XL shelter. May you get many years of service from the shelter.
  Steve

Offline YtownThrowDown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Would anyone know the seat height on the XL? The only complaint I have on my Nanook Thermal is that the seat is too low for a long day on the ice.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I cant speak for the nanook specifically, but I'll tell you the insulation on my X200 pro I got the year before last is by far the warmest tent I have ever owned. Stayed on the ice alot last winter and never had my big buddy heater any higher than low, sometimes I had to turn it off as it was way to warm in the tent. Zippers, poles, windows, sled & tent have all performed great. Skunkedagain has a thermal nanook he traded geezer for and from what he's told me he loves that tent. I'm sure he will give you some feedback when he see's this thread
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Thanks Mat.  I'll hit up Jeff soon.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2019, 07:08 AM »
An update of sorts.  I stopped by Scheels in SLC on Monday and talked with Jordan (fishing dept manager) about them stocking the Nanook.  They (the SLC store) will not stock the flip-overs because they don't sell in Utah.  Hubs are the go to shelters here.  Clam requires large orders to stocking dealers (like 10 units of an item) to ship to them is what he told me.  They might be able to sell one or two so it is not in their interest to stock them.  Shceels.com while probably list them on line later this fall (maybe October/November) and I can order it on line and have it shipped free to the SLC store for pickup.  There is an oversized box fee of around $100 to have a Nanook shipped to my front porch.

I also emailed BPS/Cabelas and asked if they would be listing it on-line.  The reply was they didn't know if it would be or not.  I should just keep checking back on line to see.
  ::)

So, I guess I'll just have to wait a couple more months to order a Nanook on line.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:25 AM »
dubob
As the season gets closer check out Amazon or Dicks Sporting Goods. They will ship to your house at no additional charge. This past year I bought stuff from dicks and it was the cheapest and they run sales a lot, like 10 percent off orders over a certain amount or a dollar value off a certain amount. I also get some good deals shipped to my house from reeds. If you can wait for the holidays deals usually get better, black friday. 3 years ago I got a clam thermal x2 that was selling for 899 down to 599 on black friday at runnings.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:47 AM »
MCB,

Thanks for the heads up.  I just got off the phone with Clam Outdoors 5 minutes ago.  The new XL is new this year and isn't available from anybody except Clam Outdoors at the present.  Clam said the retailers will start receiving their 2019 shipments the end of September/early October.  I don't shop Dicks for political reasons.  I am an Amazon Prime member so I do check them all the time.  I can avoid the shipping costs at both Scheels and Cabelas by shipping it direct to the local store.  Right now the retail on the thermal direct from Clam is $529 plus shipping.  I'll be looking for sale prices of under $500 starting in October.  Appreciate your comments.  Tight lines to you this coming season.
 ;D :tipup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Hey Bob, seeing the comments above, I did remember one thing I didn't mention.  The seats are too low, so mine were modified with a spacer to raise them about 3", then I put mine on a 2x6 smitty which raised the seat a little more, but now it's just right for me and easy to stand when you get a fish on... Like I told you, I use mine as a shade/wind shelter mostly, so when one of the remote rods take off, it's fast to run and jump to catch the fish before it's gone...  I replaced my second seat with a table top to scatter gear and lunch and mount my camera monitor and such on, it makes a great set up... I'm a for sure thumbs up on this shelter and the extra standing height of the new one should be excellent... Best of luck on your decision... Later Jeff

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Clam lied about when they would be available.   ;D  Cabela's finely got them on their website within the last week.  They were listed as in stock and priced at $499.99.  And about 6 months ago, Cabela's reinstated their Military Discount for on-line purchases.  So, I ordered the Nanook and a cover for it from Cabela's with free shipping to the Farmington Store.  The cover will be here in 1 to 2 days and the Nanook is projected to take 1 to 2 weeks.  Cabela's doesn't carry the runner kit for the Nanook XL, so I had to order that direct from Clam Outdoors.  It should be here next week.  I have no idea if I will get it in time for the Henry's Lake trip in December and I will be hunting in Texas the week before that trip and will not be able to put it together until after I return from that trip.  So, it will be close; I'll know for sure if I can make the Henry's Lake trip about 1 or 2 days before the trip.

Since I won't be hauling this shelter by hand, I won't build a smitty sled for it.  It will always be hauled behind my snowmobile.  Catchinion from BFT has a very nice smitty he bought from icesled (?) that is an all pipe frame attached to the skis.  Very nice setup I'll try to duplicate for my EVO1 and my other walk on sled.

Life is good!  :icefish:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2019, 12:56 PM »
That's to bad they didn't get them out as you were told Bob. Being that I live just up the street, let me know if you need some help getting that together when you get back as I would be more than happy to come down and help you expedite that build. I'm waiting for Kevin to get back to me from the Rose on prices for rooms that will be with the group but not staying in the big room. I did see that smitty of cathinon's over on bft. That is a nice set up, light and should slide fairly easy.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2019, 05:59 PM »
My cover was delivered this morning - it came from the warehouse in Tooele.  This afternoon, I got a call from ADL Trucking and the Nanook will be delivered tomorrow.  I didn't know it until today, but Cabela's also has a warehouse in Salt Lake City and the Nanook is coming from there.  So I'll be putting it together as soon as I get the runner kit which might be early next week.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2019, 06:03 PM »
I just saw a FedEx tracking email that says the runner kit will be here Saturday.  What are your plans for Saturday Afternoon Matt?   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Just getting things ready for next thursday, but will have more than enough time to come down. What time you thinking?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I'll call you sometime Saturday after the runner kit gets here - if it does.  😀
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Sounds good
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Eddie Haskell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Cabela's doesn't carry the runner kit for the Nanook XL, so I had to order that direct from Clam Outdoors.

Life is good!  :icefish:

dubob do you have a part number for that kit? I have found kits ranging from 50 to 100 dollars but don’t know which is the actual kit I need and certainly don’t want to pay 100 bucks for them if I don’t have to!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:41 PM »
Click on image below to enlarge.

Here is the link to order it: Runner Kit 14614  The cost is $59.99 plus tax & shipping.

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Fish 4 Peace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2020, 05:33 PM »
I Love my 2018 version, quick set-up, comfortable and easy to organize. Holds up to heavy duty Wyoming (Pathfinder) winds!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.