Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice cleats
« on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:17 PM »
Hello all......... just found your site.very interesting and a lots of great tips. Does anyone have a plan to make homemade ice cleats to strap onto their boots.
      Thanks GULF

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re:Ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:23 PM »
Ive never made any homeade ice cleats but i did want to welcome you to this sight. Its awesome with a good group of people who know a ton about ice fishing. Keep us updated on your trips.
Tight Lines

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:32 PM »
For the price of them it's easier to buy them.Welcome too the Group.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:39 PM »
Welcome!!! some people use screws in the soles, I'v got some strap on cleats we usally have snow in the ice here in mich
Mike

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:46 PM »
i agree with polar you might as well buy some insted of the hassel of making them or if tight on cash use the strongest super glue and glue tacks on the bottom if you only use them for ice fishin thats what a friend did and he said the work great.
welcome also! ;D

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2003, 03:06 PM »
I stud the soles of my boots with #8 x 1/2" hex head sheet metal screws...no straps...can't forget them...can't loose them...you walk naturally...no lumpy cleats....CHEAP!

Best of all they grip like crazy!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2003, 03:14 PM »
Well its not impossible to slip with them but its very hard to and you can walk in them much easier than big cleats and if you step on something it doesn't tear it apart,...so I love my YAX TRAX,..you can but them around here for about 20 bucks,..EZ on and off,..so if you stop in somewhere you don't have to change your boots,.I think the time you take to make ones for your self and the materials you have to still but, I doubt you could do it for 20 bucks and these I still think would be better,....

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2003, 08:33 PM »
Well I just bought anothe pair I own a great pair couldnt tell you the name their about 20 years old but the pair I bought tody are built by HT 5.99 one size fits all looks like thell be ok not big picks on the bottom but simmilar to yak trax. Now we need a little ice to try them.
Cold Feet

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2003, 11:01 PM »
Thx guys for the info will keep this in mind and check the local stores  but still pride myself in trying to make better than store bought............GULF

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2003, 02:09 AM »
Yax Trax are way to go. Got some last year for my self. This I going to buy some for my son. :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:23 AM »
  Hey! Welcome to this site. If you love to tinker and ice fish your in the right place. There's a little friendly fighting that goes on from time to time but when there's ice they'll take a chill.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:39 AM »
I looked for Yak Trax couldnt find them. So I bought some Arctic spurs. They work great. Got pair for me and one for buddy. We both love em.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "LIFE IS SHORT,FISH HARD!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:57 AM »
If your a river fisherman like iam ,i use my Korkers,they work great and last a long time,i paid $35.00 for them and there worth every bit..also welcome to a very Cool 8) site...good fishing to ya :'(
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2003, 02:08 PM »
Thx guys for great info.......... does anyone have pics of there ice cleats???.............THx again  GULF

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2003, 05:47 PM »
hollis, perch inc,  I presently am using the original"get-a-grip" spikes like in cabelas, which work well on ice however they have gotten pulled off my -100 deg boots when going through some snow. How are the Yak-Trax when you have a combination of ice and snow.  I'd rather have something removeable but might have try rgfixit's idea. thanks
guy

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2003, 05:53 PM »
For 10 bucks the Artic Spurs are the best I have seen. They go on and off real easy and dont cut into the bottom of your foot and they are lite also....

Fishmon

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:42 AM »
I fish in upstate NY, and we usually have a snow cover on the ice so it is not too bad.  However, for the days you need cleats, hard to beat artic spurs for $10 or so.  I also have a pair of HT pull ons that I got at Walmart for $5.  They work fine and fit over Sorrels, etc., if you get the ones designed to fit over big boots.  I would not try to make cleats unless you have a lot of time to kill.  Main thing to remember is that a bad fall can really hurt you.  A friend of mine dislocated his shoulder when he slipped on some glass like ice.  After spending a few hours in emergency room plus three months of rehab, the corkers, yaktrax, etc. look real cheap!

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2003, 01:01 PM »
For sure  Fishmon....thats why I'm looking into it.better safe than sorry ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.