The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake St Catherine  (Read 1763 times)

Offline WizBang

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake St Catherine
« on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:59 PM »
Howdy Gang,
I take the kids every February to someplace for some ice fishing.  Found a good rental on Lake St Catherine.  Its on the east side along Halls Bay.  Anyone ever fished this place?  I won't be super mobile with 3 kids in tow.  Does this place have fish in that area?

Im open to suggestion if anyone has any other ideas....

Offline ajfitzg4

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake St Catherine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2024, 05:39 PM »
I fish it in the summer while camping at the state park.  Do well trolling for pike from cones point up towards the camp grounds.  Plenty of bass around as well.  There are lakers if you can find them.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:11 AM »
We rented a place and fished there for a few says last winter. The ice was a little sketchy which never makes things comfortable. We caught a few bass and pike, which were enough to keep things interesting but there are probably better places to go if you are really interested in catching fish.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:50 PM »
I'm in a similar situation as WizBang. I have a rental on St. Catherine in mid-February for a few days, on the west side across from the state park. It's an annual trip with my wife and kids and a buddy and his family. What's the ice situation up there right now? My trip is a ways off but it doesn't look like great ice-making weather in the 14 day forecast. My buddy who I'm going with is super paranoid and wants to cancel. I'm trying to tell him to remain calm.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:15 AM »
After Sunday my forecast says good ice making weather and no precipitation for a week after that. I wouldn't cancel yet.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:48 AM »
x2, if we can avoid further snow, there should be good ice.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2024, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not going to cancel. Worst case, there are some smaller waters in the area that should have better ice. I'll post again closer to Feb 17 and see how St Catherine is shaping up.  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2024, 06:47 AM »
Can anyone give an update on St Catherine ice conditions? I'm heading up early next Sat for a long weekend. I called Tom's Bait the other day and he wasn't optimistic. Said some guys are fishing it but there's spots of open water. I'm making the trip regardless but would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2024, 11:35 AM »
We got cold weather coming by mid week. Evening temps are dipping below freezing now. At least today isn't too sunny. Cross fingers. I may poke some holes in places like Dunmore and Fern Lake this week, just for thickness intel.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2024, 12:06 PM »
After Monday we’ll have about a week of “cooler” weather.  The high each day might be below freezing.  It’s not what we used to get but nowadays this is what we have to call a cold stretch.  Hopefully this will help the ice thicken up.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2024, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. The forecast this week does look promising. I'm sure I'll find some fishable ice, just maybe not right out the back door of the rental. I'm from southeastern CT where we had a three-day ice season this winter so I'm used to spudding and looking for 4" of ice. It almost reached 60 degrees where I'm at yesterday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.