Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 72034 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #300 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:09 PM »
2/2/2018

Well, the wind didn't disappoint any today. It blew a constant 15+mph with gusts up to 30mph. -12F wind chill was the lowest I saw. Got colder as night fell. Good day to stay inside the bobhouse.

Had a lot of dead smelt to chum with.

Caught 3 lakers and 3 cusk. It was a slow day, had several come through and tease throughout the day, kept acting like they were gonna hit the jig but wouldn't. They definitely wanted the jig moving and not laying still.
Lakers on a Kastmaster and cut bait. Cusk on smelt and glow in the dark bucktail.

Grilled Cheese Bacon Burgers for lunch.

Dead smelt

Wind was crazy

First Laker

Another...

Able to get the grill going

Bacon cheese burgers

Another....

Some cusk

Getting cold out.. almost time to go home

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #301 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:45 AM »
The way the wind was whipping on land I figured only the die hards would be out there...enter Jiggin! 😬
The wind is almost a deal breaker me...still having Ion issues and waiting for ANOTHER to be shipped under warranty. So called “new” auger they sent me last week was tried Thursday for the 1st time and it wouldn’t cut one hole...we think it was another defective one or a repaired one...No fun chipping out 8-10 holes by hand...this time they’re sending the new style cast iron head. Hopefully, this one will be the last.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Good morning, headed up today to set up bobhouses for next weekend.. couple questions, we are going to launch off Cummins today and head south just a bit, probably set up across from southern part of Mayhew.. Parking.. can we park over night at Cummins Beach? If not any suggestions we will have wheelers so we can ride from somewhere close if need be.. Thanks!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #303 on: Feb 03, 2018, 11:16 AM »
The way the wind was whipping on land I figured only the die hards would be out there...enter Jiggin! 😬
The wind is almost a deal breaker me...still having Ion issues and waiting for ANOTHER to be shipped under warranty. So called “new” auger they sent me last week was tried Thursday for the 1st time and it wouldn’t cut one hole...we think it was another defective one or a repaired one...No fun chipping out 8-10 holes by hand...this time they’re sending the new style cast iron head. Hopefully, this one will be the last.

Just wondering if this is an 8" or 10"?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #304 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Just wondering if this is an 8" or 10"?

This is an 8" original Ion with the reverse option not the "X" model.

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #305 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:26 PM »

Mowbizz, I’ve got a spare 6” ion auger bit you could borrow until you get your issues squared away. Cuts great, no issues. I’m not far from newfound so if you’d like to meet up today or tomorrow morning, shoot me a PM.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #306 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Mowbizz, I’ve got a spare 6” ion auger bit you could borrow until you get your issues squared away. Cuts great, no issues. I’m not far from newfound so if you’d like to meet up today or tomorrow morning, shoot me a PM.

Wow thanks for the generous offer! We wont be going out again until Tuesday the earliest because of the Super Bowl and doctor appt on Monday. (I may have the new auger bit by then)
I really appreciate the offer Scot! Thanks!

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:31 PM »
No problem, if something changes let me know. I just got the 8” with the cast bottom. It worked great this morning on Winni, except for the fact I couldn’t get any fish out of the holes!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #308 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Good morning, headed up today to set up bobhouses for next weekend.. couple questions, we are going to launch off Cummins today and head south just a bit, probably set up across from southern part of Mayhew.. Parking.. can we park over night at Cummins Beach? If not any suggestions we will have wheelers so we can ride from somewhere close if need be.. Thanks!
Best call the Bristol PD and they should know!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #309 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:47 PM »
No problem, if something changes let me know. I just got the 8” with the cast bottom. It worked great this morning on Winni, except for the fact I couldn’t get any fish out of the holes!

Yeah... that’s been our problem lately...dang fish wanna stay in the lake!
Again, thank you for the offer. If things change I’ll PM you.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #310 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Pumped for derby weekend.. dropped off our houses today off Wellington.. set up midway between Sandy and West Rd about 500yds out from the beach.. hopefully there are fish there.. either way will be a good time spending 2 nights out on the ice!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #311 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:13 PM »
This is an 8" original Ion with the reverse option not the "X" model.
Good luck with the replacement hope things work out OK for you.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Good luck with the replacement hope things work out OK for you.

Thank you! I hope so too!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #313 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:56 PM »
2/03/2018

Nice day as compared to yesterday. Had a rough morning getting set up but worked my way through it, sitting down for my first cup of coffee just before 9 am. I did manage to get 2 lakers while setting up which is another reason for taking so long. Later on caught a 3rd laker. CH got skunked today but did make a really nice breakfast for us.

Later decided to take a ride to the dark side but stopped at Laker Taker's house first to pick him up. He was doing a "Laker Taker Guide Service" today, got our early, got his house set up, camera down, bait cut, house warmed and then 2 of our friends showed up (which he had to transport them out to his house from the other side of the lake x 2 trips on his wheeler), they walk in, sat down and started catching lakers. Also used all his bait too. All for Free.....thinking he needs to rethink his "guide service"  ;D or i need to hire him. I show up when he's done getting everything set up, he picks me up, I sit down and start catching fish then leave when all his bait is gone....sounds like a good deal to me plus Price is right anyways.

Always fun going to the dark side....got to see Eddie Spaghetti catch 2 lakers on a tip up. So they actually do fish there but from that point on i really don't remember how i got back to my bobhouse. :)

Bacon Cheese Burgers again tonight for dinner (had to clean them up).

I managed to get in some cusk fishing but only got 1 small cusk. Will-I-Am stopped by for a visit, nice meeting you. Good luck with the bump tomorrow.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #314 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:12 PM »
2/04/2018

Slow day. I only caught one but that one was my 50th for the season! CH came out and couldn't hook up but they were there teasing her. She did make another nice breakfast for us.

At the end of the day, decided to bump my house over to 45fow. See what deeper water holds. Will find out next weekend.

Nice day overall, no wind, overcast and snow fall as i was getting ready to leave. Psycho and Butterfly are staying the night, perfect night for it.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:24 PM »
J, 50 fish must put you in the lead ! :)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #316 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:20 AM »
J, 50 fish must put you in the lead ! :)

Actually I think I'm 5 behind Laker Taker. I think he's up to 55 for the season so far. Im gaining!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #317 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Late weekend report, but better late than never ! represented the circus on the big lake on Saturday thanks to a hint to access by bucktail. Was able to haul up two lake trout, around 20” .good weather, hardly any wind..and cold ! Heated up some lasagna for lunch !
         Was able to try out my new oTTer hub style portable and loved it, the only thing I was disappointed with was the anchor screws...used my Eskimo anchors, they work much better!....this weekend should be interesting with snow coming

ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Late weekend report, but better late than never ! represented the circus on the big lake on Saturday thanks to a hint to access by bucktail. Was able to haul up two lake trout, around 20” .good weather, hardly any wind..and cold ! Heated up some lasagna for lunch !
         Was able to try out my new oTTer hub style portable and loved it, the only thing I was disappointed with was the anchor screws...used my Eskimo anchors, they work much better!....this weekend should be interesting with snow coming

Hey Tippin
We have an Otter Just like that one! Nice portables!
Did you get the thermal insulated one?
What’s the difference between the Otter and Eskimo anchors if I might ask? Only used the Otter ones and never had any others.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #319 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:44 PM »
The Eskimo leading threads are at a steeper angle wich bites a lot more, and easy to start, but other wise than that great hub...really rigid to the wind !
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #320 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Episode 2......

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #321 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Another great video, always look forward to watching!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #322 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Another great video, always look forward to watching!

X2!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #323 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Love the pics, vids and stories. Stay safe up there and good luck at the Derby.
Hope to make it up for the IS get together this year!

Tight lines to all the Circus!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #324 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Nice video and again with the good tunes!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #325 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:20 PM »
ScotNH Please check your PM’s

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:47 PM »
ScotNH Please check your PM’s

Got it.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #327 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Got it.

Thanks Scot! Any luck today?

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #328 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:10 PM »
No problem. No luck. One hit jigging, nothing on my cusk traps!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #329 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:12 AM »
A big THANKS to ScotNH for generously, offering us his spare 6” Ion auger shaft so we could bounce our house before the storm!
Roccus also offered his brand new Jiffy as well! Thank you Roccus!
We got the house bounced out of Pikes Bay and back to “the sticks” area where we started the season. All went well and it was good to have my Ion cutting holes like butter (thanks to ScotNH!)
My 2nd 8” auger shaft is “out for delivery” from UPS in Laconia. Hopefully it will get here soon. Snow is falling really heavy right now.
Thanks to all and stay safe out there...see you after the storm.
Scot, if it’s okay with you we’ll return your auger tomorrow after we dig out...it’s sitting next to the wood stove so the ice melts off! 😀

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.