The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: White Perch  (Read 16089 times)

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White Perch
« Reply #90 on: Mar 22, 2021, 11:47 AM »
are you matts buddy?

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #91 on: Mar 22, 2021, 12:29 PM »
are you matts buddy?
Yes....assuming you were asking me?
Chasing Ice

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Mar 22, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Me and a handful of friends were out there late Friday. They were in thick all afternoon, and we probably iced about 450 pounds of them. Only a few other folks out there with us, but everyone was tearing into them! Several fish came in at over 14", and the average size was big. Didn't think the ice would even make it to Saturday, so sat the weekend out! Although I did hear there were a few caught Saturday, but they were spotty. Was starting to think the local population had been wiped out, but needless to say, I don't think that anymore. haha.

A few pics: https://imgur.com/a/9u23p9i

Stay safe if you venture out there, but I'd steer clear of the ice there at this point.

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 22, 2021, 10:05 PM »
Me and a handful of friends were out there late Friday. They were in thick all afternoon, and we probably iced about 450 pounds of them. Only a few other folks out there with us, but everyone was tearing into them! Several fish came in at over 14", and the average size was big. Didn't think the ice would even make it to Saturday, so sat the weekend out! Although I did hear there were a few caught Saturday, but they were spotty. Was starting to think the local population had been wiped out, but needless to say, I don't think that anymore. haha.

Stay safe if you venture out there, but I'd steer clear of the ice there at this point.

Nice Haul Weatherman!  At least someone slammed them.  Whenever I've been around traffic on the ice, only a couple times I've fished in the crowds (a few years ago) I haven't had much luck with them, they were always on the move, pluck a few and then gone.  I have had them all to myself before where I've gotten about 140#'s of them.  22 gallons I believe it was, not fun dragging the one man pull over back to shore though, that was back when Martell still had the bait shop on Chubb Road. 

Fun as hell to catch but I can't stand eating them.

Anyone ever try smoking the bigger ones?

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Mar 23, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Yes....assuming you were asking me?
yes i was. had a feeling it was you.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Mar 24, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Nice haul on the whites !

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:52 PM »

.  That's a view on my Helix I would love to see , Holy crap!

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Mar 26, 2021, 04:19 AM »
what is a white perch ?

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #98 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:39 AM »
what is a white perch ?
Very similar to a white bass. Its a schooling panfish. High meat yield for their size. wicked fun to catch. great to eat.
Chasing Ice

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:25 PM »
I'm patient!  First of May I will troll live shiners at Georgia shore.
Some salmon and browns but white perch will keep me busy.
Dick

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Apr 09, 2021, 12:49 PM »
Nice Haul Weatherman!  At least someone slammed them.  Whenever I've been around traffic on the ice, only a couple times I've fished in the crowds (a few years ago) I haven't had much luck with them, they were always on the move, pluck a few and then gone.  I have had them all to myself before where I've gotten about 140#'s of them.  22 gallons I believe it was, not fun dragging the one man pull over back to shore though, that was back when Martell still had the bait shop on Chubb Road. 

Fun as hell to catch but I can't stand eating them.

Anyone ever try smoking the bigger ones?

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks! Yeah, definitely fun to catch, and if you were in Maine or New Hampshire, they'd be more sought after than yellow perch. I grew up in Maine and there, white perch were held in esteem, and yellows in contempt, to the point where you'd often see people just chucking yellows on the ice for the birds... Here it's the opposite. I find this funny. Both are good eating in my opinion. Pound for pound, I would say I prefer yellows over whites, flavor-wise, but the difference is small. Regardless, when you are icing whites by the bucketful, it's tough for me to justify going after yellows when I am trying to fill the freezer. Doesn't stop me though. haha. Whites run bigger as well, so you're talking less effort per pound of fillet, despite their tougher scales. Electric fillet knives are where it's at!

The fish in the purple bucket were mine, and though it took me like 5 hours to fillet and clean them all, I ended up with about 17 pounds of fillet. I ended up freezing them on cookie sheets, then putting them into vacuum bags. Half with a beer batter, and half with a hearty breadcrumb coating. Now whenever I want a fish sandwich, I can open a bag, throw a few into the deep fryer, and get fat. Haha.

I haven't tried smoking them, but I hear they are good that way. Smoking can make an old boot taste good, so I usually smoke lakers that way. I like to use cherry or apple wood, but I have also tried peach and maple.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.