The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LOTW gone/going down hill  (Read 2433 times)

Offline FrozenTRD

• IceShanty Rookie
LOTW gone/going down hill
« on: Jan 23, 2023, 07:43 AM »
I have been going to the northwest angle for the last 12 years; I just got back from this years trip. It used to be great; would rarely see other houses/people, be selective with keeping fish, catch limits...Now there are houses everywhere, looks like the south shore. Our group of 5 would be lucky to catch 8 or 10 eaters in a day (not keeping 12 inches). Not nearly number or size of fish anymore. Everyone that we talked to said the same thing.
Any of you guys seeing the same thing? Are the glory days gone?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LOTW gone/going down hill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:59 AM »
Last year when we went to Flag Island Resort we had a great trip. Crappies on the Canadian side were very plentiful. Walleyes were phenomenal. I caught an released a 28-1/2 inch walleye. Saugers mixed in with the walleye. Pike were caught on occasion.

This year we are heading to Sioux Narrows for lakers due to Flag Island being closed.

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LOTW gone/going down hil
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:32 PM »
I have been going to the northwest angle for the last 12 years; I just got back from this years trip. It used to be great; would rarely see other houses/people, be selective with keeping fish, catch limits...Now there are houses everywhere, looks like the south shore. Our group of 5 would be lucky to catch 8 or 10 eaters in a day (not keeping 12 inches). Not nearly number or size of fish anymore. Everyone that we talked to said the same thing.
Any of you guys seeing the same thing? Are the glory days gone?

Where have you been going out of?

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:50 PM »
I stayed in a sleeper a few years back with some friends. I couldn't have been less impressed.  Better walleye fishing in indiana.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline FrozenTRD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LOTW gone/going down hil
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2024, 06:45 PM »

Where have you been going out of?

Always went with Flag Island Resort...I'd kind of like to know what all went on with it closing for this winter.
I'm considering trying Sunset this winter...not sure if they have openings, but its been on my mind.

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:54 PM »
2024 experience out of Ballards shows just ‘okay’ fishing.   This year has been jacked up for sure weather wise - but fish weren’t plentiful or large.   It’s still a great experience if you’re not expecting a trophy walleye every other day.   

Just too damn many people fishing and harvesting - not that anyone asked my opinion…..

Offline FrozenTRD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:13 PM »
"Just too damn many people fishing and harvesting"

This is what I wonder about...and with the advances in electronics, sleeper houses (= more hours of fishing), bigger boats (= can handle bigger and rougher waters); how much pressure can fish handle (not just LOTW)?

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11:57 AM »
We fishing out of Arnesen's Rocky Point Resort last week (Monday - Wednesday) and did real well.  We got walleye, sauger, perch, burbot, pike and tullibee in around 30 - 35 feet of water. Our catch included 1 walleye and 1 pike that were above the slot limits and some huge perch. Our best baits included: 1/4 - 3/8 oz buckshot spoons (super glo goldfish - glows pink on the back & super glo fire tiger - glows chartreuse on the back - baited with 1/2 a minnow), VMC Tingler Spoons (pink and gold) baited with 1/2 a minnow, Lindy Glow Spoon (1/4 oz. - Pink Scale) baited with 1/2 a minnow, and dead sticks with (#8 trebles with 2 - 8mm glow beads or pink #4 Gamakatsu octopus hooks both baited with live minnows) under slip bobbers. We found out that the rattle baits sometimes scared the fish away so we did more bottom bouncing & tapping than hard jigging. Most of the time our jigging spoons were 2 - 6 inches off the bottom and our dead sticks were about 12 inches off bottom.  We had warm weather but (mid to upper 30s) still fished on 20 - 22 inches of ice in heater ice houses.  We hear that the weather is getting colder there this week so they should be building ice again soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.