Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75699 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
3 seasons on my 8 inch K/milwaukee/clam plate (no gear box) combo.  Only cut out I've had is a dead battery.  Tried Nils, wouldn't cut anymore after half a season. Chipper blades of the K drill have gone 3 seasons without a sharpening. Is nils faster and more efficient? for sure, is it as maintenance free? Not in my opinion.  The cut out issues have nothing to do with the auger and everything to do with the drill.

You should see mine.  One has a bent powerpoint, dent in the cutting head, the flights have most of the paint knocked off and the shaft is actually a bit bent and still drills.  I know people have issues with the nils but I've used my a lot and never had an issue.  Did notice when dull...they will eat a fuel battery up fast.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
You should see mine.  One has a bent powerpoint, dent in the cutting head, the flights have most of the paint knocked off and the shaft is actually a bit bent and still drills.  I know people have issues with the nils but I've used my a lot and never had an issue.  Did notice when dull...they will eat a fuel battery up fast.

Ya man idk, this was before I had a drill setup so I haven't tried it like that, but by hand it just does not want to cut. It has the powerpoint which I always felt was a hindrance trying to cut by hand, but when they became all the rage and I had to have one I didn't even know there was different versions. I keep saying next year I'm going to send it out to get sharpened and never do it.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have never tried a Nils

But my Finbore III is one of fastest augers around ...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
drilled well over 50 holes the last 2 days n nights.(8" ice)  some nasty ice with what felt like a couple layers or huge cracks or something.  it was catching and busting chunks down there big time!  it only cut out one time and that's the third cutout total since I have had it on the ice. 

im very happy with my drill.  if anyone is having issues id send it back.  I have bee very impressed with mine.  construction worker all my life and have handled many.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
So I finally pushed the Octane to see how it does in deep ice. Have to say I'm more than impressed.

Overload protection test. 32" of ice. How many holes till the drill cuts out??

Link to the footage:
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
impressive!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks for doing the vid. Quite the eye opener!

That settles it.  I guess I'll be buying a Nils next year.  It appears to be superior to anything else out there and the issues I've seen with my Ridgid drill this year are very likely related to the extra torque needed for the KDrill.   I still need a bigger hole than 8" though so I'll pick up an ice saw to connect holes, but this test made me a believer that I probably need to ditch the KDrill and it's not a drill issue it's an auger issue.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!

That settles it.  I guess I'll be buying a Nils next year.  It appears to be superior to anything else out there and the issues I've seen with my Ridgid drill this year are very likely related to the extra torque needed for the KDrill.   I still need a bigger hole than 8" though so I'll pick up an ice saw to connect holes, but this test made me a believer that I probably need to ditch the KDrill and it's not a drill issue it's an auger issue.
You won’t regret getting a Nils. Not knocking the KDrill by any means, but they do draw more torque. If I was fishing like you, I’d have a saw.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
also, the k-drill is not a true 8" auger either.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I will say that I slapped my 8" Lazer on my ridgid recently, and the thing is nuts....cuts faster than my 6" K-Drill.

Not really impressed by the quality of the K-Drill blades tbh.  I picked up the 6" back in December I think, and it looked like someone had tried to drill through a rock with the blades....I contacted the Gander I got it from and they sent new blades.  I sharpened the crapty ones and put them back on.  It cut like butter for a week and then went dull again....I figured I didn't sharpen them right, or they were just too banged up. 

Put the brand new blades on, and after 1 weekend I had the same issue.  Threw up a huge burr on the cutting edge of the blades.  If it keeps happening next year I'll be running a 6" Lazer instead.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
4 seasons now on my 1st set of k drill blades, never sharpened. I used my k drill this year side by side with a nero and it felt like the nero was using way more torque. The nero is much faster cutting big chunks of ice, which imo uses more torque. K drill takes a lot more revolutions to cut a hole, but less torque, those revolutions are why it eats battery faster. That's why it's gonna heat up your drill cutting a bunch of holes in a row. I was cutting 5-6 holes each 10 feet apart through 24 inches no problem.

If you are getting a saw you can use any auger, might as well get a 5 inch lazer or something similar.

Offline captainanalfin

• IceShanty Rookie
K-Drill
« Reply #731 on: Jul 26, 2019, 03:27 PM »
I bought the two Kdrills.  The 6 and 8 inch drill.  I used the Dewalt 996.  Complete game changer.  Faster and quieter than my other gas augers.  If I need a 10” hole I’ll use my Eskimo z71.  It doesn’t drill a hole.  It’s got so much power the hole ice sheet spins.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.