The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to Vermont, looking for some local insight  (Read 1716 times)

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Vermont, looking for some local insight
« on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Hi all, I'm a CT resident who's been coming to Vermont since I was 4 to ski, and I've been getting a lot more into fishing, especially for walleye, crappie and catfish, and we just got a place up here (in Plymouth) so I'll be able to explore some fisheries up here quite a bit, totally excited to see what this beautiful state has to offer for catches and just sights to see.

I know the ice season is starting to close, and there probably isn't too many places that will hold safe ice through this week, so I'm wondering if there are any open spots around Chittenden or maybe Adam's Res. that are suitable for some early spring bank fishing. If not, back to to the CT River I go, but I figured I'd ask the people who know. Hope y'all had a good ice season and good luck this spring, walleye spawn is coming 😁👍🤞 thanks in advance for any info, and everyone be safe #tightlines

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to Vermont, looking for some local insight
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2021, 02:32 PM »
I'd check out the state fish and wildlife handbook, for some year-round open to fishing spots near you: http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/fishing/

Unless you target specific species, or go to Champ or certain feeder tributaries, or parts of the CT River, you're going to be limited to catch and release with artificial lures/flies only mostly. Also, remember that technically New Hampshire has jurisdiction over the CT River along the VT border, so you'll be subject to their rules.

Good luck!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:50 PM »
I’m not familiar with your area, but I would guess the ct river is close enough for you?
Great fishing spring, summer and fall.
There’s some nice walleyes.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I definitely want to check out Champlain asap, I'm just not sure what the bank/shoreline access is like currently with ice melt and flow, I want to get my kayak out there, too. I've been checking out some spots on the CT River; Sumner Falls, Herricks Cove and Hoyt's Landing, and I explored a bit under the Bellows Falls Dam but no luck yet on fish, but I definitely enjoyed how serene and beautiful the upper river is.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Sumners falls, area around Hartford dam are good spots on the ct river.
North of hoyts landing is popular spot for walleye.
Good luck
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Sumners falls, area around Hartford dam are good spots on the ct river.
North of hoyts landing is popular spot for walleye.
Good luck

Back at you, thanks again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.