The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 40+" gator from Colchester pond  (Read 3605 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
40+" gator from Colchester pond
« on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:15 PM »
Was shown some really nice pics of some guys monster pike outta Colchester pond.  Looked like his young fishing buddy had a nice keeper as well.  Anybody know the story? Fish that big always have a cool story  ;D ???
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: 40+" gator from Colchester pond
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Surprised any thing that old is still alive in that pond.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:32 AM »
The Facebook post says it was 40 inches and 20.3 pounds.  A definite beast.

And with the amount of fishing pressure there, that really is an amazing fish. I was there Sunday, too, and the biggest one I caught was 19 inches. That's a snack for a beast like that.

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Crazy how everyone is amazed a fish like that came out of the lake. I saw the post, even the guy who caught it was amazed. My question... why keep it, if it was such an amazing catch?

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:10 AM »
yeah no reason to keep big ones like that from Colchester Pond.  its a great fishery for beginners and that is a trophy catch.  I hope eating it was really worth it.
Fish on

Offline the_doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:50 AM »
*kicks hornet's nest*
That place should go 100% catch and release for a few years and then switch to some special regulations.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:53 AM »
Maybe the guy wants to have it mounted or eat it  etc. He caught it and he can do with the fish as he wishes, if you like C&R that is fine but he didn't and so be it! ;)

Offline the_doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:02 PM »
Maybe the guy wants to have it mounted or eat it  etc. He caught it and he can do with the fish as he wishes, if you like C&R that is fine but he didn't and so be it! ;)

True, it's his right to keep that fish and by the book no one did anything wrong. I keep plenty of fish and don't mind others doing so. But that pond could have a lot better fishing if it was better managed, in my opinion. Just my $.02.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:38 PM »
Colchester Pond used to be amazing and fish like that while not common were caught every year. But people got greedy and the state regs imho are way to loose on northern pike. Before you knew it it was fished out. It's so sad.

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:30 PM »
I certainly don't blame the guy for keeping the fish. But it's a pretty small body of water and there can't be very many fish that size, and they're important for keeping the number of small pike under control.

*kicks hornet's nest*
That place should go 100% catch and release for a few years and then switch to some special regulations.

Special regulations make sense to me. Maybe something like the walleye rules at Carmi with a reduced overall limit and a protected slot?

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Colchester Pond used to be amazing and fish like that while not common were caught every year. But people got greedy and the state regs imho are way to loose on northern pike. Before you knew it it was fished out. It's so sad.
agreed on the pike regulations needing to be changed.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:10 PM »
On the smaller bodies of water I could see some more restrictive limits, but I have zero problem with anyone keeping a legal fish. Be it one or a limit of them. If it’s within the law get after it.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:31 PM »
I’ve caught a few nice pike there including a 38 inch one two years ago. Lots of small ones in there so it’s nice when I bring the kids because they are chasing flags and like the excitement of catching 20 inch pike.

Completely agree that CP should have some stiffer regs however I don’t have an issue with fisherman keeping legal fish.

As far as that 38 inch pike....knowing that fish may have been 15 years old with amazing genetics and was helping keep the smaller pike in check, I snapped a few pictures with my son and to my sons disbelief sent him back down the hole for another family to enjoy.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Congrats to the fisherman, hopefully he is having a nice skin mount done with that one.
Would love to see a slot on northerns, at least on Champlain. Maybe keep the limit at 5, but no keep between 34ish and 40 inches, and only keep 1 over 40. After 3 or 4 years 40-42s would be much more common, with the data I have seen.
I'm no biologist though, not even a bucket biologist. If creel limits were to be changed, I'd hope the changes were based on science and are biologically sound for the fishery.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Pike addict you are spot on. A slot would generate more trophy fish. You are still going to lose fish to improper handling, gill hooked, etc but if you
protected the near trophy fish 32-40 we would see a lot more 40+. I don't target pike in the winter but target them a lot during the summer/fall.

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Dear lord before I die, I would love to see a pike slot limit.  I'm thinking 32" (8 pounds) to 36" (12 Pounds) could be the slot.  That's just my opion.   The state has recognize many deer hunters want a better portion of the deer herd to be trophy deer and have adjusted the law to suit that public interest.  That being said, maybe it will happen one day.  I have my fingers crossed.   

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:57 AM »
They the pike study like 5 years ago, never heard anything from it.
They also need to lower the amount you can keep.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2021, 02:45 PM »
A slot limit and one fish a day limit would make a huge difference.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:07 PM »
Agreed
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline ICESTICK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:10 PM »
X2

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:34 PM »
I grew up near the Connecticut River and the slot limit on walleye there really benefited the fishing there.  It would be nice to see one on pike in Vermont but not a 1 fish limit.  It wouldn't even be worth the crazy cost of bait if that was the reg. 

Offline Tacoma Marty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Spent a few hours out in the wind and luckily my shanty held up!  Slow fishing but 10" of good ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.