Author Topic: ... maybe next Rotary Derby  (Read 602 times)

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
... maybe next Rotary Derby
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Well it wasn't a skunking this weekend but no derby fish that could make the board. Went out Saturday with a large group of people. Had about 12 traps in total. Caught a Laker right before 12:00 PM but it was about 2 inches short of the 22" Derby requirement. This was caught on a Smelt about 4 feet off the bottom in roughly 50 feet of water. The only other fish we caught was a Salmon, which was released immediately at the hole. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 4 pounds. It ran every time it saw the hole. That was caught on a Smelt as well but this Smelt was only 2-3 feet below the ice over about 25-30 feet of water.

I'm guessing the reason we got into the Salmon was because the Smelt was only a few feet down. Has other people had that happen as well? We were hoping to target some Rainbow Trout with the Smelt right below the ice, which we heard can be a good way to target them.

Wasn't discouraging and definitely better than last years weekend, which was all but a skunking besides a small perch. Hoping next year brings a few more fish. Still learning new things every season.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

- Chad

BrookieSlayer99

Re: ... maybe next Rotary Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:48 PM »
In Winni IMO you’ll catch way more salmon doing the “under the ice” method than you will rainbows. I put tip ups just under the ice in lakes where salmon are less abundant, because as you stated it is a good way to get them as well as fishing shallow. Winni has too many salmon for me to use that method

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ... maybe next Rotary Derby
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:05 PM »
In Winni IMO you’ll catch way more salmon doing the “under the ice” method than you will rainbows. I put tip ups just under the ice in lakes where salmon are less abundant, because as you stated it is a good way to get them as well as fishing shallow. Winni has too many salmon for me to use that method

I appreciate the input. This is what I kind of figured after it happened might have been the case. Something I'll keep in mind during future trips when targeting rainbow trout in anything but shallow water.

-Chad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.